The Student Room Group

Human activities that affect the enviroment

I need help with my science work. Well as the title says human activities that affect the enviroment: Land, Air and Water/Sea.
and its for Farming and Transport.
I did one of them and i worte for farming and air that when the spray chemicals the chemicals go into the air, this then gets carried by the wind and this can affect a different area further away. Please can soemone help me with the rest.
Thanks beforehand:biggrin:
Reply 1
Original post by Armani786
I need help with my science work. Well as the title says human activities that affect the enviroment: Land, Air and Water/Sea.
and its for Farming and Transport.
I did one of them and i worte for farming and air that when the spray chemicals the chemicals go into the air, this then gets carried by the wind and this can affect a different area further away. Please can soemone help me with the rest.
Thanks beforehand:biggrin:

The only thing I can think of is deforestation for farming. People cutting down trees can not only affect the carbon and nitrogen cycle but can also reduce the number of crop yield, land etc for farmers. To follow on to this, urbanisation also takes place whereby humans have started to take green land and build houses and other infrastructure on it.
Reply 2
Consider;

crop spraying - effect of chemicals on both land and water based flora and fauna

ecosystem changes - crops present a very large source of food for specific herbivores and the carnivores that feed on them, giving those species a competitive advantage against others in the area. Additionally, when crops are rotated the food source changes dramatically, causing potential instability in the food web.

water use and drainage - the areas that water drains to from the fields will receive a greatly increased amount of water, changing the local environment

pastoral farming - conversion of large areas of land to pasture (also polluting effects of livestock, and changes to local food web by adding another species into the mix, potentially changing habits of other animals)

Hedgerows - these contain a dramatically wide ecosystem in a very small area, including runs that can criss-cross very large areas of countryside. The initial removal, then reinstatement of hedgerows across Europe under the CAP had huge effects on the biodiversity (though fortunately not irreversible)

farming equipment and infrastructure, processing of food and transport to selling locations.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending