The Student Room Group

Ok so I think I've messed up my degree.

Ok, bit of background I'm and undergraduate in third year, my degree is weighted 25% second year 75% third year. It is my understanding that the lowest module is taken out and an average is then calculated. So when I did that I onlookers got 54% as I got mostly high 2:1s but two resists capped at 40%. Only one module back this year so far and got 72%. What are the chances of me getting a first overall, none? Also how hard would it be to get a 2:1, what do I need to be averaging? I think the resists have pretty much ruined it.
Reply 1
wrong forum?

And sorry I don't know what you would need to be resitting, I just thought I'd let you know you're in the wrong place, in the hope you find someone who does know!
(edited 11 years ago)
Not getting a 1 does not mean you have messed up your degree. A lot of people seem to think that getting a 1 is like getting an A or A* at A Level. It doesn't really work like that. Really if you were getting high 2:1s in your second year it was a bit naive to just assume that you would be able to pull a 1 out the bag in third year. If we're talking high 2:1s we're talking about the marks 67-69. If grade boundaries - well, 3, 2:2 and 2:1 - cover 10% each, if you think about it, the 1-3% you were off getting a 1 is actually quite significant and you would have to put some serious work in to get marks that would balance you out as 70% or more on average. A lot of people get very defensive about their degree classification and will say things like 'Oh well I was 1% off a 1 - I should have got a 1!' but if they were really to that standard they would have got it. It's not just a calculator that decides on your classification. Staff have a meeting to go over the results and classifications to make sure that they are fair and truly representative of the students in question.
Right to clarify, I had my marks for 3 modules capped at 40% last year as they were handed in late and it's classed as a resit. I think there is a chance that I can maintain 1st this year as I put hardly any effort in last year and was writing the essays the night before and stuff like that. All I want to know is how hard it would be and if it is numerically possible.
Reply 4
not necessarily, try getting straight firsts this year, the uni can usually apply their own discretion, for eg if ur doing 5 modules this year and u get straight 1sts u probably would get an overall 1st
Ok I didn't realise that, does that happen often?
Reply 6
often enough, a couple of my friends its happened too, but seriously talk to ur personal tutor, then make sure u get straight firsts, ur tutor should knw if any discretion is available.
Cool will do thanks!
Reply 8
Original post by Climbontoyourseahorse
Not getting a 1 does not mean you have messed up your degree. A lot of people seem to think that getting a 1 is like getting an A or A* at A Level. It doesn't really work like that. Really if you were getting high 2:1s in your second year it was a bit naive to just assume that you would be able to pull a 1 out the bag in third year. If we're talking high 2:1s we're talking about the marks 67-69. If grade boundaries - well, 3, 2:2 and 2:1 - cover 10% each, if you think about it, the 1-3% you were off getting a 1 is actually quite significant and you would have to put some serious work in to get marks that would balance you out as 70% or more on average. A lot of people get very defensive about their degree classification and will say things like 'Oh well I was 1% off a 1 - I should have got a 1!' but if they were really to that standard they would have got it. It's not just a calculator that decides on your classification. Staff have a meeting to go over the results and classifications to make sure that they are fair and truly representative of the students in question.

Sorry, I just wanted to butt in here..What I bolded is not true, well not at my university anyway (Plymouth). Your degree classfication here is based entirely on calculations. At the beginning of the final year, we had lecture about how all the grades go through a system electronically and determine your grade. Staff at my uni no longer have a say in what they believe the student should be rewarded. We were giving an example of Student No. 1 who recieved 59.58% and Student No. 2 who recieved 60.1%. Despite their grades through out the year almost being exactly the same. The first student for a 2:2, the second got a 2:1.

This is for the OP really, I just wanted to make sure that they don't get away thinking that this is true- because it may well not be at their university, and in fact be the same as mine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending