The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
mysterious lady
Im having a little trouble getting around science. Im doing triple science, but only predicted to get AAB. Any advice on how I could make my revsion a little bit more easier to digest or understand.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Hmm I did triple science in France, so the stuff I say may not apply to your courses.
In maths and in physics-chemistry, I used to try to remember methods to solve specific problems, for example learning a method to differentiate a function or to calculate a force. That way, you have lots of tools that you can use to work on problems. It's important to be flexible and to avoid blindly applying a method to a problem, since they all have their specificities. I think this strategy works better than practicing solving problems over and over again since this means that at the slightest weird thing/difficulty, you won't know how to continue, whereas your toolbox (dumb expression haha) enables you to adapt to the problem and work around the initial diffculty. Try to memorise the methods (and the specifities).
Biology in France is very ****ty you just have to learn volumes of stuff by heart and regurgitate it all on the day of the exam in order to get a good mark. So I can't offer any advice for that subject.
I know that this all sounds very vague, sorry! Hope it still helps.
hey thanks, ive been finding out the topics I NEED to re learn in chemistry and its almost 50%of the syllabus. IM well worried. Hope Ive got enough time to revise for my other 13 gcses as well.

so you did yours in France, does that mean you speak french coz ive been learning it for 5 years and cant seem to get my head around it.
Reply 3
mysterious lady
hey thanks, ive been finding out the topics I NEED to re learn in chemistry and its almost 50%of the syllabus. IM well worried. Hope Ive got enough time to revise for my other 13 gcses as well.

so you did yours in France, does that mean you speak french coz ive been learning it for 5 years and cant seem to get my head around it.

yeah i speak french. in any case ,good luck!what are your chemistry topics?
lol, the chemistry topics are the rock cyle, fractional distillation, Polymerisation, Extraction of aluminium and Iron and also the Harber process.
Reply 5
mysterious lady
lol, the chemistry topics are the rock cyle, fractional distillation, Polymerisation, Extraction of aluminium and Iron and also the Harber process.

hmm can't help you on those, we did different stuff in france. sorry!
merci de toute façon aucuns s'inquiète.
Reply 7
pas de problème. bonne chance...
Reply 8
mon dieu il ya des enfants sur cette internet forume qui parle en francais!
Have you got a revision guide? I personally used BBC Bitesize, but I did double science, so I don't know if they do one for triple. I've heard CGP is good as well though. A revision guide might just explain things in a more straightforward way, so although you should continue to use your class notes as well, it might help you to understand things a bit better. You should do lots of practice/past papers as well and you might want to look at the specification just to make sure you've covered everything.

Moi aussi, je parle francais et je l'adore! :biggrin:
Reply 10
OMG. OMG. This thread was started when Charlotte (OP) was in Year 11, and she's now in Year 12.. How time flies :eek:
Reply 11
Bexiness!
OMG. OMG. This thread was started when Charlotte (OP) was in Year 11, and she's now in Year 12.. How time flies :eek:

I was thinking exactly the same! It's almost been a year.. :afraid:
Reply 12
Basically for anything sciencey/mathsy - just do as many questions as you can get your hands on. Revision notes are good and you should by all means make decent revision notes, emphasising important things like formulae, equations, processes etc. (I often found flowcharts were great for processes and formulae triangles can also be very useful but they only work for certain formulas), but there's nothing like exam practice for subjects like these.
Reply 13
As -arctic-monkey- said, revision questions are great for science.

Also, try and breakdown big topics in biology, learn key words and concepts. Get the overall idea, and then slot in the details.

For chemistry and physics, try and understand the processes rather than just learning it by rote. This makes learning the details easier.

Good luck!!
Reply 14
dont you use the CGP

its the best and easiest way to revise years 7-9

(i think)
Reply 15
I still use CGP now and then. I've got their A2 Physics guide :p:
Bexiness!

So true! :eek:
Reply 17
How did you do in your GCSE sciences then?
vector
How did you do in your GCSE sciences then?

She got Bs, according to her sig :p:
Reply 19
Ah, I've got sigs on autohide :wink: Cheers :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending