The Student Room Group

Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games

Scroll to see replies

I've also been offered an interview for Press Operations, so I must have put that as one of my selections, although I only remember applying for Spectator Services. Anyone else for an interview on May 31st?
Reply 61
Original post by DJTom
:mad::frown: will they be opening it back up im quite shocked at it closing that early.

Dob't think so. They have more than double the number of applications that they need. They are interviewing between now and December.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Still not heard back for an interview...hmmm
I got an email in early April for transport, which was my second preference.

A little disappointed that I didn't get spectator services, but the transport role involves the media, officials and athletes, so the chance of getting a glimpse of Tom Daley (such a fangirl) is still a possibility!

My interview is on 18 June, so flying up from London the night before. Any of you from Glasgow and have any good recommendations for things to see, places to eat at?

I did read somewhere that they are sending interviews out very slowly. Gmail put the confirmation email into my spam filter; so it may be worth checking that. Good luck to everyone else!
I have an interview for Spectator services on Friday, anyone else going? I am quite nervous for the interview and I'm wondering what the "experience" is! What would you suggest to wear? Because I didn't want to go formal, but jeans can't be okay can they..? Has anyone done the interview already?
Reply 65
Original post by clarrison96
I have an interview for Spectator services on Friday, anyone else going? I am quite nervous for the interview and I'm wondering what the "experience" is! What would you suggest to wear? Because I didn't want to go formal, but jeans can't be okay can they..? Has anyone done the interview already?

Yeah I had my interview last month. I was nervous about what to wear as well and ended up wearing blue skinnies and a white polo shirt, if anything I felt overdressed, most people were in casual clothes :smile: The whole experience is really relaxed, everyone's friendly, so don't worry at all

Original post by megantrace
I got an email in early April for transport, which was my second preference.

A little disappointed that I didn't get spectator services, but the transport role involves the media, officials and athletes, so the chance of getting a glimpse of Tom Daley (such a fangirl) is still a possibility!

My interview is on 18 June, so flying up from London the night before. Any of you from Glasgow and have any good recommendations for things to see, places to eat at?

I did read somewhere that they are sending interviews out very slowly. Gmail put the confirmation email into my spam filter; so it may be worth checking that. Good luck to everyone else!

haha I hope you get to see Tom Daley! :P As far as Glasgow goes, I would recommend Kelvingrove, it's fantastic. And my favourite restaurant has to be the Chaophraya, it's a Thai place on the main shopping street, Buchanan Street, and is probably the nicest restaurant I've ever been to in my life!! The building is gorgeous and the main eating area used to be a ballroom so yeah I would definitely recommend you check it out :smile:
Reply 66
Hi guys, I also applied to volunteer at the Glasgow 2014 games as many of you here after volunteering at the London 2012 games. I was wondering if anyone knows any places or sites where I could get cheap accommodation for 8 or 9 days. My application is still "processing" but I think its better to research from now if I do get the lucky and wonderful chance to take part in these games. Off course I am a student and will be travelling by myself to for these eight days so if anyone has any good recommendations, I would be more than grateful.
Reply 67
Try looking at universities there are 3 in Glasgow and I am sure they rent out halls over the summer. not the best but should be cheap-ish and you can self-cater which is cheaper
Reply 68
Original post by kingshan16
Hi guys, I also applied to volunteer at the Glasgow 2014 games as many of you here after volunteering at the London 2012 games. I was wondering if anyone knows any places or sites where I could get cheap accommodation for 8 or 9 days. .

Some may remember that our group arranged a forum to help 2012 volunteers to find cheap accommodation last year, over 500 were successful. We plan to again do the same for Glasgow 2014.
Reply 69
Original post by Divingbrit
Some may remember that our group arranged a forum to help 2012 volunteers to find cheap accommodation last year, over 500 were successful. We plan to again do the same for Glasgow 2014.

Hello mate, thanks guys for the reply. That sounds amazing. Really hoping I get the chance to go, that thread would be of great help to me, as accommodation is the only thing worrying me due to cost and just security as I will be by myself.
Looks like i may be a bit late in this but anyone else get an interview for helping out at the cycling?
Interview actually was quite fun and had the nicest person ever interviewing me!
Bring on 2014! :biggrin:
Reply 71
Invites and Interviews, will still be going out for many months. Glasgow seem to have been quicker off the marks with their recruitment than London.
Original post by Divingbrit
Invites and Interviews, will still be going out for many months. Glasgow seem to have been quicker off the marks with their recruitment than London.

December or something before we find out isnt it? :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 73
Well, invites have been sent out for the last couple of months, Transport Team, and Press, and I heard today Village operations have all started recruiting.
But going on the time scale of London, when most did not hear until September, there is still plenty of time,
I got my interview in April, for the cycling events. And if i remember right, the woman who interviewed me said that it was between December and February we found out. With initial training in March, then May and then June/July with the actual volunteering during the games obviously?
Reply 75
So I have an interview for Spectator Services for tomorrow... slightly nervous!
Reply 76
I have my interview tomorrow morning for Sport Competition...
I have no idea what to expect or what to wear... I'm secretly hoping they don't ask any really technical questions because I'm new to the sport I put down

Any advice?
Reply 77
Original post by BenProcter
I have my interview tomorrow morning for Sport Competition...
I have no idea what to expect or what to wear... I'm secretly hoping they don't ask any really technical questions because I'm new to the sport I put down

Any advice?

First thing is to stop worrying, they are more interested in your attitude than any technical question, you are being interviewed as a volunteer, not an expert. I was two weeks at the Olympic Basketball Arena, and still have no idea of how many players make up a Team!
Smile a lot, relax, and be passionate about Glasgow, Scotland and the Games and don't look for trick questions that aren't there!
As for what to wear, something comfortable and clean, if you are selected, you will be provided with a uniform, for now, why not dress to impress a new girl friend :-)
Reply 78
GREAT NEWS! TICKET APPLICATIONS FOR THE GLASGOW 2014 COMMONWEALTH GAMES OPEN IN EXACTLY ONE WEEK!
Team Scotland and seventy other nations and territories will compete for medal glory in 17 sports across 11 days of competition, making Glasgow 2014 Scotland's largest ever sporting and cultural event.

But remember, it's not a sprint you can apply any time between 19 August and 16 September, and we've made sure the process is simple and fair.
Reply 79
I've got an interview for results technology services on the 18th November :smile: is anyone else got an interview for results technology and want are the interview's like in general from people who have already had theirs

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending