The Student Room Group

what A levels should I take to study Law?

hi,
so basically I'm wondering what subjects i should take for my A levels, i want to study law in uni and was wondering if taking:
history, english literature, politics and economics or sociology
are these any good?? and should i take economics or sociology?
answers would be much appreciated:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ayshac94
hi,
so basically I'm wondering what subjects i should take for my A levels, i want to study law in uni and was wondering if taking:

They're good choices. Between the remaining two I'd be more likely to pick Economics, but it's up to you. Law degree are likely to regard the other three as being good preparation, so I don't think it would make much difference if you chose Economics or Sociology. But I'm in the same situation as you; trying to choose between those two subjects!
Reply 2
hi,

Your first three subjects are absolutely ideal for Law. However, with regard to the latter subject, I'd go for Economics. It shows that you're more well-rounded academically and not just talented in discursive subjects.

Good luck :biggrin:
Reply 3
hi,

Another vote for economics.

I've got offers for law and I'm doing english literature, politics and economics, so they are definitely fine :smile:
They're good choices but economics would be better than sociology although it probably doesn't matter too much.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
I would perhaps pick English Language over English Literature. It's my own opinion but I think it would display greater knowledge in regards to draftmanship and maybe even some Law sub-topics, like Statutory Interpretation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
I'd stick with English Literature (apparently it's got a better reputation than English language, and still involves a lot of textual analysis), and take economics rather than sociology.
Reply 7
Just don't do law a level if you wan't study law at a decent uni.
Reply 8
Original post by Mister Ben
I would perhaps pick English Language over English Literature. It's my own opinion but I think it would display greater knowledge in regards to draftmanship and maybe even some Law sub-topics, like Statutory Interpretation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not sure about that - English literature is almost certainly better for law.
Reply 9
thankyou everyone! i'll be taking economics then:smile:
Original post by ollyfriend
Just don't do law a level if you wan't study law at a decent uni.

I did Law A-level, now I'm doing it at Cambridge. Just sayin'
Is my subject combination, English lit/Lang, RS, french and economics fine for law?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 12
not sure about rs but the rest seem fine:smile:
Original post by elizanissim
Is my subject combination, English lit/Lang, RS, french and economics fine for law?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Yes this should be fine as long as RS is the one you drop before A2 and not any of the others. :smile:
hi,

Definitely economics it's much better respected by unis and much more relevant to law! :smile:

edit: why the neg?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 15
hey guys, i posted again because the sixth form i'm applying to doesn't do economics so will sociology be fine? and which subject should i drop? politics or sociology? ALSO I don't really feel comfortable with taking 2 'soft' subjects so what if i had a science subject like chemistry instead of sociology?:confused:
thankyou!
Reply 16
hey guys, i posted again because the sixth form i'm applying to doesn't do economics so will sociology be fine? and which subject should i drop? politics or sociology? ALSO I don't really feel comfortable with taking 2 'soft' subjects so what if i had a science subject like chemistry instead of sociology?:confused:
thankyou!

Don't do chemistry if you don't like it, or if you don't think you can get a good grade in it. Better to do a 'soft' a level (sociology and politics are two of the 'better' soft subjects to take anyway) and get an A than get a not-so-good grade in a more traditional subject. If you like chem and think you can handle it, then do it - if not, stick with sociology :smile: (someone from my school applied to do law after getting As sociology, politics and two other traditional subjects at AS and they got all five offers, including an unconditional from a Russel group uni so I don't think it would be a problem as long as you get good grades in all of them :smile: )
Reply 17
Original post by ambbs
Don't do chemistry if you don't like it, or if you don't think you can get a good grade in it. Better to do a 'soft' a level (sociology and politics are two of the 'better' soft subjects to take anyway) and get an A than get a not-so-good grade in a more traditional subject. If you like chem and think you can handle it, then do it - if not, stick with sociology :smile: (someone from my school applied to do law after getting As sociology, politics and two other traditional subjects at AS and they got all five offers, including an unconditional from a Russel group uni so I don't think it would be a problem as long as you get good grades in all of them :smile: )

i do enjoy chemistry and i get good grades (a/b) and thankyou very much :smile:
I'd say English Language, History and Ethics and Philosophy are some of the top ones to take a look at, sometimes they don't want you do have actually studied law at A-Levels so you're more of a 'clean slate' but you should have a look at universities and what they ask for. Even though it seems early they usually have a few subjects that they like to see you take.

And I know some of the subjects weren't on the list but I hope it helps!
Reply 19
i do enjoy chemistry and i get good grades (a/b) and thankyou very much :smile:

I'd take it then! It's well respected and will look great if you get a good grade in it, since it will show you're well rounded because you're good at science subjects as well as essay ones :smile: for law, all you really need is good grades in well respected subjects :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest