The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

English at Edinburgh with AAABB Highers

Hi,

Edinburgh University is my first choice and I have been sort of stressing out ever since August over the fact that my grades (AAABB at Highers) were a bit dissapointing. I'm just wondering whether there's anyone on the StudentRoom who's gotten into English Literature at Edinburgh with these or similar grades?

I'm in 6th year now, sitting Advanced Higher English, Advanced Higher History and Higher Modern Studies.

(Also, my two Bs were in Maths and Chemistry - my only 'numbersy' subjects - if this makes any difference).

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
AAABB are great higher results, you could get a unconditional depending on how strong your personal statement is but if the worst comes to the worst you'd get a conditional with relatively low conditions (:
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
Original post by IgnatiusReilly
Hi,

Edinburgh University is my first choice and I have been sort of stressing out ever since August over the fact that my grades (AAABB at Highers) were a bit dissapointing. I'm just wondering whether there's anyone on the StudentRoom who's gotten into English Literature at Edinburgh with these or similar grades?

I'm in 6th year now, sitting Advanced Higher English, Advanced Higher History and Higher Modern Studies.

(Also, my two Bs were in Maths and Chemistry - my only 'numbersy' subjects - if this makes any difference).

Firstly, AAABB is excellent, and there's no need to be disappointed with those grades.

I was made an unconditional offer for Law with lower grades than those. Law tends to be about as competitive as English Literature. Grades aren't everything, but having AAABB is a good start.
Hi,

A friend of mine has an unconditional for English literature with AABBC. Don't worry.
Reply 4
Original post by TheFOMaster
A friend of mine has an unconditional for English literature with AABBC. Don't worry.

Really? At Edinburgh?
Really? At Edinburgh?

Yuhuh, She met the entry requirements, so after that tbh it comes down to her p.s
Reply 6
Wow! Her personal statement must have been brilliant.

Well, thanks a lot for your encouragement; I've got my fingers crossed!
I got AAAB last year, and I have an unconditional for English Lit at Glasgow. I haven't heard from Edinburgh yet (they always take forever) but Glasgow has the same entry requirements so I'm really hoping I get an unconditional from there, too, and you have an extra higher so you should be fine!
Reply 8
Have any of you received a reply from Edinburgh yet? I've applied for English Lit too (joint with Russian Studies) and I've got AAABC at Higher and I'm wondering if I have a chance! Heard back from Glasgow and Strathclyde so far with unconditional offers but I live in Glasgow and as much as I love the place, think I'd like the chance to move away...
Reply 9
Original post by lcuy23
Have any of you received a reply from Edinburgh yet? I've applied for English Lit too (joint with Russian Studies) and I've got AAABC at Higher and I'm wondering if I have a chance! Heard back from Glasgow and Strathclyde so far with unconditional offers but I live in Glasgow and as much as I love the place, think I'd like the chance to move away...

I'm still waiting and its really, really frustrating/nerve-wracking. I've got an unconditional from Glasgow as well, but I feel the same way as you; I live in Glasgow and I really don't want to stay at home. I'm hoping that we'll hear back by the end of March, but annoyingly that's still a possible six weeks of waiting.
Got rejected last night. The email said: "Competition for places was very high, and because we received so many high-quality applications, we were unable to make offers to all candidates that met the minimum entry requirements."

I've emailed them carefully querying the decision (as I really thought I had a chance - being just one grade off the maximum entry reuqirements, having all three As predicted this year, and a statement that I was told was very strong) and asking whether or not there would be any point in reapplying next year) but I doubt I'll get much more than a very formal and vague response.

Reply 11
Got rejected last night. The email said: "Competition for places was very high, and because we received so many high-quality applications, we were unable to make offers to all candidates that met the minimum entry requirements."

I've emailed them carefully querying the decision (as I really thought I had a chance - being just one grade off the maximum entry reuqirements, having all three As predicted this year, and a statement that I was told was very strong) and asking whether or not there would be any point in reapplying next year) but I doubt I'll get much more than a very formal and vague response.

So this was for English Literature?

I presume you are sixth year?
Original post by JM4UNI
So this was for English Literature?

I presume you are sixth year?

Yep; applied for English Literature and I'm in 6th year now. I don't doubt that it was incredibly competitive, and that there were loads of people with better academic achievement than me, but I can't help but feel very dissapointed.
Reply 13
Yep; applied for English Literature and I'm in 6th year now. I don't doubt that it was incredibly competitive, and that there were loads of people with better academic achievement than me, but I can't help but feel very dissapointed.

It seems you have been very unfortunate.

Are your predicted 3 A's for Highers or Advanced Highers?
Well, I'm totally gutted but they're right about it being very competitive.

I'm doing two Advanced Highers (english and history) and one Higher (modern studies).
Reply 15
Can I ask what your 5th year grades were for each subject?

Eng Lit at Edinburgh is extremely competitive. As you are aware, they ask for around 4 A's minimum, and for Lit, this tends to be in one sitting. Try and not be too down. I know that's easy for me to say right now as someone still waiting, but your grades are brilliant.
Original post by JM4UNI
Can I ask what your 5th year grades were for each subject?

Eng Lit at Edinburgh is extremely competitive. As you are aware, they ask for around 4 A's minimum, and for Lit, this tends to be in one sitting. Try and not be too down. I know that's easy for me to say right now as someone still waiting, but your grades are brilliant.

I got As in English, History and RMPS, and Bs in Chemistry and Maths. I knew that it wouldn't be easy to get into Edinburgh as soon as I got the grades but I was disappointed to receive a flat-out rejection. I'm sure it's fair, just not entirely sure what to do now.
Edinburgh are kinda unpredicatable with their offers. Like Glasgow have their policy of 4As=unconditional. Is there any other uni you kinda fancied or would consider as a 'back up'? :smile:
Reply 18
I got As in English, History and RMPS, and Bs in Chemistry and Maths. I knew that it wouldn't be easy to get into Edinburgh as soon as I got the grades but I was disappointed to receive a flat-out rejection. I'm sure it's fair, just not entirely sure what to do now.

What other universities have you applied to? Have they given you offers?
Original post by JM4UNI
What other universities have you applied to? Have they given you offers?

Currently I have an unconditional from Glasgow, and rejections from St. Andrews and Edinburgh. I got an interview from UCL but - as I live in Scotland - they emailed me to say I could send them a writing piece instead, which I did. That was around three weeks ago and I'm fairly sure they'll reject me; if not that, they'll give me the highest possible conditions which I probably won't be able to meet. And, even if I do meet them, I can't study in England anyway because it is insanely expensive.

I couldn't seriously apply for places in England because it's so expensive and most decent universities want very, very good results in Highers and Advanced Highers (most only consider you with three As, but I go to quite a small state school where it's difficult to do three Advanced Highers). Also, Glasgow and Edinburgh are the only two proper university cities in Scotland (in my opinion); I do not want to go to Stirling or Aberdeen or Dundee. As I live in Glasgow, I'm reluctant to stay here unless I can get a good place in Halls of Residence.

I don't know; would it be worthwhile trying really hard at this year's exams, then getting a job for a year and reapplying, or would it be a waste of my time?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending