The Student Room Group

What are you happy or miserable?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by py0alb
Happy. Very happy. I don't understand how people can be miserable being part of such an amazing species living on such an fantastic planet.

As opposed to what, a dog living on mars? :holmes:
Original post by Movember
sense, the title makes none.

Ability to spot missing commas in thread titles, you have none :biggrin:

Spoiler

Reply 42
I used to be such a happy person when I was younger, then I hit 18 and became miserable! Hoping that the future is better and my 20s will see me happy again.
Reply 43
Original post by miser
As opposed to what, a dog living on mars? :holmes:

Not as opposed to anything. I simply think that people who don't recognise how incredibly lucky they are to simply be alive are rather sad and misinformed. Its amazing to me how people are so blind to the world around them as to allow such tiny inconsequential details to obscure the big picture.
Reply 44
Original post by py0alb
I simply think that people who don't recognise how incredibly lucky they are to simply be alive are rather sad and misinformed.

Disagree with this - I'm of the unpopular opinion that we're not lucky to be alive (though personally I'm very happy with my life).

Original post by py0alb
Its amazing to me how people are so blind to the world around them as to allow such tiny inconsequential details to obscure the big picture.

Agree very much with this.
Reply 45
Original post by miser
Disagree with this - I'm of the unpopular opinion that we're not lucky to be alive (though personally I'm very happy with my life).

Agree very much with this.

We already discussed this in another thread. I can't see how you can reconcile the fact that the majority of people actively choose to remain alive over being dead - and fully enjoy the experience, with the claim that they are not "lucky" to be in that situation.

You must have a very different definition of lucky to me.
Mostly miserable :frown:
hmmm depends I feel that my natural look is just miserable. Like I'll just be sitting there concentrating trying to do some work or figure out some equation and my mum will be like 'why are you so sad' :frown:

Then I'll grin and be like I'm not sad :biggrin:

When I'm trying to do work though and people are making loads of noise or asking me to do stuff then I just get like arggghhh leave me alone:angry:! but then when I've finished my work and like 'okay soo what can I do for you :smile:'

haa :L
(edited 11 years ago)
Depends on the situation and the mood swings i guess...Most of the time i consider myself happy but sometimes...Its just the question of asking what is the meaning of life with me... Sorry don't want this to get to deep...
Reply 49
Original post by py0alb
We already discussed this in another thread. I can't see how you can reconcile the fact that the majority of people actively choose to remain alive over being dead - and fully enjoy the experience, with the claim that they are not "lucky" to be in that situation.

You must have a very different definition of lucky to me.

Luck only applies to people who are alive; no comparison can be made between the respective 'luckiness' of a person who exists versus a person who does not. It is like asking whether 5 is greater than (null) - the answer is it's not greater.

A person can enjoy being alive, sure, but there are no legitimate means to argue that life is better than non-existence because no comparison can be made between the two; there is no measure that applies to both those who are alive and those who are not.

The fact that people who are alive choose to remain alive is neither here nor there. What reason do they have to change it? Yet, once alive, a person has reasons not to change it (they have goals, ambitions, loved ones, genetic predisposition, killing oneself requires effort and usually pain, etc.). A person who does not exist has none of these and no reason to want them. (I would also point out that it's not true people want to live forever, either.)

What matters to people who are alive only matter to them because they're alive. Men tend to like being men and women tend to like being women - if given the option, virtually no one would choose to change genders. They have no reason to. But they only like being their gender because that's the way it's always been - they're invested in it. It only matters to them because that's what they already are.
Happy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending