The Student Room Group

OCR MEI FP1 January 23rd

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
OMG! That was the WORST exam I have ever taken! I was hoping for a B but that will not be happening now :frown:
Section A was fine. I was pretty happy i got the proof by induction (although the inequalities might have made me lose a few marks)...then section B happened.

I must of dropped around 12 marks between that random proof question and the weird argand diagram question. So yeah, i was hoping for a decent A so it would ease the load for the 7 other modules i am doing in June. But apparently not.
I couldn't do the 7marker on proving why k was between -1 and -1/9...there were also lots of other little bits I wasn't sure on-- for the imaginary and real bits I remember getting like 1 and -1?! And what did people get for the inequality question in section A- I got x<1 anyone with me?! Ahh that was such a disaster :frown: fingers crossed for super low boundaries!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
Messed up the induction -_- Got about half way then just wrote out the conclusion, hopefully I can scavenge couple of them 8 marks...

Apart from that I'm ok, for the method of differences question why did they give us 2 pages? I did it in about 5 lines xD

Actually managed to get the k question, and mod and arg p, although I gave the argument in degrees which might lose me a mark....
Reply 24
Right that was an absolute beast!!!

Couldn't do the proof by induction, didn't follow through my method on the 7mker on Section B and didn't get the 2 questions on the Argand diagram. Combined with some other silly errors I'll be lucky to get an A!

I am fortunate enough to have a fair "cushion" into an A-grade from having a whole year of AS Further maths so it's unlikely I'll have to retake but it does mean I will actually have to do something in numerical methods... *sigh*
Reply 25
i didn't enjoy this paper

and that's all i have to say about that
Reply 26
Original post by alex7892
Thanks man its when solving a linear programming problem how do we know when to provide integer solutions and when not too?

depends on the wordy bits. unless they explicitly ask you then you just have to read and use logic. if, for example, it's a number of houses then obviously you can't have 250.948569 houses or whatever, you can only have whole houses. however if it's.. weight of sugar used or something then you can go to decimal places and the integers aren't encessary :smile: depends on the context
Reply 27
What questions were in section B, except from the argand diagram question and the graph question? I have a short memory when it comes to exams!
Reply 28
Original post by c.sum
What questions were in section B, except from the argand diagram question and the graph question? I have a short memory when it comes to exams!

3x3 matrices and that was it I think
Reply 29
Original post by iCiaran
3x3 matrices and that was it I think

Was that the final question?
Reply 30
Original post by c.sum
Was that the final question?

Yep, very very last question was inverse or (AB) in terms of the inverse of A and the inverse of B, then find it.
Reply 31
Wow! So difficult. Following C1 I was expecting a shock but that was beyond any of my expectations for that paper

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
Found the argand diagram and inequality questions really hard, rest was absolutely fine, hope I got an A but doubt it tbh.
Reply 33
Can anyone remember the questions if so I will start making an unofficial mark scheme
Reply 34
I don't remember having to use the discriminant in any of the past papers. Then it comes up twice! Terrible paper. :s-smilie:
Reply 35
Original post by Keynesian
Can anyone remember the questions if so I will start making an unofficial mark scheme

Cant remeber question numbers excatly, also could anyone explain how to solve 4ii) ?

4i) show x2x+2>0x^2-x+2>0 for all real x
4ii) solve inequality 2xx2x+2>x\frac{2x}{x^2-x+2}>x

2) z = a + bj, find Re(z/z*) and Im(z/z*)

8i) represent |z-(-8+15j)|<10 on an argand diagram.
ii) using diagram show 7 < |z| < 27
iii) mark point P on diagram where |z-(-8+15j)|=10 has maximum arg and something else i cant remember
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 36
Original post by Keynesian

1) A=([br]01[br]10[br])[br][br]B=([br]20[br]03[br])A = \begin{pmatrix}[br]0 & 1\\ [br]1 & 0[br]\end{pmatrix}[br][br]B = \begin{pmatrix}[br]2 & 0\\ [br]0 & 3[br]\end{pmatrix}

i) Name the transformations
ii) Matrix for A followed by B

2) (I think this was 2) z=a+bjz = a+bj

Re(zz)Re(\frac{z}{z^{*}}) and Im(zz)Im(\frac{z}{z^{*}})

Will add as I think of them, probably without question numbers
I was re-sitting this exam hoping to get a higher grade, and i think i would be lucky to have passed.
this was such a hard exam and i'm soooooo annoyed because i done so much revision!!!!!
Reply 38
Does anyone have a copy of the paper they can upload by any chance? Just wanna reassure myself of how miserably I failed...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending