The Student Room Group

Muscle Car as a first car in the UK

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by BritBoyWonder
I haven't seen this thread posted before so i wanted to find out exactly if it is actually possible for a 19 year old to have a muscle car,besides the cost on petrol will insurance really be that bad? I see load of american teens owning mustangs and camaros i just don't see why we cant..

Our quater back is American, and owns a Mustang back home. Difference is his insurance is almost nothing when compared to ours, where most of the divers I knew were being quoted £3k plus for tiny Clios and the like :frown:
Also, I'm not sure how common they are over here? I can't imagine finding too many RHD muscle cars, and personally I'd find a LHD a massive pain in the balls (less safe for over taking or passing cars).

I was set on getting an interesting car for my first one, like a VW Caddy pick-up, or a Volvo 360, but unfortunately finding one in decent nick, in my budget, that I could insure was too much of a hassle, especially as I use my car every day :/
My budget is 3k on the for the car 5k altogether for anything else road tax etc

See my post on the import price. Will give you an idea. You are essentially looking at a $1,000 car if you want insurance and that to be included in your £5,000 budget.
Reply 22
They're a bit too wide and steering is too poor to work in the UK really. (unless you're in London maybe? (i've never driven in London I'm just assuming it has a fair amount of straight roads))

Also you'll probably get like 60 miles out of £20 city driving.
Original post by jeddows
Our quater back is American, and owns a Mustang back home. Difference is his insurance is almost nothing when compared to ours, where most of the divers I knew were being quoted £3k plus for tiny Clios and the like :frown:
Also, I'm not sure how common they are over here? I can't imagine finding too many RHD muscle cars, and personally I'd find a LHD a massive pain in the balls (less safe for over taking or passing cars).

I was set on getting an interesting car for my first one, like a VW Caddy pick-up, or a Volvo 360, but unfortunately finding one in decent nick, in my budget, that I could insure was too much of a hassle, especially as I use my car every day :/

You understand what im going through man,the prices for everything out here is alot that includes tuition fees,so what was your first car?
Reply 24
You understand what im going through man,the prices for everything out here is alot that includes tuition fees,so what was your first car?

I ended up going for a Renault Clio Campus :L In all fairness, it's fairly practical,cheap to run and insure, and it'll go pretty quickly if you rag it (and don't have anyone else in it!). But it's undeniably boring, pretty much half my friends have Clios :frown:
Reply 25
Original post by Camoxide
They're a bit too wide and steering is too poor to work in the UK really. (unless you're in London maybe? (i've never driven in London I'm just assuming it has a fair amount of straight roads))

Also you'll probably get like 60 miles out of £20 city driving.

Nonsense
By that logic, a luton van is too wide for UK roads.
As for steering? whats wrong with a steeringbox? Like um, a Landrover Defender, perhaps? I highly doubt you've ever driven any muscle cars to come up with that opinion anyway.

As for fuel economy 20 notes gets you about 3 1/2 gallons so it'll be more like 35 miles for 20 quids worth of jungle juice.

Interesting that this thread has come up actually, as I'm giving serious consideration to flogging a couple of my cars and buying a yank tank. I fancy a 2 door '70 Dodge Coronet for a bit.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by NewFolder
You may think that you'd be better off getting a small car with a tiny underpowered engine is the way to go, but you may be surprised there.

I can't really recommend any particular car as insurance quotes can vary wildly for all sorts of reasons. Also, depending on where, when, and how often you will be driving, different cars will be better suited to you.

As an example, I got a quote on a 2.5l Volvo Estate with 142bhp. I was expecting the cost to be a few thousand, but it was actually £750 (2 years NCB at the time). At the same time, I got a quote on a 1.2l Renault Clio, with 75bhp. Despite having almost half of the horsepower, it was only about £8 cheaper than the Volvo to insure. Small cars are in high demand due to their low running costs atm, so they are very expensive compared with some larger cars of similar age and condition.

I'd definitely recommend that you look at larger cars as well as smaller ones, and get insurance quotes, it can be surprising what you can insure a larger car for, compared to a smaller one. Stuff like Mondeos, Vectras, Passats, etc.

Although what you eventually go for depends on your circumstances. For example, if you are going to be doing a lot of miles, you will want a car with good fuel economy, which may not necessarily be the cheapest to insure and tax. Petrol is very expensive, and when looking at insurance quotes, a lot of people forget that. Yes you may be able to insure an old estate car with a 2 litre engine for less than a newer small hatchback with a 1 litre engine in some cases, but if you're commuting 50 miles every day, the difference in fuel costs will cancel out the savings in insurance. But if you only use your car a few times a week, it may well be worth getting the larger car if it's cheaper.

I'd definitely recommend looking at a range of cars though. But what will be the best car depends on your circumstances.

So say i wanted until i was like 21- 22 with still no first car and i was thinking about buying a nissan 350z would that be a bad choice?
Reply 27
So say i wanted until i was like 21- 22 with still no first car and i was thinking about buying a nissan 350z would that be a bad choice?

You buy whatever want / can financially justify, dude. :wink:
Original post by JC.
Nonsense
As for steering? whats wrong with a steeringbox? Like um, a Landrover Defender, perhaps? I highly doubt you've ever driven any muscle cars to come up with that opinion anyway.

As for fuel economy 20 notes gets you about 3 1/2 gallons so it'll be more like 35 miles for 20 quids worth of jungle juice.

Interesting that this thread has come up actually, as I'm giving serious consideration to flogging a couple of my cars and buying a yank tank. I fancy a 2 door '70 Dodge Coronet for a bit.

Nice,left hand drive wouldn't really be a big deal over here would it?
Reply 29
Nice,left hand drive wouldn't really be a big deal over here would it?

Well it's different. Junctions can be a bit interesting.
I suppose if it bothers you, certain yanks were made in RHD format and or can be converted quite easily.
Case in example (not strictly a muscle car) would be a first gen Mustang - they went to australia in RHD format so you *could* buy one of those and convert with original parts and a small amount of fabrication.

Although, that said, isn't that part of the charm driving a yank from the "wrong" side of the car?
Reply 30
Original post by JC.
Nonsense

I dunno maybe I'm too used to these narrow bendy country/town roads now. A land rover is too big of a car round here.

35 miles for £20 is a ridiculous amount :eek:. I'm unhappy when I only get 100 miles out of £20.
Reply 31
Original post by Camoxide
I dunno maybe I'm too used to these narrow bendy country/town roads now. A land rover is too big of a car round here.

35 miles for £20 is a ridiculous amount :eek:. I'm unhappy when I only get 100 miles out of £20.

That's because you're tight.
Some of us don't give a **** how much petrol we use. Infact, it's about the lowest priority on my agenda.
Original post by JC.
That's because you're tight.
Some of us don't give a **** how much petrol we use. Infact, it's about the lowest priority on my agenda.

You have a great amount of knowledge with muscle cars,what would you suggest i start out with? should i look into british ones or try look for old model camaros,dodge etc..where should i start
Reply 33
You have a great amount of knowledge with muscle cars,what would you suggest i start out with? should i look into british ones or try look for old model camaros,dodge etc..where should i start

How much have you got to spend on the car / insurance and what sort of fuel economy do you expect?
Original post by JC.
How much have you got to spend on the car / insurance and what sort of fuel economy do you expect?

£3 - 5k if anything petrol is not really a problem with me the only small issue is insurance that's it
£3 - 5k if anything petrol is not really a problem with me the only small issue is insurance that's it

How many miles a year will you be doing in it?
Original post by JC.
Depends where you shop and whether you can get a classic car policy I suppose?

Use my cars details if you like....
'75 MG BGT V8
reg no LRT 802P
Manual / 3500cc

Check your wall or PM lol
Original post by DotDotCurve
How many miles a year will you be doing in it?

Not much I mean I only really planned on using it for the weekends really
Not much I mean I only really planned on using it for the weekends really

So you first car is just a weekend car? What about a daily driver? If you spend all your cash on a weekend, I assume you have other transport?
Original post by DotDotCurve
So you first car is just a weekend car? What about a daily driver? If you spend all your cash on a weekend, I assume you have other transport?

Well what I mean is il be using it know and then,not just the weekends Im going to be going uni soon so I was just going to abuse what's left of my oyster because all the main buses are just around the corner it's for short trips anyway

Quick Reply

Latest