The Student Room Group

Chondromalacia patellae

I think I have this.

Anyone else had this? Does it go away?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I have this. Mine hasn't so far but physio should help but it can't replace the damaged cartilage underneath the knee cap. Having said that if you can get the knee cap to track in the right place then there shouldn't be much pain :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by hjradley1
I have this. Mine hasn't so far but physio should help but it can't replace the damaged cartilage underneath the knee cap. Having said that if you can get the knee cap to track in the right place then there shouldn't be much pain :smile:

Thanks for that. What were your symptoms and how were they diagnosed?
Reply 3
Original post by beepbeeprichie
Thanks for that. What were your symptoms and how were they diagnosed?

Well I was diagnosed with osgood-schlatters disease when I was 9 which never went away when they told me it would by 16. Went back to docs at 18 still with pain in my kneecap area when walking up a gradient/stairs/walking for prolonged periods/any running/sitting down for a long time. Sometimes the pain doesn't occur until hours later or sometimes in the middle of the night I wake with agonising pain (though this is rare).

My GP examined my knees, pressed on areas around them, pulled them around a bit and noted I have very slack ligaments that won't hold my kneecaps in place and then diagnosed me with chondromalicia patella

Reply 4
Ive got this too! I dont think it really goes away
Not been diagnosed but I think I have this. Really need to go to docs about it, been hurting for two years but keeping putting it off because I don't think theres anything they can really do right?

Does anyone know if this can be made worse with an injury? I've had the pain in my knee when sitting too long, walking up/down stairs, squatting, kneeling and sometimes when I wake up for about 2 years now but in December I banged my knee and since then it feels more painful and not sure if I'm just imagining it or it's a coincidence or whether I've made the condition worse.
I was diagnosed with this when I was 13/14. I'm 22 next week and can't say it gives me much trouble anymore, don't think its been a problem since I was 18.

For most people, according to my Dr and Physio, it will improve if you engage fully with physio as it will strengthen muscles and improve alignment, and if you rest and take NSAID's if its painful. The problem for most people is that the muscles in the knee aren't strong enough so there is rubbing in your knee where contact shouldn't be made, and that's what causes the pain.

To the posters that haven't been to the GP, I would suggest you go as they can refer you to physio which makes the world of difference and it will really help improve things.
Original post by Sally <3 Howl
Not been diagnosed but I think I have this. Really need to go to docs about it, been hurting for two years but keeping putting it off because I don't think theres anything they can really do right?

Does anyone know if this can be made worse with an injury? I've had the pain in my knee when sitting too long, walking up/down stairs, squatting, kneeling and sometimes when I wake up for about 2 years now but in December I banged my knee and since then it feels more painful and not sure if I'm just imagining it or it's a coincidence or whether I've made the condition worse.

Yes injury can make this work.

I've been doing some amateur research in this area and it is quite confusing because of terminology. There is Chondromalacia patellae and Patella femoral joint syndrome and anterior knee pain. I'd highly recommend reading this : http://www.veterans-uk.info/publications/chondromalacia_patellae.pdf

The only proper way of telling one of these conditions from another is an MRI.
Yes injury can make this work.

I've been doing some amateur research in this area and it is quite confusing because of terminology. There is Chondromalacia patellae and Patella femoral joint syndrome and anterior knee pain. I'd highly recommend reading this : http://www.veterans-uk.info/publications/chondromalacia_patellae.pdf

The only proper way of telling one of these conditions from another is an MRI.

Thank you :smile: Think I'll go to the gp and see what they recommend. Hopefully something can fix it because it's become really bad at times.
Reply 9
I have this and whilst I don't think it goes away, the pain does lessen. I was born with dislocated hips, which thankfully 'healed' with the help of a brace, but I've been left with chondromalacia patellae and hyper mobility. If I walk long distances etc it causes problems but I just take paracetamol :smile:
Are there any guys with this!
Finally went to the GP about this, turns out I have mild arthritis in my knees =/
Finally went to the GP about this, turns out I have mild arthritis in my knees =/

How did your GP diagnose you?
How did your GP diagnose you?

He sent me for blood tests. I can't remember what they were all called but he definitely did a full blood count, various ones to check for inflammation and a rheumatoid factor.

He also sent me for xrays of my knees.

The blood test showed a slightly raised inflammation which he wasn't worried about because that could have been from having a cold or something. The xray showed I had mild arthritis though.
He sent me for blood tests. I can't remember what they were all called but he definitely did a full blood count, various ones to check for inflammation and a rheumatoid factor.

He also sent me for xrays of my knees.

The blood test showed a slightly raised inflammation which he wasn't worried about because that could have been from having a cold or something. The xray showed I had mild arthritis though.

Sounds like you've got a decent GP. Mine just fobbed me off and sent me to the physio with some vague diagnosis. Time to go private!
I never had this until I cycled 150 miles in two days. The pain is rarely there but I do notice it after running, dancing for long periods of time or squating. Bit of a nuisance 'cause I love endurance sports (would like to run a marathon) but I don't think it would be possible with the regular dull pain it causes in my knee.
Original post by awilson008
I never had this until I cycled 150 miles in two days. The pain is rarely there but I do notice it after running, dancing for long periods of time or squating. Bit of a nuisance 'cause I love endurance sports (would like to run a marathon) but I don't think it would be possible with the regular dull pain it causes in my knee.

Were you ever diagnosed or are you just guessing this is what it is?
Were you ever diagnosed or are you just guessing this is what it is?

Pretty much guessing to be honest, so I may be wrong. I did go to the doctor's but she couldn't tell me what it was which was frustrating. I just have the characteristic symptoms that never truly go away! My knee grinds and this dull pain remains right under the cap. But to be honest right now it isn't bothering me since I haven't been doing much heavy exercise. There was one time where I couldn't physically extend my leg after a few days of cycling. I think my seat height was all wrong so I probably caused the problem myself lol.
Sounds like you've got a decent GP. Mine just fobbed me off and sent me to the physio with some vague diagnosis. Time to go private!

They are really good and very willing to give out blood tests etc... Unfortunately it's a university health centre so I'll have to find a new gp when I graduate this year :frown:

I hope you get yours sorted soon!
Reply 19
Original post by eliza.anne
I have this and whilst I don't think it goes away, the pain does lessen. I was born with dislocated hips, which thankfully 'healed' with the help of a brace, but I've been left with chondromalacia patellae and hyper mobility. If I walk long distances etc it causes problems but I just take paracetamol :smile:

I have hypermobility too, sucha pain!

Latest