The Student Room Group

Anyone planning to travel alone in 2013?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Cll_ws
I could do Montreal actually, i'm guessing you recommend it? :tongue: I'll definitely look into it some more.

If I was to do both Montreal and Boston, as well as NY, Philadelphia, Niagara and Toronto, it actually makes for quite a good looking route (i'm flying to and from NY, so need to end up back there)

V3A0LWFl.jpg

What's the easiest way to travel between Montreal and Boston? I had a quick look and there doesn't appear to a train between the two.

It's nice to visit for a few days :smile: Though if you run out of time and have to end up choosing between Montreal and Boston, pick Boston.

Trains are really bad in North America :O I was looking at taking the train to NY from Montreal, but there's only 1 a day and it takes longer than the bus! Your best bet is greyhound (they have set prices) or megabus (which works like the UK where they sell really cheap tickets if you get them early - you can do Montreal - Toronto for $10 if you look hard enough).

Another option is rideshares which I've only heard good things about from people who've done it. Try Kijiji and Craigslist or just type rideshare into google and see which sites come up (never done it myself so not sure which ones are best).
Reply 41
Original post by ily_em
It's nice to visit for a few days :smile: Though if you run out of time and have to end up choosing between Montreal and Boston, pick Boston.

Trains are really bad in North America :O I was looking at taking the train to NY from Montreal, but there's only 1 a day and it takes longer than the bus! Your best bet is greyhound (they have set prices) or megabus (which works like the UK where they sell really cheap tickets if you get them early - you can do Montreal - Toronto for $10 if you look hard enough).

Another option is rideshares which I've only heard good things about from people who've done it. Try Kijiji and Craigslist or just type rideshare into google and see which sites come up (never done it myself so not sure which ones are best).

I have heard that the trains aren't great. It makes it a bit easier that i'm mostly going between major cities as Amtrak runs trains between most of them. I'd be fine with getting a bus though, especially if it was quicker. I'll look into rideshares as well, that could be a cool thing to do.

Time isn't really an issue, it's a more a case of how far my money will take me. I'm aiming to visit as many places as possible, so the cheaper I can do things the more places I can visit!

Thanks for the info :biggrin:
I'm thinking about travelling Australasia in the summer (so from 18th June - 2nd September) has anyone done this or does anyone have any tips :P think I've got a few ideas but would love some other input! x
I'm going to SE asia for 4.5 months, arriving late april back in early sept, mostly solo, gunna be insane!
Reply 44
probably will end up that way, i need to get away even if for a long weekend, don't mind where or how much, just want to go with someone around my age 18-25. Adam
Original post by tightheadprop1
I'm going to SE asia for 4.5 months, arriving late april back in early sept, mostly solo, gunna be insane!

I'm arriving in SE Asia mid April for 2 and a half months :tongue: What're your plans? :biggrin:
Original post by EllaBella<3
I'm arriving in SE Asia mid April for 2 and a half months :tongue: What're your plans? :biggrin:

nice one, im arriving in singapore just before may, and making my way up to bangkok, through cambodia, veitnam, laos and back to bangkok for late august. with full moon on 25th may and meeting a couple of mates, otherwise not very structured. you?
Original post by stuffedolivia
Yesss I am going alone to SE Asia from late March to late September! Hope to see you guys there.

awesome, that's 6months then, good effort, any particular plans?
Original post by tightheadprop1
nice one, im arriving in singapore just before may, and making my way up to bangkok, through cambodia, veitnam, laos and back to bangkok for late august. with full moon on 25th may and meeting a couple of mates, otherwise not very structured. you?

Ah sounds good! :biggrin: I'm landing in Bangkok on the 15th of April, heading North towards Chiang Mai then through Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia before heading South to the Thai Islands through to Singapore, and if money allows me i'm going to fly over to Indonesia for a couple of weeks! :biggrin:
Reply 49
Original post by adamparker
probably will end up that way, i need to get away even if for a long weekend, don't mind where or how much, just want to go with someone around my age 18-25. Adam

Same, wouldn't mind going with someone tbh, just for a small break somewhere hot! What place have you had your mind on?
[video="youtube;wCbDUREBwUg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCbDUREBwUg[/video]
I'm leaving in July for a year to travel solo. I'm starting off in Australia and SE Asia but who knows where after that! Can't wait. People feel like dead weights to me when I'm travelling.
Travelling alone sounds like an unusual and interesting idea. Apart from going to Spain on a school trip twice, I've only ever travelled around France, Germany and Central Europe for the purpose of visiting family. I've always wanted to go to North Africa but my dad never wanted to visit any of those places because he's convinced we would get attacked :rolleyes: even if I told him I knew people that had been there before and they were perfectly fine :lol: I wouldn't travel by myself there though, I'd go with at least one other person.
I have a loose plan in place for travelling across Russia and China, basically following the Trans-Siberian/Mongolian railway. It's still in the early stages though, because while I'm not worried about travelling alone, Russia and China aren't necessarily the safest parts of the world! We'll see, but it'd be a fascinating journey to do.
I'm hoping to book an adventure holiday trip with RealGap to Thialand this summer - although it will be totally dependant on what money I'll have at that point!

It will be my first trip on my own but you meet up with a group of people there and you have a tour guide so your not totally on your own - I think it's a nice way to get into solo travel. I like being about to get out and about, try different things, I'm a bit of an adrenaline junkie but not alot of my friends do .. I think it would suit be down to the ground
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by EllaBella<3
Ah sounds good! :biggrin: I'm landing in Bangkok on the 15th of April, heading North towards Chiang Mai then through Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia before heading South to the Thai Islands through to Singapore, and if money allows me i'm going to fly over to Indonesia for a couple of weeks! :biggrin:
awesome, pretty much the reverse of mine:smile:we could tell each other what was good/ bad halfway. Do u dive? Had a look at the gibbon experience?
Reply 56
Original post by llessur123
I'm leaving in July for a year to travel solo. I'm starting off in Australia and SE Asia but who knows where after that! Can't wait. People feel like dead weights to me when I'm travelling.

Can I ask...

How would you feel if you found someone (Online) who hadt he same travel intentions, would you consider it? If I messaged you now saying blah blah me too, when/where, why and so on, would you consider travelling with me...

I'm only using this as an example btw :P
Original post by FrogInABog
I have a loose plan in place for travelling across Russia and China, basically following the Trans-Siberian/Mongolian railway. It's still in the early stages though, because while I'm not worried about travelling alone, Russia and China aren't necessarily the safest parts of the world! We'll see, but it'd be a fascinating journey to do.

That sounds awesome. I would love to do it someday, esp. the railways parts - there was a programme on about the new railway into Mongolia on TV last year and it looked utterly incredible. Pressurised carriages! :cool:
Reply 58
Original post by Fullofsurprises
That sounds awesome. I would love to do it someday, esp. the railways parts - there was a programme on about the new railway into Mongolia on TV last year and it looked utterly incredible. Pressurised carriages! :cool:

You should better start from something less difficult. For example - you may visit Russia first of all.
Original post by Fullofsurprises

If only everyone I knew was as easily convinced by the idea as you! Normally when I bring it up (or rather, as soon as they hear the word "Russia"), I get looks of utter disbelief/shock/terror/etc...

By "pressurised carriages", do you mean the sort of thing they have on aeroplanes? Is it something to do with the altitude? Sounds futuristic! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest