The Student Room Group

Should I retake the GMAT?

Hi,

Ive just recently taken the gmat and got 650. Not as high as i was hoping to get and i dont think I have enough time to study more and retake the gmat.
I want to apply to msc finance at lse, imperial, cass, oxford, warwick
I am worried that my gmat score will let me down big time.

I got a econ 2.1 degree from a top10 uk university.
Also, I am IMC qualified and have attended LSE Summer school before (financial markets)

Can anyone tell me if i should retake the gmat or just hope for the best with 650?

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Could you share the break up of your quant score and verbal score? And their respective percentiles. That would matter more than just the overall score.
Reply 2
Hi thanks for the reply.

Quant: 45 (68%)
Verbal: 34 (69%)
Total: 650 (78%)

Really want to get applications out asap so need to make a decision on the retake quick!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by kpy20
Hi thanks for the reply.

Quant: 45 (68%)
Verbal: 34 (69%)
Total: 650 (78%)

Really want to get applications out asap so need to make a decision on the retake quick!

Posted from TSR Mobile

My advice would be to retake it and make sure your quant percentile is at least 80-85% because from what I've gathered that is what universities look at while considering you for a quantitative programme.

PossiblPossibly
Reply 4
I think 650 would do for Cass, you would be in the 80% range for Imperial. But LSE and Oxford is 700ish. Which study guide and mock exams did you use? Manhattan Gmat replicates test well and gets good reviews among test takers, Princeton and Kaplan are underwhelming. Adcoms look at Quant score and quant. courses on your transcript.

Note: Apply early, I heard that LSE and Warwick filled their places before Easter. Wait for another month to next test, study on your problem areas and nail it.
Reply 5
@Tcannon

Thanks for the reply.

I used the books published by the GMAC which were rubbish. By the time I realized this it was too late to order new books.

If i retake the gmat, which book do you recommend? Also do you think there will still be places left at universities like lse, imperial etc by february?

Thanjs

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by kpy20
@Tcannon

Thanks for the reply.

I used the books published by the GMAC which were rubbish. By the time I realized this it was too late to order new books.

If i retake the gmat, which book do you recommend? Also do you think there will still be places left at universities like lse, imperial etc by february?

Thanjs

Posted from TSR Mobile

Places left - Yes.

As for books, the Manhattan series is good. Definitely use that, especially for sentence correction and critical reasoning.
Reply 7
KPY20,

Regarding Gmat books: Manhattan Gmat by a mile, pretty much consensus among Gmat takers in my study group. It focuses on test conditions and study preps you, shows areas one needs to work on. Also mock exams tend to be tougher than Knewton or Kaplan. So you are ready after studying for 4-6 weeks. We didn't look at GMAC books. For quant prep books: OG Quant 2 is good.

Have you checked out the websites: www.Gmatclub.com and BeattheGmat.com. Plenty help, emotional support and feedback from other students.

Feb is fine. As rule of thumb, LSE receives more applications for MSc Finance. Imperial and Cass are less competitive. Have you considered Cranfield MSc Finance & Management? It is good and has rolling enrollment.

Where are you from? Good luck
Reply 8
Tcannon,

I'm from Korea but a UK citizen.

When I say Feb, I mean very late Feb, like 22nd/23rd.
If you don't mind, could you tell me how you're certain that the universities will still be accepting applications by then?

I've made some mistakes in the past regarding education and career so I hope you understand me not wanting to make any more mistakes!

Yes, I've considered Cranfield as a back up and also Henleys?

Thanks
Reply 9
kpy20,

Q: If you don't mind, could you tell me how you're certain that the universities will still be accepting applications by then?

A: Some adcoms specifically state that they have rolling admissions and still make offers after April (see Cranfield). You can email them.
Another good clue is to look at threads of your target schools from previous years on this forum or other. It gives you idea when most applicants apply and when the deadline is when no offers were made and schools only take people from waitlist. The info about LSE and Warwick and place filled was provided by current students who heard it from the department. Cranfield or MBS are better than Henley for Msc.

How are you going to fund courses, tuition for MSc Finance is extortionate. Plus london living cost is sky high. If you are in the UK and can identify your weakness, you can hire a tutor to address problem. Gmat tutors are expensive, but maths tutor at uni are affordable for a 4x1 hr sessions. I did it for my retake and it was money well spent.
Reply 10
Tcannon,

I suppose emailing each department about deadlines would be the best way.

I will get the development loan from barclays and parents will pay the rest i guess.

How did you do in your Gmat? Are you applying for a MSc as well?
As long as you scored 45/60 on the quantitative section of the GMAT, you'll be fine for Imperial. Might not be enough for LSE as they specifically ask for the GMAT.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending