The Student Room Group

Silly but quick question :)

I always carry gum with me. If you take one for yourself, is it given that you offer to someone else?
Thing is, I always see that as an indication that the other person has bad breath. And you don't want to make someone uncomfortable for no reason, so often I just take one for myself, as discreetly as possible.
I was out in a bar with a guy I know, he had a gum and offered me one, and I immediately thought "oh no, my breath smells :frown: ". I am really self-conscious about stuff like that!
So what's the verdict here?
Reply 1
I always offer, just in the same way as sharing my sweets. It CAN mean that, but more often than not I'd say it was due to him being friendly. It isn't a bad ice breaker either, or even something to end an awkward silence if it gets to that.
I never fail to be surprised at where the bar is set for use of the anonymous function.
The misuse of Anon in the OP......it's off the scale...this is absurd.
Reply 4
If I had the gum, and I had a friend next to me, I would say to me self "if I take the packet it out and put a gum in my mouth he's going to notice and he might think, oh he didn't offer me one", and so to make it less awkward I would offer my friend one, plus it'd be rude not to offer one. However in a big group of people I'd be very discreet only because it'll all just finish. But then again it's like 30 - 50 pence a pack so it's okay.
Reply 5
I tend to offer to be nice and because I like to share. I'd feel it awkward and rude not to offer someone one or worry they'd think "Oh she didn't offer me one" type of thing. I tend to offer it in a really nonchalant way though so as not to make the person think it was because I thought they had bad breath or something.
Reply 6
Yeah I just offer incase they want one not suggesting they got dragon breath lool

Posted from TSR Mobile
Generally I'd say it is just people being courteous, but in a bar? No chewing gum goes well with drinks :>

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending