The Student Room Group

MSc Imperial Computing Science Interview

Hi there,

I am applying for a MSc in Computing Science at Imperial, and recently got an interview. I was wondering if anyone here has applied for the same/similar course, so can advise how to prepare for the interview.

Note: This is for the MSc in Computing Science, not Advanced Computing. My BSc was in Economics, so I am looking for a conversion course.

Your advise is much appreciated.

Many thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I also have an interview for the same course. I don't even know what they are going to ask... I very much appreciate if anyone can help...
Reply 2
Hey guys,

How were your interviews? I've just been offered an interview for the same course (MSc Comp Sciences, the conversion course). Any heads up on what to expect at the interview? Would be much appreciated!

Cheers
Hi, I'm in the same position one year on from you guys...do you have any tips and hints? thanks!!!
Reply 4
Hey Londoncakelover,

Good luck with your interview. Someone pm'd me last year asking how I'd got on with my interview. Here's my reply:

Hey dude

Did you apply for the conversion course or the advanced one? I applied for the conversion. The interview was quite informal, quite chatty. I was interviewed by Prof Reuben Rowe. Really nice chap. He asked me some general questions - why imperial? why computer science? etc. He also asked me lots of questions about my undergrad degree. I'd done a little bit of programming at uni so he asked a few questions about that. That's about it, as far as I can remember. It lasted about 20-30 mins and he offered me a place then and there =]

I had some answers prepared for all the general questions. And the rest was just talking about my degree. It was a very relaxed interview. No math or logic questions!

Good luck! When is your interview? Let me know how you get on, we may end up being class mates!

Cheers
Thanks for your help! I had the interview earlier this week and as you said, it was just a friendly chat about why i did my undergrad (Economics), my current job and the online coding courses i had done and wrote about in my personal statement. Then i had the opportunity to ask some questions about the course and i was offered a place at the end too! How are you finding the course?
Reply 6
Original post by londoncakelover
Thanks for your help! I had the interview earlier this week and as you said, it was just a friendly chat about why i did my undergrad (Economics), my current job and the online coding courses i had done and wrote about in my personal statement. Then i had the opportunity to ask some questions about the course and i was offered a place at the end too! How are you finding the course?

Hi - just out of interest, when did you apply? I'm a bit anxious waiting for my response :smile:

Also, my background is in Economics as well, can I ask what's your predicted grade and which university do you go to? Sorry for asking too many questions, I'm just trying to guess what my chances are :smile:

Thanks!
Reply 7
Londoncakelover - no problem and congratulations on getting a place on the course. Who interviewed you? A word of warning, it is very tough and fast paced! I suggest you do as much studying as you can before you start, my only regret is not having done more before starting.
BeritV - I applied in January and didn't hear anything til the end of April, my interview was in mid May. I wouldn't be too concerned just yet if I were you.

Best of luck to you both
Original post by KampungKid
Londoncakelover - no problem and congratulations on getting a place on the course. Who interviewed you? A word of warning, it is very tough and fast paced! I suggest you do as much studying as you can before you start, my only regret is not having done more before starting.
BeritV - I applied in January and didn't hear anything til the end of April, my interview was in mid May. I wouldn't be too concerned just yet if I were you.

Best of luck to you both

What did you get for your undergrad degree? I currently aiming for a 1st in my Mech Eng degree (second year), do you recommend on applying straight after finishing my undergrad or wait until i get some experience in the real world. I intend on doing a lot of HTML and Ruby in the summer to improve my skills, what language is most useful for this MSc (Imperial).

I would really appreciate it if you could answer my questions
Hi there BeritV! I did economics at cambridge and got a first, but that was 7 years ago!!! I applied towards end of jan, they didnt really look at applications til Feb and had an interview in early March....they dont interview everyone though. Good luck with your application!

Kampungkid - what pre course studying do you recommend? I was interviewed by Dr Rowe and he suggested looking at the C++ textbook from the course, but the authors website says that its not suitable for people with no programming experience...have you enjoyed the course? Also im looking to get a new laptop....any thoughts on which of windows/linux/mac are more compatible with the course? Would love to hear your other tips and advice!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
Hi cakelover. I assume the book that Dr Rowe suggested is 'Problem Solving with C++' by Savitch? It's a great book for beginners and I would highly recommend you try and go through the whole book and do most of the exercises. This will give you a much needed head start and will make your first term far less stressful! I only managed half of the book before the course started and I regretted not having done more. It's quite expensive but look around for an older version (6th or 7th edition), i got mine for £20 off amazon. You might also look in to logic programming, specifically with Prolog. You will be taught from scratch at the beginning of the course but it will be much easier for you if you have some experience with both languages.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
I just got invited for an interview which will happen at the end of April - does anyone have some more tips about it? I'm freaking out a bit not knowing what I should prepare for :smile:
It's pretty strange that they do interviews for MSc CS but not MSc AC! I got accepted without an interview, and don't know anyone that got an interview. My first degree was also unrelated (electrical engineering), but I have substantial programming experience, so I applied for AC.
Hello everyone!
I had an interview on February 24th and got accepted right after too. Was also interviewed by Dr Rowe, nice guy! A bit nerve-wracking, but it went well. Have to say thank you KampungKid, your tips helped me out!
For anyone wanting tips, the questions I was asked were: (etc. being general follow up questions along the same line in response to my answers)
Tell me about your degree, what was it like, did you enjoy it etc.
Tell me about your programming experience etc.
Tell me about your current job etc. (I finished Uni in 2013 and have been on a gap year, so potentially that was why he asked)
And lastly he asked if I had the experience in coding back when applying for Unis that I have now, would I have applied for Computing?
Thanks for the recommendation KampungKid. Dr Rowe told me to make sure to do some preliminary study in C++ but, IIRC, didn't give a book recommendation. I think it may have been because I had already started a little of C++ and he told me to carry on with it. Problem is, the book I had was by Herbert Schildt which I have now heard loads of bad things about! So I bought a new book, C++ primer, which is highly recommended. My household has been a bit busy as of late as we're getting work done, so haven't had much of a chance to crack into it. However, I should have plenty of time, I hope! I'm only working on a casual basis so I'm free a lot of the time. But I will definitely give that book a look in to as well and hopefully get through both of them! Is there a book you could recommend for logic programming?

Also, KampungKid, I was wondering what optional modules you picked and how you felt they went. How difficult they were, the exam, how well taught, the lecturer, etc. Thanks!! Hope your course is going well and hope you get the grades you want!

P.S. LondonCakeLover, see you in October! =D
Hey guys, I'm joining the Msc Computing (Conversion) class this fall. How do you prepare for the program and do you already have heard of guys that finished the program successfully - and what they think about it?
Hey guys how have you found the first few months?
Hello. I am about to take Msc of computing science this fall and can I ask how is this course I mean is it useful or not cause I see very bad comments on this course.
Original post by JOHNZINVALID
Hello. I am about to take Msc of computing science this fall and can I ask how is this course I mean is it useful or not cause I see very bad comments on this course.

where are you seeing these bad comments?
Reply 19
Hi there,

If you got in, did you send in your GRE results as part of the application?
If yes, what were your scores?

Cheers

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending