The Student Room Group

Why does everybody hate Nickelback?

I have a seriously strong opinion on this, Nickelback is my favourite band of all time (don't judge)

My question is, why does everybody hate them? Ye, he used to have noodle hair, but he was still fit as ***! They are amazing live, his voice is rusty, he sings about sex and beer, what more could you ask for?

Tell me, why does everyone hate them? Upsets me deeply :tongue:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I like them :smile: their not my favourite band, but I wouldn't skip if one of their tracks came on!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
I like their first album, Silver Side Up (2002), but I'm sorry to say I found their later work contemptible, especially that "I wanna be a big rockstar" one - it was so dry and repetitive...
Reply 3
Original post by wanaellam
I have a seriously strong opinion on this, Nickelback is my favourite band of all time (don't judge)

My question is, why does everybody hate them? Ye, he used to have noodle hair, but he was still fit as ***! They are amazing live, his voice is rusty, he sings about sex and beer, what more could you ask for?

I don't particularly hate them, don't particularly like them either, but when you see that on YouTube, 44m people have hit You Remind Me, evidently not *everybody* hates them.
Reply 4
Original post by miser
I like their first album, Silver Side Up (2002), but I'm sorry to say I found their later work contemptible, especially that "I wanna be a big rockstar" one - it was so dry and repetitive...

I agree massively with 'Rockstar', it is by far the worst song they have ever produced, e v e r, however when I saw them live, this song definitely created the most atmosphere and was still amazing!!!
Reply 5
I was once absolutely obsessed with Nickleback, when I first heard 'How You Remind Me' at age 13. I think they're great
Reply 6
This is just my opinion, I know others don't feel the same way...

But I think they're just boring. They epitomise everything cringeworthy and lame about modern rock bands. Their lyrics are clichéd, they play at being rebellious rockstars when are quite the opposite.

I agree though, it is another internet bandwagon (like Justin Bieber hate) that has gone way over the top. It's trendy to hate them.
Reply 7
Original post by IzzyOnboard
I don't particularly hate them, don't particularly like them either, but when you see that on YouTube, 44m people have hit You Remind Me, evidently not *everybody* hates them.

Haha it was a huge generalisation I know, but when searching results on Twitter the amount of abuse they get from their none-fans is awful!
Reply 8

I used to be OBSESSED with Nickelback. :yep:
Nowadays, I'm not as huge a fan as I was, but I still have them on my iPod and listen to them from time to time. I don't understand why people have a problem with them - there are far worse bands out there!
Reply 9
Original post by cabluigi
This is just my opinion, I know others don't feel the same way...

But I think they're just boring. They epitomise everything cringeworthy and lame about modern rock bands. Their lyrics are clichéd, they play at being rebellious rockstars when are quite the opposite.

I agree though, it is another internet bandwagon (like Justin Bieber hate) that has gone way over the top. It's trendy to hate them.

Of course, that's your opinion, just like my opinion is opposite. When a meme comes up with 'whilst at the nickelback concert' and the picture is of empty seats, yes even I find that hilarious but still, like you said, it seems to be the norm to automatically hate them across the internet
I love them! :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by emilie18
I used to be OBSESSED with Nickelback. :yep:
Nowadays, I'm not as huge a fan as I was, but I still have them on my iPod and listen to them from time to time. I don't understand why people have a problem with them - there are far worse bands out there!

For example: One Direction (Apologies if they are now your new obsession over nickelback) :tongue:
Reply 12
The heavy music fans dislike them because they write more pop-ish songs, the pop fans dislike them because they write heavy songs. They're just a decent band who don't really care about anything bar writing music they personally enjoy and that is always going to encourage people to dislike them for one reason or another.
Reply 13
Original post by nicatre
The heavy music fans dislike them because they write more pop-ish songs, the pop fans dislike them because they write heavy songs. They're just a decent band who don't really care about anything bar writing music they personally enjoy and that is always going to encourage people to dislike them for one reason or another.

Exactly, they're an 'inbetweeny' band.
Reply 14
For example: One Direction (Apologies if they are now your new obsession over nickelback) :tongue:

Haha! I was actually going to put One Direction as an example :laugh: So, so true. (Oh please, no I have better music taste than that :tongue:)
Reply 15
Don't like them really, and I have a very broad music taste. His voice doesn't do anything for me. Additionally their songs just feel a little...I'm not sure...maybe oppressive :s-smilie:? Certainly don't induce any emotion in me. In in my mind, that makes them bad. I like everything from jazz to metal to hip-hop to house to dnb to classic rock and prog rock to modern rock, alternative (indie as some people call it) to blues to J-pop and J-rock to punk rock, basically every division of rock. Hell, I listen to orchestral stuff too. Think of The Strokes and you've got an idea of my sort of modern band. Think of Muse and you have an idea of the sort of modern band I hate.

Additionally I play electric guitar and lots of the music I listen to is centered around guitar in one way or another, and he isn't exactly a virtuoso guitarist...

Plus I'm straight so naturally I don't find him attractive.
i love them personaly! i dont know why people hate them either :L
I've noticed this,and I'm not sure why exactly,some friends of mine have said they don't like Nickleback as their music is a bit repetitive and at times cliched. Yes,the songs about girls,drinking and sex can get a it repetitive but sometimes thats just what I want to listen to.However I am a fan,especially of their earlier albums like Silver Side Up,(although I do really like Here and Now album) Chad kroegers voice has a brilliant..earthy gravelly quality,which fits perfectly with the ballsy rock music they play,they have that to my mind,classic hard rock sound.

In fact,I've pulled this up and currently enjoying this gem of an album:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3sKzWBxPQA

:biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by jonnyb123
Don't like them really, and I have a very broad music taste. His voice doesn't do anything for me. Additionally their songs just feel a little...I'm not sure...maybe oppressive :s-smilie:? Certainly don't induce any emotion in me. In in my mind, that makes them bad. I like everything from jazz to metal to hip-hop to house to dnb to classic rock and prog rock to modern rock, alternative (indie as some people call it) to blues to J-pop and J-rock to punk rock, basically every division of rock. Hell, I listen to orchestral stuff too. Think of The Strokes and you've got an idea of my sort of modern band. Think of Muse and you have an idea of the sort of modern band I hate.

Additionally I play electric guitar and lots of the music I listen to is centered around guitar in one way or another, and he isn't exactly a virtuoso guitarist...

Plus I'm straight so naturally I don't find him attractive.

Genuinely admire you for your comeback. I'm not going to force my opinion onto you, yet I feel as though you think that this band is the only band I like and that is that. It's wrong.
You mentioned The Strokes, these are amazing also, most listened to on my iTunes. Muse are awful, he is a whiney singer who personally I feel has no talent whatsoever, his music sounds the same. Again though, you will probably say the same about Nickelback, I don't know what it is, I suppose I could call it my 'guilty pleasure' ... just something about them I love. Probably their basic lyrics that are easy to sing a long to, even something basic like that, however, also my fan girl obsession over Chad Kroeger himself :smile:
Original post by nicatre
The heavy music fans dislike them because they write more pop-ish songs, the pop fans dislike them because they write heavy songs.

This.

Too much "pop" for the rock fans - too much "rock" for the pop fans.

This leaves their fan-base as... early-teens who haven't discovered their musical taste yet. Kids who will see a band like this on MTV and think "Oooooh turns out I like that sort of sound!!" --- and then they discover better rock bands.

Quick Reply

Latest