The Student Room Group

Opinions on Hunter Wellies

I'm thinking of ordering some Hunter wellies and wanted to know how good they actually are. They're my first pair so I don't know but I know people that have them and they're very happy with them.

Also, are they suitable to wear on days when it doesn't rain and it's just cold because they're very cosy apparently haha!

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi there! I'm a very outdoorsy girl and have had a lot of wellies in my time! I have had two pairs of hunters, along with plenty of others! I had an incredible first pair of hunters which lasted me years of wearing practically every day. However, my second pair gave after just 6 moths which I was no impressed about at all!! I now have a cheaper pair which have lasted me nearly three years of frequent wear, and I'm extremely happy with them!! So you could get an amazing pair, or a rubbish pair.

To do with warmth, wellies are never warm as they have no insulation at all. Buying wellie socks is the best idea. Or there are some types of boots which are not wellies, but are waterproof and extremely warm.

What are you planning to use the wellies for? Are you horsie/farming, or is this just for country walks?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
no good for fat calves
Reply 3
Original post by katieep
Hi there! I'm a very outdoorsy girl and have had a lot of wellies in my time! I have had two pairs of hunters, along with plenty of others! I had an incredible first pair of hunters which lasted me years of wearing practically every day. However, my second pair gave after just 6 moths which I was no impressed about at all!! I now have a cheaper pair which have lasted me nearly three years of frequent wear, and I'm extremely happy with them!! So you could get an amazing pair, or a rubbish pair.

To do with warmth, wellies are never warm as they have no insulation at all. Buying wellie socks is the best idea. Or there are some types of boots which are not wellies, but are waterproof and extremely warm.

What are you planning to use the wellies for? Are you horsie/farming, or is this just for country walks?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahhhh okay..well mainly for college and whenever the weathers bad really..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by popnit
Ahhhh okay..well mainly for college and whenever the weathers bad really..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Then you'll look like a bit of a poser, sorry. Get some nice boots like these http://shop.timberland.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12230429 or similar if you want a winter boot.
I also live in the middle of nowhere, so wellies are pretty standard footwear for me! I've owned wellies from several brands, and my last two pairs have been Hunters. Personally, I find them to be the most comfortable brand, although, especially given the price, not always the longest lasting. My mum insists that this is because production must have been moved to China, as her last pair lasted for about ten years, whereas her newer ones leaked after six months, but I'm not sure if that's entirely true! If you're looking for warmth, wellies aren't really ideal, and you'll need thick socks. That said, if you're willing to pay a little more, neoprene-lined (like wetsuit material) wellies are a bit more insulated, and very comfortable. Hunter do them, but I'm not sure how much more they are than a standard pair.

You may find that if you're only wearing them to go to college in bad weather, any brand will last, because you won't be bashing them up too much. Just go in to a shop, try some on, decide which you find the most comfortable, check the price isn't astronomical, and buy those.
Original post by RibenaRockstar
Then you'll look like a bit of a poser, sorry. Get some nice boots like these http://shop.timberland.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12230429 or similar if you want a winter boot.

For $180? You're going to look like more of a poser wearing $180 boots that you only use for bad weather!
Original post by FrogInABog
For $180? You're going to look like more of a poser wearing $180 boots that you only use for bad weather!

I said *like*, not those ones - I'm sure Primark/ New Look, etc do something that looks similar - it's just that I knew Timberland would have an example of what I wanted to show, and I'd be able to find it easily

(oh, and Timberland is far cheaper at the Bicester outlet village, making it about the same price point as Hunter wellies)
Reply 8
Hunter boots are really warm. You don't need to wear extra thick socks underneath for your feet to stay warm. (Well I don't anyway).

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 9
Original post by popnit
I'm thinking of ordering some Hunter wellies and wanted to know how good they actually are. They're my first pair so I don't know but I know people that have them and they're very happy with them.

Also, are they suitable to wear on days when it doesn't rain and it's just cold because they're very cosy apparently haha!

Thanks

Hunters used to be the wellie of choice when they were made in Britain, a pair would last up to 10 years. Then production moved to China and the quality now is utter garbage, after years of wearing Hunters I've not moved to wearing lesser priced, but much better quality wellies. I know wear Ryedale's and they're brilliant!
Reply 10
Original post by fletchdd02
I know wear Ryedale's and they're brilliant!

I agree with this, Ryedales are much better and cost nothing in comparison
Reply 11
Thanks for replying everyone..I think I'll go check them out in a shop before I buy something I don't find comfy. I'm edging towards hunters and I've got small feet so I'm gonna get the kids one hehehe..which makes them £35 which is reasonable considering they're around £20-25 in non designer brand shops. Only concern is quality but ahh well..they're not gonna last forever anyway!

Posted from TSR Mobile
umm they are decent but i find it is mainly middle class "rah" jack wills wannabe types thinking they are fashionable and cool who wear them.

depends what you want them for, i am guessing you aren't a country lass since you're asking this question, in which case you don't want to be spending that amount on wellies when you'll probably only be using them for festivals... or a few times a year. there are plenty of other wellies that are just as good... see rydale, joules... etc.

the only thing i do recommend, if you are planning on wearing them in the winter while walking a lot, get some kind of lining as they don't usually offer much in the way of insulation... that is where hunters can be good because you can get some with nice padding. plenty of other welly companies that sell similar though.
you look like a ****
Reply 14
They're not bad I guess, but I personally could not spend hat much on a pair of wellies. My ~£10 Matalan wellies have served me very well during the snow in the last few years :tongue:
hunter wellies are good they are not warm though no wellies are however they are comfy! i do like hunters however cheeper wellies are just the same
Reply 16
Hunters are good, I have a shiny grey pair but the best wellies of them all are Le Chameau, now they are good wellies but probably not worth it at all unless you're in them all the time.
I wear Joules wellies - sooo good! Bit pricey ~£40 full price but they have lasted me years of wandering around my uncles farm and on DoE expos which I assess for about 7 times year.

I have these ones :smile: http://www.joules.com/Women/Wellies/Welly-Print/Womens-Welly/Pink-Spot?id=O_WELLYPRINT|PINKSPT

Edit: I find Joules fit better than Hunters - but I have abnormally large lady feet!
(edited 11 years ago)
I've always loved my hunters. I've had them years and they're really comfortable. Admittedly they're very expensive though, so unless you're the sort of person who wears wellies a lot they're not the most profitable. I've also had a pair of wellies from joules which were nice and fairly reliable, but nowhere near as sturdy as hunters are.
Reply 19
Did anyone find the original hunter ones are slightly big around the calf?

Quick Reply

Latest