The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Reagan
I'm a girl gamer though when playing I don't actually tell anyone, if they ask I tell them I'm a guy.

I really wish this wasn't the case with many games, you shouldn't have to tell people you're a guy just to play in peace. I don't bother making a big thing of my gender, but it's a bit of a give-away when you are using voice chat. When guys find out I'm a girl some have responded like rabid animals "OMG BOOBS", "TITS OR GTFO", ect. Some are joking but it's stupid how many are actually being serious and think it's funny to harass me because I'm female. Like I have any less right to be on the game because I'm a girl..

The online fanbase of games like Fifa and CoD seem to be the ones (at least in my experiance) who predominantly come out with these responses, probably because they're mostly 12. It's sad to be honest. But it isn't really a problem for me since I think both of those games are crap anyway, so I don't play them! :tongue: Guys I've met on games like GW2 have been completely fine with me being female though. Interesting contrast.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 61
Original post by Einheri
It depends, if they're the "I'm totally a gamer gurrrrl, I play Farmville, like, every day and wii is the best thing ev4r XD" then they're annoying. If they actually game then they're ok. BTW, playing Fifa "now and then" doesn't really make you a gamer either.

Haha I get what you mean and don't worry, I definitely stay faar away from Farmville and the like :smile: And yeah a couple of people have mentioned the "odd game" that I put in the start of the thread so I'll reply to you the same as I have already done earlier in the post...I just wanted to get an overall feel for the opinions of people so didn't list all the games I play, nor the frequencies. I could happily live on Skyrim, Fifa, Halo and the like but I just didn't put that in the question and I probably should have
Reply 62
Original post by ~Beckie
I really wish this wasn't the case with many games, you shouldn't have to tell people you're a guy just to play in peace. I don't bother making a big thing of my gender, but it's a bit of a give-away when you are using voice chat. When guys find out I'm a girl some have responded like rabid animals "OMG BOOBS", "TITS OR GTFO", ect. Some are joking but it's stupid how many are actually being serious and think it's funny to harass me because I'm female. Like I have any less right to be on the game because I'm a girl..

I'm alright when using voice chat because my voice is quite deep. I don't really have problems with 12 year olds I have more problem with older players that are my age or even older... Mind you I always play assassins creed...
Why would I care what gender you are, if you're playing an online game, and you are on the other team, you are my target, cock or not.
Reply 64
Original post by Reagan
I'm alright when using voice chat because my voice is quite deep. I don't really have problems with 12 year olds I have more problem with older players that are my age or even older... Mind you I always play assassins creed...

Most of the older players I meet are perfectly fine with me being female, weird.:s-smilie:

Original post by Lizzie232
I just wanted to get an overall feel for the opinions of people so didn't list all the games I play, nor the frequencies. I could happily live on Skyrim, Fifa, Halo and the like but I just didn't put that in the question and I probably should have

I guess you can tell from the responses that everyone is fine with a girl gaming so long as they don't use it as a pedestal to get more attention. I'd like to have more female friends who enjoy games, I don't have any in real life which is kind of a shame. :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by ~Beckie
Most of the older players I meet are perfectly fine with me being female, weird. :s-smilie:

I'm 18 and I have no issues with girl gamers.

What games are you into?
Reply 66
Original post by James A
I'm 18 and I have no issues with girl gamers.

What games are you into?

Well that's nice to know. :tongue: RPG games mostly, Fallout 3 and New Vegas, Elder Scrolls, Red Dead Redemption, Mass Effect. Then I also like games like Portal, DayZ, Minecraft, Dead Island, Deus Ex.. I generally will just give most games a try to see if I like them rather than sticking to certain genres. :smile: A good storyline is a must have for me (if it isn't a sandbox game, obviously).
Original post by ~Beckie
Well that's nice to know. :tongue: RPG games mostly, Fallout 3 and New Vegas, Elder Scrolls, Red Dead Redemption, Mass Effect. Then I also like games like Portal, DayZ, Minecraft, Dead Island, Deus Ex.. I generally will just give most games a try to see if I like them rather than sticking to certain genres. :smile: A good storyline is a must have for me (if it isn't a sandbox game, obviously).

Sweet, I'm more of a racer haha, I've come across girls on gran turismo 5 who are bloody quick, I have to push my car to the limits to keep ahead of them haha
Reply 68
Nothing against girl gamers - s'all good.

Got an issue with the plethora of guys who fawn around them though.
Nothing worse than getting into a game, everyone's on skype and half the guys in the call are attention seeking and sucking up to her :erm:

S'ok lads, I'm only here to play :sly:
Reply 69
Original post by ~Beckie

I love Skyrim and minecraft both games are brilliant because it basically a do what you want not really follow that much of a plot. I'd rather spend my time repeatedly lock picking, thieving and kicking £&@ than helping no existent people better there lives...
Reply 70
Original post by ~Beckie

DayZ and Minecraft?

If you're PC gaming, get on LoL :yep:
I went on voice chat once, just to see what it was like. The people were having a conversation and I randomly joined and they didn't harass me (they weren't even like OMG UR A GURL save this one kid... but he didn't bother me about it lol). Faith in humanity restored. :smile:

But, I mean, if you go on voice chat, publically announce that you're a girl and keep on at it, then yeah, you're bound to get loads of negative attention. I agree with Beckie - you shouldn't have to say you're a guy to play in peace!
just reading this makes me wanna jump on black ops 2 and wack out that v-sat real talk...smithyinthehouse... add me on ps3 i run it. #notevenjoking
Reply 73
Original post by geminibynature
I went on voice chat once, just to see what it was like. The people were having a conversation and I randomly joined and they didn't harass me (they weren't even like OMG UR A GURL save this one kid... but he didn't bother me about it lol). Faith in humanity restored. :smile:

But, I mean, if you go on voice chat, publically announce that you're a girl and keep on at it, then yeah, you're bound to get loads of negative attention. I agree with Beckie - you shouldn't have to say you're a guy to play in peace!

Then i'm just seriously unlucky...
Reply 74
Original post by madders94
Play things like GTA, Fifa, Spyro (I'm an old-school kind of girl, I could spend all day in the skate park on Year Of The Dragon), Burnout, Just Cause, Kingdom Hearts, Lego Star Wars (and Battlefront 2, even if I always get Bantha Fodder :colone: ), and say we're geeks and nerds.

Reading that list and seeing Spyro, that was the first game (Can't remember which one) I ever owned on a 'console' (not including PC), ahh the memories, wish I could play it now, only I am in Australia and my DS and GBA are in England :'( Ah the good old days of the GBA and using the clip on screen light as it wasn't backlit. Never was a fan of Burnout, Need for Speed was much better. Kingdom Hearts was amazing as is GTA and Just Cause.

My opinion on girl gamers, I don't mind what they do in their time, if they want to play games then we have things in common, if they don't I don't mind, it's their life. Sexism about girl gamers I think is unfair there is no reason why they can't be as good as or better than us guys and I wouldn't be ashamed or embarrassed to lose to a girl, after all it is meant to be fun not a show of who is better.
Reply 75
I really don't have an opinion about girl gamers.

Just so long as you don't open the conversation with "Yerh I'm a girl, so don't hit on me silly boys :wink:" you'll get treated the same as anyone else.
Reply 76
Original post by Kat12395
I'd be happy to be married to Brynjolf (Skryim) and have done with it! ...If Bethesda would let me:-(

I was so disappointed when I discovered I could not marry Brynjolf :frown:
Reply 77
In my house my Sisters and my Mother played games competitively with me since we were first able to (3 yrs old). Losing to girls isn't something i do but when it happens it doesn't phase me in the slightest purely because i gotten used to losing to my Sisters and Mother on the rare occasion back in the day.
Reply 78
Skyrim was alright. Oblivion was way better.
Reply 79
Original post by malikshake
Skyrim was alright. Oblivion was way better.

I take it you haven't played Morrowind then.

Latest