The Student Room Group

How does one be a ''Prodigy' at maths?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ummm
I wish I could just be absolutely amazing at something. Having a memory like his would be insane! I saw a video on another maths prodigy, and he was talking about he see's numbers as different shapes/colours/feelings and he's able to recite Pi to like 30,000 digits because he see's the sequence of numbers as a landscape.

Having a photographic memory would just be so good. I'd just read so many books. Exams would be so easy.

I do that too (but not with pi)! Why aren't I a prodigy?!? :rolleyes:
Extremely immense mental capability to withhold and recall certain info, and practice.maybe

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by katiel8281
Extremely immense mental capability to withhold and recall certain info, and practice.maybe

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you American too?
Reply 43
Original post by Madalaine M
I do that too (but not with pi)! Why aren't I a prodigy?!? :rolleyes:

How do you use it? Have you just always done it?
Reply 44
Original post by stuart_aitken
This will have certainly been true a few decades ago, but now everything has diluted and there are plenty of rich people who are not rich through intelligence, I'm certain of that.

In the long run, social mobility is approximately better now than ever. Pretty much all wealth was inherited in the past, so becoming rich just by being smart simply didn't happen. The advent of the internet and a tech advanced society has changed this somewhat.
Original post by ummm
How do you use it? Have you just always done it?

If I have to learn a lot of info, I'll create a story in my mind that I have an emotional attachment with. I figured emotions are a very powerful tool to learn/help me remember stuff. Sometimes it can lead to daydreaming which isn't particularly useful ... It's quite complex and no I don't mean mnemonics but these do have their purpose.
Reply 46
Original post by Madalaine M
If I have to learn a lot of info, I'll create a story in my mind that I have an emotional attachment with. I figured emotions are a very powerful tool to learn/help me remember stuff. Sometimes it can lead to daydreaming which isn't particularly useful ... It's quite complex and no I don't mean mnemonics but these do have their purpose.

That's so cool! :smile: Do you think it's possible for other people who don't normally do it to do it too? Like me? How would you go about doing it?
Reply 47
Original post by Acidy
I've recently been wondering about this after reading a few articles on children who have surpassed even cambridge mathematics at an age of seven.

Are some children naturally gifted with numerical abilitiy? What do they see when they look at a maths equation that others do not?

:s-smilie::s-smilie:

If you have to ask, then you're not one. :colondollar:
Can't be bothered to read more than the sixth post, but that is not a myth.

Here is why and you can find more here.
good parenting and hard work will make you better than almost everyone else - good enough to pass almost any undergraduate degree in maths.

with a little bit of talent and a lot of work you'd be able to reach masters / phd level

Hard work and good parenting goes a very long way - but it will never make you a gauss or a ramanujan - these natural geniuses are in a different league to ordinary men. To be a true great you need to be born talented - it depresses me greatly to admit this (because my maths is largely build on hard work rather than talent), but by all accounts it's true!
What is this difference then?

This person hardly forgot anything throughout his entire life. While working as a reporter, he did not take notes of any
conversations and/or photos and he could remember them vividly enough to recall almost all details at any given time.
Reply 51
Watch Numb3rs a lot :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest