The Student Room Group

Should I take GCSE or IGCSE maths?

I have a C in maths GCSE from edexcel but I need a B to sit A level. I am planning to take the GCSE or IGCSE at Acorn Independent college because they give an option between exam boards. I was looking at the IGCSE and was surprised by the difficulty. Since when was there calculus in GCSE? Well I have 4 months to review algebra, most of which I already know, except Logarithms functions and rational expressions. My last teacher only skimmed the A-A* topics for like 5 mins sometimes in class because he was just focusing on getting everyone a C.

I wanted to study the IGCSE because it looks more interesting and is less of a jump to A level, but the questions seem more difficult. It appears that you need to have a more thorough understanding to earn your marks than you do in the regular GCSE, and the CIE version looks harder than the Edexcel one. You have to think about the question rather than solving a problem on autopilot.

I will have to learn vectors, functions, some trigonometry I missed and Calculus by the next exam date. Apart from that I just need to review and practice questions. The IGCSE looks like better preparation for A level but I need a B-A* and have to self teach because i'm an external candidate. So basically do you think I can cover those topics and review everything else in about four months or should I just do the regular GCSE. I will have 2 hours a day to spend on the subject. Do you think I take take GCSE or IGCSE and with which exam board?
With two hours a day it's perfectly possible for you to cover igcse maths in a month or so...

The iGCSE is a lot harder as it covers many more higher level topics, but as a result the jump between it and a level is almost non existent, in fact you'll have covered most of C1 from it anyway :smile:
Original post by L'Evil Fish
With two hours a day it's perfectly possible for you to cover igcse maths in a month or so...

The iGCSE is a lot harder as it covers many more higher level topics, but as a result the jump between it and a level is almost non existent, in fact you'll have covered most of C1 from it anyway :smile:

In that case, isn't the OP best doing GCSE as it's easier and then looking at some bridging material and perhaps some C1 videos online?
Original post by reubenkinara
In that case, isn't the OP best doing GCSE as it's easier and then looking at some bridging material and perhaps some C1 videos online?

Hmmm... I think having the iGCSE is much more beneficial, but if the OP doesn't want "lots more" pressure then do the GCSE.,
I would recommend you to sit the IGCSE exam instead - it will definitely prepare you better for the next level (in your case, the A levels.) Though it may be more difficult, you will have to study all that in A Levels too, so might as well prepare yourself beforehand, right? :smile:
Careful review and thorough practice won't hurt you, so I would personally go for IGCSE.
I sat the IGCSE Maths exam too back in 2011, and it isn't as bad as you think it is- it gets better with practice :smile:
Reply 5
I second what jennzers said.its prepares you better for a levels as you do vectors differentiation etc..
You can do it, have some faith in yourself.
Goodluck
defo GCSE
i do igcse, and personally i would go with gcse if you need to get a B as it is more likely however if you think you are capable getting a B i would go for igcse, although just warning you edexcel is not that much harder than normal gcse but i think cie is
Reply 8
Original post by L'Evil Fish

Is there much difference between edexcel and cie? Which has the better syllabus?
Original post by a-----dog
Is there much difference between edexcel and cie? Which has the better syllabus?

CIE is harder I'd say, so that's the better one:tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending