The Student Room Group

is it impossible to enter Phd straight after 2.2 Beng in UCL

Hi, everyone. I am new in student forum and i apologize for my bad english as i am an oversea student.
im second year student doing UCL mechanical engineering. I am now repeating second year because i put too much effort on funding and running a business in London as well as lots of preparation last academic year.
however ,I do realise that phd is quite important for me in some specific way, but due to terrible results in second year so i may get 2.2 after graduation . I know some universities or courses phd candidates can be accepted without master degree.
but related to my situation, is it still possible for me to get a Phd straight after bachelor?
ps: im not preparing to apply for scholarship cuz I have got enough money to finish 3 years phd on my own.
Thanks a lot.my dear friends.
Reply 1
I am not too sure. If you have mitigating circumstances, then u should mention it in your application. Plus, UCL is an amazing uni, and you self fund your study will surely make it easier for u to get a place. I am international student as well.
Reply 2
If you can fund the PhD on your own then you would probably stand a significantly better chance of being accepted. The problem I can forsee is that you 'mitigating circumstances' was focus too much on finance and funding yourself. If you are presenting yourself as a candidate who wishes to pay for their own PhD asan admissions tutor may ask whether they could realistically consider you being able to balance the academic side and financial side when you've struggled in the past. With a highly competitive university like UCL, I think it may be difficult. If you do a masters and get a high mark in it, then that will alleviate many of the potential doubts that an admissions tutor may have.
Reply 3
Getting onto a PhD straight after a 3 years bachelors degree is uncommon, even with a 2:1. Typically its more usual for students to have either 4 year degrees (eg MSci) or a separate masters. Self-funding might make admissions a bit easier but I think you would still struggle to get into most top programs. Since money doesnt seem to be a big problem for you, your best bet might be to self-fund a masters at the best place you can get into, try and get a distinction, and then apply for PhD programs.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
I think you could get a place, especially as you are not expecting to be funded. Try and do a good job of your final year project, and maybe try and get some research/industrial experience over the summer? I got a v. low 2.i in my BSc and went straight into a funded Phd in engineering/maths...
Reply 5
Original post by 09001904
I am not too sure. If you have mitigating circumstances, then u should mention it in your application. Plus, UCL is an amazing uni, and you self fund your study will surely make it easier for u to get a place. I am international student as well.

Thanks, man. I will mention it in my application and have a try maybe....
Reply 6
Original post by paddy_
I think you could get a place, especially as you are not expecting to be funded. Try and do a good job of your final year project, and maybe try and get some research/industrial experience over the summer? I got a v. low 2.i in my BSc and went straight into a funded Phd in engineering/maths...

WOW, that's great. would you mind advice me what uni will consider the situations that I have now. Apart from the business experience, i also took the long-term internship in an education coorperation doing researching work which might be related as you said. I am interested in maths honestly , and I feel so regret about didnt choose math in uni... I will try best to perform well in third year. Thanks
Reply 7
Original post by bownessie
If you can fund the PhD on your own then you would probably stand a significantly better chance of being accepted. The problem I can forsee is that you 'mitigating circumstances' was focus too much on finance and funding yourself. If you are presenting yourself as a candidate who wishes to pay for their own PhD asan admissions tutor may ask whether they could realistically consider you being able to balance the academic side and financial side when you've struggled in the past. With a highly competitive university like UCL, I think it may be difficult. If you do a masters and get a high mark in it, then that will alleviate many of the potential doubts that an admissions tutor may have.

Thanks, I do agree with your opinion, I am now also thinking about taking a master before PHD, I may choose finance or math as my phd field. so what do i need to prepare from now, could you plz advise? thank you soo much!
Reply 8
Original post by Ted_never_bake
WOW, that's great. would you mind advice me what uni will consider the situations that I have now. Apart from the business experience, i also took the long-term internship in an education coorperation doing researching work which might be related as you said. I am interested in maths honestly , and I feel so regret about didnt choose math in uni... I will try best to perform well in third year. Thanks

I cant advise about that unfortunately. It's up to you to find research groups you would like to be a part of in places you would like be happy to live. Also, some supervisors will take more interest in transcripts while others will take other things into consideration. Please try and get a 2.i though, it will be a big big help!
Reply 9
Thanks, I do agree with your opinion, I am now also thinking about taking a master before PHD, I may choose finance or math as my phd field. so what do i need to prepare from now, could you plz advise? thank you soo much!

Basically you need to decide whether you want to do a taught masters or a masters of research. Then while you do your masters you try and get good grade and start writing up a research proposal/apply for phds while you do it.
Original post by bownessie
Basically you need to decide whether you want to do a taught masters or a masters of research. Then while you do your masters you try and get good grade and start writing up a research proposal/apply for phds while you do it.

Thanks a lot. I have gone through the phd courses and requirements. Normally for top universities they require master degree and 2.1 or 1st class in undergraduate studies. Is that mean even I got good marks in maybe UCL master degree, when I apply it with 2.2 undergraduate honor. I will be rejected?
Thanks a lot. I have gone through the phd courses and requirements. Normally for top universities they require master degree and 2.1 or 1st class in undergraduate studies. Is that mean even I got good marks in maybe UCL master degree, when I apply it with 2.2 undergraduate honor. I will be rejected?

No, it doesn't. A good masters degree can compensate for a less good undergraduate.

Quick Reply

Latest