The Student Room Group

is it worth to take additional fm??

I'm planning to take
- Maths
- Fm
- Additional FM
- Physics

The question is

a) Does it worth it??? I think I will study mathematics in university.

b) Too much work load?? (as a reference I got 98% in my gcse maths)
Personally I think you're better off doing some (or all) the STEP papers rather than the Additional FM for university applications. It would only be the same workload as doing 4 A Levels but you would end up doing all the maths modules and believe me there are gonna be some you don't enjoy... For instance D2, as well as M5 and S4? Have you contemplated this? You could do the AS in Year 13 which would mean you could skip some of the modules you don't enjoy as much. Have you got a possible fourth subject?

Having said all that I would have taken the Additional FM A Level in a heartbeat given the chance. If you really enjoy maths then go for it; you can always drop it in Year 13 - my point is that it probably won't improve your application hugely but it will be fun :smile: (and you'd also be very capable by the looks of it)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
I would say definitely. I'm doing further and its great fun! It mostly extends normal maths, but quite a bit of new material. I managed will/to do all modules bar 2 (m4 and s4). Also you can do step as well, but I would disagree this cant_think_of_name as STEP isn't necessarily hard maths, but more a unique problem solving way (you will need) but not always of the hard maths (though I've only done STEP 1). Also apparently (so I've been told) Reduction Formulae are super useful later on at degree level, and thats FP2.

Original post by cant_think_of_name
Personally I think you're better off doing some (or all) the STEP papers rather than the Additional FM for university applications. It would only be the same workload as doing 4 A Levels but you would end up doing all the maths modules and believe me there are gonna be some you don't enjoy... For instance D2, as well as M5 and S4? Have you contemplated this? You could do the AS in Year 13 which would mean you could skip some of the modules you don't enjoy as much. Have you got a possible fourth subject?

Having said all that I would have taken the Additional FM A Level in a heartbeat given the chance. If you really enjoy maths then go for it; you can always drop it in Year 13 - my point is that it probably won't improve your application hugely but it will be fun :smile: (and you'd also be very capable by the looks of it)

I dunno about you but on OCR M5 doesn't exist. Also D2 is fantastic (D modules are easy and some of the most informative) . Decision is all about algorithms and is best for a comp sci degree, but quite cool.
Reply 3
STEP or AEA would be a more fun and improve your maths much more.
Reply 4
If you are completely certain you want to do maths at university then I see nothing wrong with it. You are probably going to have quite a lot of free time to focus on AEA/ STEP, which is nice.
Reply 5
Also how would it work timetabling wise?
Lots of the modules are dependant on earlier content so you'd end up self teaching yourself most of it probably.
Original post by Mattywooda
I would say definitely. I'm doing further and its great fun! It mostly extends normal maths, but quite a bit of new material. I managed will/to do all modules bar 2 (m4 and s4). Also you can do step as well, but I would disagree this cant_think_of_name as STEP isn't necessarily hard maths, but more a unique problem solving way (you will need) but not always of the hard maths (though I've only done STEP 1). Also apparently (so I've been told) Reduction Formulae are super useful later on at degree level, and thats FP2.

I dunno about you but on OCR M5 doesn't exist. Also D2 is fantastic (D modules are easy and some of the most informative) . Decision is all about algorithms and is best for a comp sci degree, but quite cool.

I never said that STEP would be harder, you're right though it is definitely a different type of maths and it's more similar to how universities do maths than at school so it's a good bridge.

OP didn't mention which exam board so I guess we have to wait and see :tongue: as for preference of modules, whatever floats your boat! Personally I don't really like Decision but I can see why people would. Reduction formulae is FP3 for me and that's part of FM :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest