The Student Room Group

Beyonce, feminism and sexualisation

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IlexBlue
Oh, please. After the first time I heard Cater 2 U I refused to take anything this overrated prat says about "feminism" and "power to the women" seriously. "Men define sexiness" she says... as she poses half-naked on the cover.

I always figured she was conceited, and this article does little to prove me wrong.

Its a shame that Beyonce is now equatable with that trashy Rihanna.It was ill advised to ramp up her sexuality to this degree on the GQ cover and still complain that "men define sexuality." ?!!!
Reply 21
Original post by xev bellringer
Its a shame that Beyonce is now equatable with that trashy Rihanna.It was ill advised to ramp up her sexuality to this degree on the GQ cover and still complain that "men define sexuality." ?!!!

I don't mean to single you out, but what do you think of any woman (or man) using her (his) sexuality/sex appeal to 'succeed'/get money? If someone is good at writing books which sell well, they'll be judged as a good author, if they're good at kicking a ball to earn money, they'll be judged as a good footballer, but if someone is good at using their body to get money...?
Men define sexuality?

WTF? Ofcourse we ****ing do for women. And thank god we do, because if we didn't women would think being size zero is a good idea.
This is why its so weird. Some feminists say that women posing for half naked pics is liberating/empowering while others say its degrading.
Reply 24
Original post by MancBoy
ARTICLE - http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/jan/15/beyonce-photographed-underwear-feminism

I agree with this and it's not only Beyonce that does this. I am all for equality but when women use their sexuality for their gain and then bang on about 'feminism'...surely there is something wrong about that?

I just want to know what the people of TSR think about this.

I guess I don't understand the phrased sexualised when applied to people being willingly sexual, eg. terry richardson models. Doesn't sexualised mean you are the victim? Calvin Klein models aren't being sexualised their being sexual.

Also there's no contradiction between that and feminism, it is call sex positive feminism.
Reply 25
Original post by Slothsftws
I guess I don't understand the phrased sexualised when applied to people being willingly sexual, eg. terry richardson models. Doesn't sexualised mean you are the victim? Calvin Klein models aren't being sexualised their being sexual.

Also there's no contradiction between that and feminism, it is call sex positive feminism.
Once you be 'sexual', then that is how people will see you, or at least will be an aspect of how they see you, so you will then be 'sexualised' to some extent in the future. I don't see how anyone who sells their music by being 'sexual' can then complain about that marketing ploy being successful when they are 'sexualised' in future. If you push just one aspect of yourself as a person, that is what people will think of when they see you.
Reply 26
Original post by Hopple
Once you be 'sexual', then that is how people will see you, or at least will be an aspect of how they see you, so you will then be 'sexualised' to some extent in the future. I don't see how anyone who sells their music by being 'sexual' can then complain about that marketing ploy being successful when they are 'sexualised' in future. If you push just one aspect of yourself as a person, that is what people will think of when they see you.

So once I'm funny I can't be anything else? :rolleyes:
People aren't one dimensional, all adult humans ARE sexual, it's biology not choice.
Reply 27
Original post by Slothsftws
So once I'm funny I can't be anything else? :rolleyes:
People aren't one dimensional, all adult humans ARE sexual, it's biology not choice.

I'm sure Lee Evans has other aspects of his personality, but if you think of him you're going to think 'funny guy'. Similarly, what are you going to think of when thinking of someone where the previous experiences you have had of them are predominantly sexual imagery? Famous people like these aren't like normal relationships where you really get to know them, you only get to 'know' the aspect they choose to push.
Reply 28
Original post by Millie228
Success, ambition, drive, independence - skills required for jobs like that are all masculine. She cannot expect to be seen as a feminine woman and a potential romantic partner in a climate like that. But that's fine.
uh no!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending