The Student Room Group

Ravensbourne University

I was just wondering if anyone who has applied/been offered a place/studies at Ravensbourne has any tips for applying or what it's like there?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
i have an interview there tomorrow and im worried that i wont be able to get there due to the snow!
I don't think the snow will affect it too much tbh. The Uni is right next to the O2, which is on the underground (Jubilee Line). Your problem might be getting in to London, but once your there on the underground you'll be fine, you may have to give yourself some extra time though.

Ravensbourne is quite an odd place. I have friends attending there. They say that they don't have actual 'classrooms'.

It is quite difficult to get in to Ravensbourne without a foundation degree. My other friend got Distinctions all around for his Graphic Design BTEC, and was rejected from there. You stand a better chance if you're applying for their foundation year, and then applying for their degree, although they reject some people who do their own foundation degree as well (unless they have really good grades obviously).
I have got an conditional offer from Ravensbourne for a different course (editing and post production) and the way they accept students is much different to other unis they look at you as a person more than anything. So be prepared to know your stuff. A lot of my friends in my course applied for that course and I think all but two got onto the course. It's a good uni for media and will help you a ton. The classrooms bit is true since most of the room space there can be made Into one.

I really suggest going to look at the uni on one of the open days. If your passionate about media like I was then you will fall in love with it. Also they are apparently building accommodation for Ravensbourne ready for this year so when you go you will be able to live near it as well. But research about the uni and take a look its worth it! Hope to see you in 2014!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Once again going back to my sixth form a couple of people have done a level media and still got onto that course so you really shouldn't need to take the foundation course. Portfolio wise you need a show reel of all your best clips. It is essential you take it to your interview and no matter what you will get an interview.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Erm a short film maybe. Couple of short pieces that are like a minute because they will want to see the short reel on the day of the interview. I know you do theory but maybe you can do it in your own time? And usually A level allows you to film once at least so put that in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Pretty much a year. Interviews don't start until next January but could start in December! As long as you have a kick ass show reel and do well in the interview you should get in! Good luck I love Ravensbourne and cannot wait to start in September!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,

To apply to Ravensbourne for Digital film Production, they would be mainly look for what experience you have done before for example, projects you've done that is related to filming outside of school. Also you must have a strong passion towards this area. In terms of portfolio, I suggest in having a show-reel of what you've filmed or got involved with such as directors, script-writing etc.

Also at Ravensbourne, we do tasters days and Easter school that may interest you in getting involved and this also would help you towards your show-reel. Check it out at: http://www.eventbrite.co.uk/o/ravensbourne-3909495233?s=21848635

In regards, in anything else feel free in checking out our FAQ page:
https://www.facebook.com/ravensbourneFAQ

Hope all the best. :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Hi!

I recently got accepted onto the Digital Film Production course at Ravensbourne. I don't know exactly what they're looking for, but as it's been said before they're less interested in your A-Levels/BTEC qualifications and more interested in what you're doing outside of that to show your passion for film production.

My showreel was largely made up of Music Videos, Live event coverage and a couple of documentary pieces. They were by no means perfect, but they liked the fact I'd thought of the potential problems and how to get over them, for example:

I filmed a music video on a train station in the middle of the night for a local artist in the North West (where I'm from!). http://youtu.be/FKTHi-BpjDc

They asked the following pretty quickly:

"How did you get permission to film there?" - Property release form signed by the station manager.

"How was it lit?" - DIY Work lights with reflectors (hence the strong contrast).

"What were the camera technicals?" - Shot at f1.8 hence the really narrow depth of field etc etc.

"How were the lights powered?" - Rented a Generator...

And so on :smile: The interviewers were really nice and genuinely interested in your passion for film production. They offered me a place in the room which I gladly accepted, can't wait to start! It's an amazing Uni :smile:

Hope some of this helps (even slightly!), but feel free to message me or drop me an email or something if you want any advice!

Ben

www.benwarburtonmedia.com
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending