The Student Room Group

Confused with conditional offer

I got a conditional offer for a degree I didn't apply to, and I'm confused about what's going on... does this happen usually, or is it a mistake?
Properly the university course you applied to is 'full' but the university still want you and have offered a similar course to you.

Could ring up the university and ask them to change it if they can?

I had it done to me but alas, it was not to be.
Or they like your application but feel your grade predictions are better suited to the other course.

Offering an alternative course isnt that unusual - many Unis do this. If you want clarification on 'why' then phone/email the Uni and ask.
Reply 3
Original post by macintosh1
I got a conditional offer for a degree I didn't apply to, and I'm confused about what's going on... does this happen usually, or is it a mistake?

They have rejected your application for the course you applied for ... that boat has sailed

HOWEVER they like you and want you to study something similar with them

If you like the university and this other course interests you then look seriously at it
Original post by macintosh1

What did you apply to and what did you get an offer for? what are the entry requirements for each and what are your predicted grades?

Sometimes if they like you but there isn't room on the course you applied to, they'll offer the people at the lower end of the requirements/ that are better suited to a different course, a place on a similar course.

For example my friend applied to a course which asked for 240-300 points. She was predicted 240. They offered her a place on a very similar course who's requirements were 220-260 I think. this was applying for 2011 start, so there was a mad rush of people applying to avoid the 2012 fee rise, thus even though she met the minimum requirements, there were lots of people applying who were predicted grades at the higher end of the range.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply