The Student Room Group

Applying for biochem but only took chemistry

Basically, I chose Chemistry, History, Economics and English Literature as AS subjects. And now I've realised that I want to do biochemistry or a chemistry with experience in industry course.
Is there any chance that I would be accepted onto one of those courses by any universities? What if I did just an AS in biology next year when I'm doing A2?
Or is it just out of the question?
Thank you.
Reply 1
I can't offer a lot of advice, but I do know some universities want at least one or the other, so you'll probably be fine :smile: If in doubt, check out the universities you're interested in and look at the prospectuses, or email the university if you're still unsure :smile: Best of luck!
Most of the unis I've looked up before I applied(also for biochem) required Chemistry + another Science or Maths...
Reply 3
Original post by Nonetensaresme
Basically, I chose Chemistry, History, Economics and English Literature as AS subjects. And now I've realised that I want to do biochemistry or a chemistry with experience in industry course.
Is there any chance that I would be accepted onto one of those courses by any universities? What if I did just an AS in biology next year when I'm doing A2?
Or is it just out of the question?
Thank you.

If you really want to study Biochemistry, I'd advise you to start AS Biology now and self-teach it to sit it in June and then do A2 as normal next year. Self-teaching should look quite good on your personal statement too and so should 5 AS subjects. It really depends on how important this is to you and whether you think you can pull of the grades, though. Also, I'd say Mathematics would be very useful too, but self teaching that as well may not be a great idea, unless you are really committed that is.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Some unis only want chemistry, so it is possible to do chemistry on its own, but will require more work on your behalf.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending