The Student Room Group

A level exams - good revision technique?

I have 9 exams in may/june 2013 consisting of four biology exams, 3 maths, 2 economics.

I am planning to revise 4 to 5 hours a day starting from tomorrow. For biology i received a very low C in AS. I am hoping to now revise from the big ocr textbook rather than the CGP i was using before. Do you think it is possible to revise the whole AS and A2 biology book in 3 months while revising for other exams. I really need an A for biology.

For maths i received a grade D in AS. I'm resiting maths AS again. My revesion technique before was watching vids on exam solutions and attempting past papers. This time around i am planning to complete some exercises from the book and complete all the solomon press worksheets available before attempting the papers.

Do you think this is a good plan? if not what is lacking?. I am also unsure on how to manage my time evenly in all my three subjects to gain the best grade possible. For example should i spend 1.30mins on each subject a day.

Thank you
Reply 1
Original post by mhassan
I have 9 exams in may/june 2013 consisting of four biology exams, 3 maths, 2 economics.

I am planning to revise 4 to 5 hours a day starting from tomorrow. For biology i received a very low C in AS. I am hoping to now revise from the big ocr textbook rather than the CGP i was using before. Do you think it is possible to revise the whole AS and A2 biology book in 3 months while revising for other exams. I really need an A for biology.

For maths i received a grade D in AS. I'm resiting maths AS again. My revesion technique before was watching vids on exam solutions and attempting past papers. This time around i am planning to complete some exercises from the book and complete all the solomon press worksheets available before attempting the papers.

Do you think this is a good plan? if not what is lacking?. I am also unsure on how to manage my time evenly in all my three subjects to gain the best grade possible. For example should i spend 1.30mins on each subject a day.

Thank you

I had 9 exams last june so i understand your situation!
For sciences i learnt the spec back to front!
I would advise this as the board cant ask anything that is not in their spec. Do all the past papers as well to help gain experience

For maths i used exam solutions, and it worked. I do further maths as well and its even good for that.

Im sure for economics u can use the spec and do past papers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by mhassan

Thank you

My short-term revision consists of doing a past paper every day for a week or two in the run up to the exam (just long enough to get them all done), watching Khan Academy videos instead of TV, and working through any and all supplementary material provided by my teachers. It basically removes any concept of a social life for a couple of weeks, but it works :tongue:

In the longer-term, the wall above my desk is covered in post-it notes about things I sometimes have difficulty remembering, and I use pretty flashcards on the bus to college to help me memorise stuff.

Post-its and flashcards are seriously awesome. I only started it this year, but I'm already amazed not everybody does it.

I also have a pencilcase full of different-coloured gel pens (which gets me teased sometimes, but I don't care), which I use to make pretty summary notes of each topic. I usually do multiple sets of summary notes, each becoming shorter and focusing more on the things I have trouble with and less on the things I know well.

Different things work for different people, but some of that stuff may be useful to you. Obviously, things like past papers are pretty much universal, so you should probably do those :tongue:

Also, listen to the same (preferably short-ish) playlist over and over again while you revise. It probably actually does nothing useful whatsoever, but I'm convinced it helps :tongue:
Reply 3
hello.good luck and hope this time it will be better...

for your as maths i suggest you check out this site where they teach fully and byb chapters...it has videos and step by step teaching...

http://www.themathscentre.com/cambridge-cie-as-and-a2-mathematics/

start your revision and learning early.... that way you have enough time to relearn ....and good luck....:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest