The Student Room Group

Contract Law moot - Consideration

Hey,
I've got a contract law moot coming up at theend of the month, and was wondering if i could get some help please - mainly interms of cases to use aside from the parent case - willaims v roffery bros.

I am the lead appellant for the case, arguing:'the claimant had provided sufficient consideration for the promise of thedefendant for the additional £10,000'.

The case:
Mr Diego has owned and managed Newcraft BuildingCo Ltd (NBC) for the past 10 years and has won the tender to build 50medium-sized new affordable homes using timber frame method in Snottingham forPedling Borough Council (PBC). As part of a government scheme initiated in thesummer on 2011, NBC would be entitiled to a cash incentive of half £500, 000upon the completion of the 50 medium-sized new affordable homes.

A contract for completion of the fifty flats wasfinalised between NBC and PBC on the 1st of August 2011 for the sum of£100,000. A condition of the contract was that the whole job was to becompleted within twelve months of the commencement date of the contract.

On the 5th August 2011 NBC launchedenthusiastically into the building project ensuring that the whole job would becompleted successfully on time and well before the contract deadline. After 4months all the foundations together with the main shell had been substantiallycompleted. The next main job was the plumbing work.

NBC knew a plumbing company Leakfree Co Ltd(LCL) and offered them a contract (sub-contract) to complete all the plumbingwork for the 50 flats. Both NBC and LCL agreed that the plumbing work should becompleted within 3 months of starting the work.

Atfer a few weeks NBC became concerned when itbecame very lear that LCL would not be able to complete the plumbing work ontime. In view of this NBC decided to offer LCL an additional £10,000. A fewweeks after the promise of the additional £10,000 LCL completed the plumbingwork on all of the 50 flats. NBC have now refused to pay LCL the additional £10,000.

LCL took legal action in respect of the nonpayment of the additional £10,000.

I just want to make certain that myunderstanding is correct, as I missed the consideration lectures due to beingdown with the flu. But i do understand that I have to address consideration asthe main aspect of the appeal and use the judgements from williams v roffey.

thank you for any commentary/help in advance.
Reply 1
I can help you if you want. Please, give me an e-mail address, so I can write to you, rather than posting in here, where everybody can see it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending