Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Dukeofwembley
cant you understand

smarter people make more money
send the kids off to private school
kids have smart genes, cycle repeats itself

(in general) obviously

It's a free society and you can think what you like, but if you think this you're an idiot
Reply 21
Original post by Juichiro
Abraham Lincoln is right. Dumbing down the education or bumping up poor students won't help in the long run.

It will help society in the long run. Read the link at the bottom of the OP, it states clear proof for poorer students doing just as well- although further investigations/studies would have to be cited before this is concrete (possibly conducted by organisations who would be against such a system).

Original post by TenOfThem
I agree

I see students on here who have been taught sooooooo very badly but have tremendous potential

In maths we are lucky that good students can self teach (if they can avoid the pitfalls of taught misconceptions)

But that is not the case in many other subjects

So bright people suffer because they are taught badly and/or because their environment does not enable academic progress

But what is the real alternative ... any selection process can be coached for and the same individuals will be advantaged/disadvantaged

The last statement really hits hard, and is a shame that humans just seem to think like that.

A proposed system such as this will favour bright pupils who do not get taught well, yes still account for the super intelligent people among us who do get taught well.

The main question we need to ask is, do we want a society where the rich's kids get to run on the inside lane of the race track?
Reply 22
cant you understand

smarter people make more money
send the kids off to private school
kids have smart genes, cycle repeats itself

(in general) obviously

So our lives are just a glorified form of eugenics.

Wow.
Reply 23
I kind of agree with what you're saying with the ratios of state/private school pupils going to universities like oxbridge. However, wouldn't that defeat the purpose of going to a private school? At most private schools, the education is far better than most state schools and remember that you're paying to go to a private school. If people in state schools had a "better" chance, wouldn't it be unfair on the private school students?

Now, before someone negs me or quotes me calling me an ******** I would just like to say a few things:

1) I never went to a private school and I've been in state school education my whole life.
2) The education system isn't far at the moment and it'll probably never be fair as richer children are at an advantage to poorer children in education.
3) I'm all for equal rights in education no matter what your background is.

tl;dr: What you've come up with is a good idea but what I'm trying to say is that it won't be fair on private school students (even though it currently isn't fair on state school students). You can't win whatever way you go about this. :frown:
Original post by the.austrian

A proposed system such as this will favour bright pupils who do not get taught well, yes still account for the super intelligent people among us who do get taught well.

In your system

If I had money

I would send my kids to the bog standard comp to get the grade boost and pay for private tuition ... win win win

Having a system where money buys education is not good but I see no system where money would not buy privilege

:frown:
I disagree. I come from a very rough backgtound and I did well (sig), and tbh, I wouldn't have the current system anyway else. A rich kid will always have an advantage; utopia is a madmans dream.

If you're a poor kid you'll just have to nurture yourself through discipline and talk, you WILL have a tougher time.
So our lives are just a glorified form of eugenics.

Wow.

are you that ignorant,iq is 80% inherited

and iq exists because usa has the act, uk has the ukcat and graduate schemes require psychometric tests
Reply 27
I have to say this is a great story (I was hoping this sort of proof of background doesn't matter would turn up!).

You are right Uni's do not discriminate on background directly, but they do discriminate on grades. So if poorer grades were an intrinsic result of a poorer background then they would indirectly (and fair enough: unknowingly) discriminate again poorer background.

Many (like yourself) dig in hard and it shows in your work and achievements. But your achievement may be more valid then someone who's had thousands of pounds to achieve the same grades as you. You may be both as intelligent but the standard person on the street would admire your achievement slightly more (I know I would).

But it is important to give personal evidence, as it backs up what I have to claim :smile:

Not really. University of Birmingham, is one of the handful universities which have an "Access" scheme. So if none of your parents went to university, or your household income is below £20k, and your area is one that has low participation in university; you will receive 40 UCAS points off your grade. So for example, instead of having to achieve AAB, I only have to achieve ABC. This has helped countless people I know, and has fostered the importance of higher education in many migrant families.

Your last point is valid, however, like I said it's all in the mindset. I don't want to feel or think that I deserve to achieve more than someone who comes from a wealthier background; I am happy to simply to strive and achieve my very best, regardless of others. Yes, some may be impressed; but that's irrelevant.

I always, I know this is cliche, but look at those stricken in poverty in the world. They would die to have the countless opportunities of what we have in our nation. Put it frankly, we have it much better, than the 80% who live in poor nations.
In your system

If I had money

I would send my kids to the bog standard comp to get the grade boost and pay for private tuition ... win win win

Having a system where money buys education is not good but I see no system where money would not buy privilege

or move to kent and send them to a grammar school
or move to kent and send them to a grammar school

That would not work in the system outlined in the OP

And there are Grammar schools elsewhere in the country
Reply 30
In your system

If I had money

Well the only true system would be to simply ditch the whole idea of money but that is another argument entirely.

I do think there are better systems we could employ (as a pose to the current one) and we should actively develop rather than accept them. Although my proposed one is flawed, you could implement strict control on high income families trying to adapt to a new system.

Original post by `Jts
I kind of agree with what you're saying with the ratios of state/private school pupils going to universities like oxbridge. However, wouldn't that defeat the purpose of going to a private school? At most private schools, the education is far better than most state schools and remember that you're paying to go to a private school. If people in state schools had a "better" chance, wouldn't it be unfair on the private school students?

Now, before someone negs me or quotes me calling me an ******** I would just like to say a few things:

1) I never went to a private school and I've been in state school education my whole life.
2) The education system isn't far at the moment and it'll probably never be fair as richer children are at an advantage to poorer children in education.
3) I'm all for equal rights in education no matter what your background is.

tl;dr: What you've come up with is a good idea but what I'm trying to say is that it won't be fair on private school students (even though it currently isn't fair on state school students). You can't win whatever way you go about this. :frown:

Agree with this, but to display a Robin Hood type attitude, if you're gonna discriminate against the poorer or the richer (note I'm trying to use comparatives because poor and rich are not definitive things) you could pick on those who are richer as they more home comforts to cope with discrimination.

I think our system can be tweaked, but when the Prime Minister is privately educated (at Eton) and most MP's are Oxbridge graduates, it's very difficult to get them to change policies which have worked for them since a young age and aided them to their position now.

are you that ignorant,iq is 80% inherited

and iq exists because usa has the act, uk has the ukcat and graduate schemes require psychometric tests

I'm not ignorant: your original statement is practically advocating eugenics. Having this attitude results in a spiral of ideas leading to things like genocide. It's not acceptable to say someone's potential to be succesful is based upon their genes. Every human should have the right to work from the simplest job to the most complicated job.

Original post by abzy1234
But it is important to give personal evidence, as it backs up what I have to claim :smile:

Not really. University of Birmingham, is one of the handful universities which have an "Access" scheme. So if none of your parents went to university, or your household income is below £20k, and your area is one that has low participation in university; you will receive 40 UCAS points off your grade. So for example, instead of having to achieve AAB, I only have to achieve ABC. This has helped countless people I know, and has fostered the importance of higher education in many migrant families.

Your last point is valid, however, like I said it's all in the mindset. I don't want to feel or think that I deserve to achieve more than someone who comes from a wealthier background; I am happy to simply to strive and achieve my very best, regardless of others. Yes, some may be impressed; but that's irrelevant.

I always, I know this is cliche, but look at those stricken in poverty in the world. They would die to have the countless opportunities of what we have in our nation. Put it frankly, we have it much better, than the 80% who live in poor nations.

Last point of this I agree with, it's important to realise we are gifted with what we have. Even something as simple as the computer I type on to write this I must be grateful for.

I have to admit I'm the type that like 'change' and feels we shouldn't settle for capitalism the way it is, and the education system (especially college to HE) the way it is. I think the opinion here is split between those in the middle, those who have come to terms with the way things are, and those (like me) who wouldn't mind a fresh approach.

EDIT: Just wanted to say that the system at Birmingham sounds great, I get a good feeling when I hear you say it's helped countless people. Imagine the jobs and lives it might create.
(edited 11 years ago)
The difference is Olympians and Paralympians don't compete together. They're in separate competitions altogether. If that were the same, the less advanced would be at less demanding schools and therefore would be less likely to achieve when it came to being employed after graduation. An employer would look and two CV's and see one person coming from a top school and another from an average and less advanced school. Which would you pick?

If you needed someone to run as fast as they can from A to B, would you pick a man with two legs or a man with one?

Unfair, I know. But the harder you work, the more likely you get the higher grades. If they let people in less qualified than another person, is it fair on the person who's got the higher grades? They may work just as hard but when you have to pick between two people, you'd pick the one with the highest potential.
Reply 32
Original post by EliseTheBees
The difference is Olympians and Paralympians don't compete together. They're in separate competitions altogether. If that were the same, the less advanced would be at less demanding schools and therefore would be less likely to achieve when it came to being employed after graduation. An employer would look and two CV's and see one person coming from a top school and another from an average and less advanced school. Which would you pick?

If you needed someone to run as fast as they can from A to B, would you pick a man with two legs or a man with one?

Unfair, I know. But the harder you work, the more likely you get the higher grades. If they let people in less qualified than another person, is it fair on the person who's got the higher grades? They may work just as hard but when you have to pick between two people, you'd pick the one with the highest potential.

My argument would be that it's like picking between the paralympian and the olympian for an arm wrestle. School is vastly different to university.

I would claim that the person who went to a less privileged school or simply had a more unfortunate life (i.e. a private school kid who was ill/lost a familiy member) would be better adapted to cope with the new ball game that is University.

You put someone who's had money and comfort their whole life, and someone whose had to work and graft for things in to the deep end together, who will swim?

And your point on running different races? We had a grammar school system (which is employed throughout Europe successfully) years ago with an 11+ system. This actually creates a fair well rounded work force.
My argument would be that it's like picking between the paralympian and the olympian for an arm wrestle. School is vastly different to university.

I would claim that the person who went to a less privileged school or simply had a more unfortunate life (i.e. a private school kid who was ill/lost a familiy member) would be better adapted to cope with the new ball game that is University.

You put someone who's had money and comfort their whole life, and someone whose had to work and graft for things in to the deep end together, who will swim?

And your point on running different races? We had a grammar school system (which is employed throughout Europe successfully) years ago with an 11+ system. This actually creates a fair well rounded work force.

Firstly, I meant school as a whole, a place of education, including university.

Secondly, if you argue about different people who led different lives, like one with a comfortable life and one who was ill or suffered a bereavement, that's what a personal statement is for. Universities already take that sort of thing into account.

And the 11+ system decides whether a student go to a certain school. Determining whether a child would be bored and find classes easy or would struggle depending on the school. If you put those two schools with students from year 7 together in an exam, all on teams supporting their school, who would you expect to win? The students in the school who beat everyone else in the exams during the 11+.
Reply 34
Original post by EliseTheBees
Firstly, I meant school as a whole, a place of education, including university.

Secondly, if you argue about different people who led different lives, like one with a comfortable life and one who was ill or suffered a bereavement, that's what a personal statement is for. Universities already take that sort of thing into account.

And the 11+ system decides whether a student go to a certain school. Determining whether a child would be bored and find classes easy or would struggle depending on the school. If you put those two schools with students from year 7 together in an exam, all on teams supporting their school, who would you expect to win? The students in the school who beat everyone else in the exams during the 11+.

So what's to with having a system that abolishes discrimination on money by abolishing privates schools and introducing a system which discriminates on intelligence.

I realise your point. But the majority of people here disagree because they are used to a system. It's in some human's nature to reject change.

What I want is to change mentality to those who have a tougher time for reasons beyond their control. (Uni's take this into account- but not enough)

The human race needs to develop. Although my ideas are left wing, everyone should have an equal and fair opportunity and those who wish to discriminate against that are only doing so for self-benefit. This kind of self-benefit mentality fuels the worst aspects of human society.
I think the universities do take these things into account already. I am inclined to believe that most admissions tutors can identify potential to succeed on a course from a genuinely enthusiastic and convincing personal statement, despite the person 's background. It is for this reason that you hear stories of people getting into places like Oxbridge at times with 'below the par' grades - admissions tutors are astute enough to realise that grades are not always the best indicator of a person 's potential.
Moreover, I believe universities when faced with two candidates with similar grades - one from an under-performing state school and the other from a private school, I think they would be far more interested in the state school student.
Also, don't forget that many already have access schemes - Warwick, York,Bristol, Birmingham and Cambridge ( I think)! My cousin recently received his offer from Bristol - the offer was ABB when typically it is AAB and he only had 3 GCSEs- because he he was deemed to be 'disadvantaged'.
So, there are already many provisions in place to help the disadvantaged. Reforming the system completely, and drastically lowering the grades for disadvantaged pupils sort of defeats the purpose of university. If there are any reforms to be made, I think it is within the education system.
(edited 11 years ago)
So what's to with having a system that abolishes discrimination on money by abolishing privates schools and introducing a system which discriminates on intelligence.

I realise your point. But the majority of people here disagree because they are used to a system. It's in some human's nature to reject change.

What I want is to change mentality to those who have a tougher time for reasons beyond their control. (Uni's take this into account- but not enough)

The human race needs to develop. Although my ideas are left wing, everyone should have an equal and fair opportunity and those who wish to discriminate against that are only doing so for self-benefit. This kind of self-benefit mentality fuels the worst aspects of human society.

I disagree with it completely. If someone wants to do something I believe they should do everything they can in order to do it. It's unfair. But there are things people have to look at in the long run.

The world revolves around money. That's why people go to university, to get jobs and to get paid well. But if someone isn't that clever at a certain subject, they won't do very well. They will have wasted thousands and about three years of their life trying to get somewhere they just can't get and fail. If they don't do well at a job, people get fired. It's just how the world works. Some people just aren't as bright no matter how hard they work. If someone wants to be a doctor, would you want someone who wasn't as bright and didn't pass their degree to treat you? If you were on trial and needed a good lawyer to fight your way out of a charge you were falsely accused of, would you want someone who only got the job because he was given an advantage because he came from a certain school and couldn't do as well as others. I certainly wouldn't. But if a system was made to give people an advantage when getting into university, why wouldn't it be the same when it comes to getting a job? Universities are meant to prepare you. And then you give an important job to a less qualified person who then brings down the people who employ them? It just can't possibly work like that.

Universities can't be kind enough to give someone a place in a course to give an advantage to someone if they don't have potential. If they feel they do have potential, whether coming from a private or public school, they will give you a place. It's all on the individual person and hopefully, the university a person applies to will correctly judge whether a student achieve their potential at their university.

Courses are also competitive and only have a number of places. If they give a place to a less qualified person as opposed to a person who have all entry requirements, isn't that also unfair?

I don't care much about change, if something changes so be it. If it doesn't work out, complain, sort it out, change it back; whatever. But there's nothing that can make everyone happy.
2 weeks ago I had a thought.

If an able bodied Olympic runner broke the world record for a marathon they would have achieved something great and many would pause to appreciate this achievement.

If a Paralympian ran a marathon and came within 15 minutes of that new world record, the world would be held in awe.

The greatest achievement would of course be the latter, because the Paralympian had to deal with harder conditions.

If a panel was tasked at picking a person based on their achievement, determination and sheer motivation than the Paralympian would rightfully be chosen.

Now picture a University system whereby those who are more privileged receive a better shot at higher education than those who are less privileged who work just as hard because of the conditions the pupil has to work in. (i.e. less access to HE admissions tutors/practice interviews/speaking with academics/poorer tuition/lower income/bereavement/being in care/disability).

When it comes to universities (especially Oxbridge) the argument is that the fastest marathon times (i.e. the highest grades/aptitude) win. I realise the interview/system is made to pick out raw/natural talent but I doubt an admission tutor can consistently differentiate the well trained public school kid, from the nervous but possibly 'genius' state school kid.

My preposition would be to have a "leveller" a system whereby grades are bumped up for kids in less privileged positions to fairly compare the achievement shown in their studies. An equation would have to be developed accounting factors mentioned above to produce an artificial points system (based on UMS/GCSE/SAT scores and school information), this would then be reviewed for each person based on individual circumstances against descriptors to ensure a fair artificial point score. (unfair points assigned can be appealed of course).

I realise:
a) This may discriminate against public schools but only an elite 7% can afford these, whereas Oxbridge (for example) is represented by a 60/40 state/private school demographic (surely it should be represented by a 93/7 demographic). This is not discrimination, this is removing discrimination

b)It would be difficult to put into place such a difficult system but this investment represents a free, fair nation.

c) Pupils may struggle to cope above their usual level of work (if there grades were generously bumped up)...however:

i) Research has shown that pupils from less privileged backgrounds do just as well at university when such a system is applied (if not better as they can cope with adverse/new conditions).

ii) An 'adaptability' test could be incurred where pupils' ability to adjust is tested to ensure pupils who would struggle are sent to a better suited university- this would only be used on pupils whose artificial points score are significantly higher than their actual grades.

Click here for a source which provides a balanced viewpoint.

Discuss. :smile:

EDIT: Streaming sets in Uni's would allow for those most academically able to still be pushed.

EDIT (II): I'm very happy with the Universities I have offers from, my opinions are based on observations which I've tried to keep as neutral as possible.

Nope, really unfair. There are plenty of state school students who do really well in their A-Levels (myself included) and this would be a really patronising system. The point of a degree is to show how well that particular person is at their subject, and if they have just been given inflated grades just because they've been judged to be worse off - no doubt through some flawed means testing - they are not going to be confident in the work environment if they've been given a 2:1 when really their work amounted to a third.

The divide between private and state schools is heavily over emphasised, I know a few private school people who did very averagely in their exams and are going to mid league universities. If a student is bright and polite and works hard, they will get the grades they deserve no matter where they go to school.
(edited 11 years ago)
what the **** is wrong with your obsession with top tiered universities such as oxbridge

your shallow appreciation of university attendance is insignificant in regards to how successful any graduate could become
Another point: in the end, students in schools take the same exams marked by the same board. If a person doesn't do well, they don't do well. It's not like they can't resit an exam when going to college or take a course at a level that meets their entry requirements.

Latest

Trending

Trending