The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hmmmm you play Fifa 'Now and again' and consider yourself a gamer? That's a... generous definition.

Were you playing with your boyfriend? If so, he definitely let you win I'm afraid. :sadnod:

I think that girl gamers are fine when they don't act like they're something special because of their gender. It's a bit random when they bring it into everything, and you start to wonder if they have a chip on their shoulder/something messed up with them. It's really not that uncommon, and I would judge an actual girl gamer based on what she knew/liked about video games rather than based on some weird dichotomy.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 41
Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
Hmmmm you play Fifa 'Now and again' and consider yourself a gamer? That's a... generous definition.

Were you playing with your boyfriend? If so, he definitely let you win I'm afraid. :sadnod:

I think that girl gamers are fine when they don't act like they're something special because of their gender. It's a bit random when they bring it into everything, and you start to wonder if they have a chip on their shoulder/something messed up with them. It's really not that uncommon, and I would judge an actual girl gamer based on what she knew/liked about video games rather than based on some weird dichotomy.

Yeah as I said before I didn't want give you a list of games/how often I play them but I really enjoy quite a few and could happily live on Fifa, Skyrim, Halo etc. And no I wasn't, I was just curious because a lot of guys I know seem to be surprised that I play.
Reply 42
Original post by Lizzie232

If you're going to scream OMG IM A GIRL GAMURRRRRR and have have your name as sweetgirlpwnz1337, and constantly attention whore and act like you're the gift from god, then yes, we will hate you.

Otherwise if you just play and don't bait for attention, you'll be fine.
Yeah as I said before I didn't want give you a list of games/how often I play them but I really enjoy quite a few and could happily live on Fifa, Skyrim, Halo etc. And no I wasn't, I was just curious because a lot of guys I know seem to be surprised that I play.

Oh fair enough then :h:

I guess I'm fairly indifferent, though I do wonder if girls playing Tomb Raider get insecure... :holmes:
Reply 44
If a girl can't beat me at FIFA, they've clearly never played it before (because I haven't either).

Having a common interest is a good thing I suppose, but if they play completely different games to me, then it's not really a common interest. Then it would be no different to being both interested in watching TV, but one watches Game of Thrones, the other watches Strictly Come Dancing. You could hardly call that a common interest.
Original post by PoGo HoPz
Me being me, I'd still be most likely to go for the top girl, tbh. :hubba:

Because you're a retard that clearly never gets any girls
*visits thread* Well, this escalated quickly...

I find it quite ironic how 'gamer girls' go onto Xbox Live/ equivilent and 'boast' about how they're female. I've seen online harrassment based on gender; bad example, but one is 'pics or gtfo'. If I'm online, I keep my gender to myself because I don't particularly want my inbox flooded with those sorts of messages. It's bizarre how anyone would want that kind of attention...

Of course, I don't mean to stigmatise the online community - not all people are like that, thankfully. :smile:
Reply 47
Gaming can cause arguments. Me and my boyfriend get so competitive when we game together it's unreal. However he likes me being a gamer because he can borrow the games I buy when I'm finished and vise versa :smile: I get a lot of stick on Black Ops 2 for being a girl, and I'm not exactly the best multiplayer in the world, but I enjoy it all the same and basically tell anyone to shut the **** up if I get any grief!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Pretty cool, we had one in our cod5 clan back in 08. ahhh good times.

I added her on msn, she was hot.
Reply 49
I've just read all the posts and I've just stereotyped myself haha, I don't just play Black Ops 2, it was just an example of where I get the most abuse. I try to be as open minded as I can with different types of games (so far Far Cry 3 has impressed me the most) but I don't see anything important about you being female or not.
It doesn't affect your game play, so don't boast about being one. Girl gamers are a lot more common than what people think, so I don't see why you should announce it like you've earned some sort of achievement.
Do you actually know how annoying it can be being a gamer at times? The amount of money you spend, the time you have to wait for a game to release, the amount of time you spend on your console and if you're like me and have playstation; forever waiting on DLC's.
So...aye. Being a female gamer isn't anything special.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 50
Original post by miser
Girl gamers are hot. :^_^:

And here's some proof. She doesn't have such dorky hair in her other vids I have to say lol.

and Bhumbauze couldn't be righter. Can't really call yourself a gamer if the only stuff you play is COD, Fifa, Halo or wow type games all the time.

I really abhor the term 'girl gamer'; why does gender have to come into the equation? And why, in your opinion OP, do you need approval from (presumably) men to be a 'gamer' as a woman? As far as I'm aware, playing video games isn't preserved for those members of the population with the XY chromosome. And if you like playing video games, then your gender nor other people's opinions on the matter should prevent you from indulging in it.
'girl gamers' are universally bad. They're the sort that harp on about their gender all the ****ing time as though it makes them special. If you beat somebody 10 times in fifa it just means they're bad at fifa. To people who just want to get on with playing then they are really irritating.

gamers who happen to be female are different. The ones who make no issue of their gender, who play as an androgynous persona and don't mention that they have a vagina every five minutes, are fine, and being able to share interests with a girl is always a positive.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 53
I'm with most other people here when I say that the whole girl gamer stereotype rather annoying. A girl who goes around shouting about how much of a gamer she is is generally just looking for attention from the guys she really thinks are nerdy and geeky. You won't know a true gamer girl until she (A) agrees to play your favourite RPG with you and (B) absolutely kicks your arse! She won't make a fuss about it like the fake ones will.

As for being beaten by a girl, I'm not too proud to say that it's happened a fair few times and it really doesn't bother me. As someone who loves games and gaming it can actually be quite a turn on but that's a different story :P
Reply 54
Original post by tb350mdx
I'm with most other people here when I say that the whole girl gamer stereotype rather annoying. A girl who goes around shouting about how much of a gamer she is is generally just looking for attention from the guys she really thinks are nerdy and geeky. You won't know a true gamer girl until she (A) agrees to play your favourite RPG with you and (B) absolutely kicks your arse! She won't make a fuss about it like the fake ones will.

As for being beaten by a girl, I'm not too proud to say that it's happened a fair few times and it really doesn't bother me. As someone who loves games and gaming it can actually be quite a turn on but that's a different story :P

What's going on with the Aliens quote in your sig? Any fan knows Hudson says that line.
Reply 55
My God I feel like the biggest retard in the history of retards. I have watched Aliens more times than is humanly healthy and I never realised that :frown: You know why I thought it was Hicks? Just before that line is spoken, I thought Firmament asks Hicks what he's seeing as there's some static on the monitor. I always assumed it was Hicks replying! I honestly don't think I should be calling myself a fan after that :s-smilie: Oh well it was due a change anyway.....
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by jordanW241
I think it's cool in the sense that gaming is a common interest, but when girls act like it's their defining feature then it's kind of annoying. I'm not a 'gamer guy', I'm just a guy who likes playing games, in the same way that a girl who likes playing games isn't a 'gamer girl'. I definitely think a lot of girls make a thing of it because they love the attention it brings - particularly on the more 'nerdy' games, where, given the audience, they're likely to garner a lot of attention, aha.

To conclude: girls who play games = awesome, girls who emphasise the fact they play games = not so awesome.

+1
I love playing games with the other half :biggrin:
Amazingly she has a dark sadastic side to her that I noticed whilst she killed everything that moved in Fallout 3 :colone:
Reply 58
I'm a girl gamer though when playing I don't actually tell anyone, if they ask I tell them I'm a guy. The last time I told Someone I'm a girl on the Internet I kept getting private messages asking me to 'talk babe because I can help you with anything'. That's the point I get scary and start ranting....

I know not all guys are like that but there are those few who are just horrible and ruin it for everyone...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 59
The title asks the question really, I'm a girl who enjoys a game of Fifa now and then, and often end up beating friends by quite a margin (10-0 the last one I think, still waiting on the moonpig apology card).
What I was wondering is how people (mainly guys) would think about this, whether guys would feel embarrassed if they were beaten by a girl or whether they would be happy they could play with one? And would it make it more or less likely they would want a relationship or indifferent? Thanks :smile:

It depends, if they're the "I'm totally a gamer gurrrrl, I play Farmville, like, every day and wii is the best thing ev4r XD" then they're annoying. If they actually game then they're ok. BTW, playing Fifa "now and then" doesn't really make you a gamer either.

Latest