The Student Room Group
Reply 1
If you're using phrases such as "2go", "startd2", "2no", "2get" and "enuff", then you're either too young for University, or you don't have enough about you to get in anywhere. I mean, come on! You managed to spell necessary ok!

:p: :wink:
Well, at least he shows an affinity for the number 2 :wink:

Anyway, if you are considering maths at University after a gap year, why wouldn't you want to do further maths during it. You'll have to keep your brain mathematically active anyway.
Reply 3
Anyway, if you are considering maths at University after a gap year, why wouldn't you want to do further maths during it. You'll have to keep your brain mathematically active anyway.

Well some people do have very full gap years, leaving little time for additional exams. Personally I would look over the further pure modules, but wouldn't bother sitting exams. I think it's only Cambridge who demand further maths (and that's only to AS). Compared to the other people I know going to do/doing Maths degrees I'm fairly dense, but I still got offers from universities with good maths reputations.
Reply 4
KAISER_MOLE
Well, at least he shows an affinity for the number 2 :wink:

And the number 2 is indeed a mighty number.

There is nowhere which actually DEMANDS further maths. That just isn't fair, but Cambridge does say that most students have further maths and that you will have to be very motivated to cope without having done it. It's almost like, although they can't actually demand it, they won't consider you in a separate league just because you haven't got it.
Reply 5
Spenceman_

There is nowhere which actually DEMANDS further maths. That just isn't fair, but Cambridge does say that most students have further maths and that you will have to be very motivated to cope without having done it. It's almost like, although they can't actually demand it, they won't consider you in a separate league just because you haven't got it.

Cambridge requires AS Further Maths, for people applying for 2007 entry onwards in Maths - and, in fact, Christ's require it to A2.
Reply 6
Rocky27
Im an a2 student about 2go on my gap year, and i had never really given maths at uni much thought. But recently ive startd2 considering it and i just wanted 2no wether further maths is needed (i no sum unis say its necessary). Im pretty good at maths and am on course 2get an a but im still not sure wether im clever enuff 4 it really... Plz help.

if you are on a track to a good grade and most importantly if you actually enjoy maths then i dont see why you should have concerns whether you are capable to do it at uni!i mean some univesities within top 30 may even accept a B in maths alevel.
im doing further maths and only 2 out of 6 universities mentioned the grade requirements for it. just make sure your PS stands out and explains well why you would like to do maths!
also make sure that you are actually serious about it!
good luck!:smile:

Latest