The Student Room Group

Indications of intelligence.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Booyah
I have earnt a grade 4 trumpet award at distinction level. I have a BTEC award in Aviation Studies and soon to have a BTEC certificate in Aviation Studies.

Headline: 'High-flyer blows trumpet'
Original post by Kimina
I always viewed exceptional as maybe the top 1%, maybe that's just me. Also I didn't say his grades weren't very good.

no, exceptional is top 0.0001%

thats the legal definition
Original post by Dukeofwembley

There's only one word for this kind of bull****ting.

And, yes, that word is exceptional.
Reply 23

Legal definition, really? Have you got a source, I've never heard that before.
It was always my opinion that it's simply defined as being well above average or out of the ordinary.
Original post by HenryD
Legal definition, really? Have you got a source, I've never heard that before.
It was always my opinion that it's simply defined as being well above average or out of the ordinary.

while your looking up the definition of exceptional , do me a favour and look up the definition of sarcasm
do me a favour and look up the definition of sarcasm

Nice one!
Reply 26
Original post by Booyah
I took GCSE's. I will soon have 3 A-level qualifications and 1 AS qualification. I have earnt a grade 4 trumpet award at distinction level. I have a BTEC award in Aviation Studies and soon to have a BTEC certificate in Aviation Studies.

So what do these show? Do these show intelligence or do they show that I can simply work hard and dedicated to the subject? Or are these qualifications just a means to an end?

My main question is where do qualifications show intelligence and situational awareness, I don't think that qualifications show any intelligence whatsoever, until you get to degree level. I have earnt an A* and 7A's at GCSE, however I don't claim to be intelligent because of it, neither do I claim to be intelligent about receiving AABB at AS. In today's student population in my school I would be referred to as smart/intelligent however I would disagree as I have never been taught how to act in situations and nothing can prepare you for any situation.

I would like to know how you would test intelligence :smile: instead of recalling knowledge as I do during any exam I have sat.

What's your definition of intelligence? Would you for example say being good as music means you are intelligent, or "just" that you have a talent?
Original post by danny111
What's your definition of intelligence? Would you for example say being good as music means you are intelligent, or "just" that you have a talent?

I personally would say being good at music means you have a talent but in doing so obviously you would require a degree of intelligence. However thats all very subjective.
Reply 28
while your looking up the definition of exceptional , do me a favour and look up the definition of sarcasm

Oh because it's so easy to know when someone's being sarcastic on the internet.
Reply 29
Original post by free_the_mind
I personally would say being good at music means you have a talent but in doing so obviously you would require a degree of intelligence. However thats all very subjective.

So Mozart wasn't intelligence, but just talented?
So Mozart wasn't intelligence, but just talented?

Please read what I wrote again, and then message back if you feel the need to do do as that is not what I said.
Reply 31
Original post by free_the_mind
Please read what I wrote again, and then message back if you feel the need to do do as that is not what I said.

You said a "degree of intelligence". I'm not sure what that means. To me, Mozart was one of the most intelligent people to ever have lived. Having a "degree of intelligence" is a far cry from that.
You said a "degree of intelligence". I'm not sure what that means. To me, Mozart was one of the most intelligent people to ever have lived. Having a "degree of intelligence" is a far cry from that.

You mentioned just music in general and now we're talking about musical individuals all of a sudden okayyy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending