The Student Room Group

University applications down for 2013 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hannah60000
Far enough, if that is your position. However, my point is that much is dependent on the individuals, as well as the degree. After all there are those who embarked on a humanities or arts degree and have made successful careers in Law, Accountancy, ect. Of course after further study and so on. I am aware most of these individuals come from the very best universities and far fewer from the not so favorable unis in the eyes of society.

So my argument is not merely about transferable skills, I was not so much referring to this, I was talking about it how you use degree rather than the degree itself, for some degrees a career path is well laid out , so the skills you learn will be obviously more useful. However, I think the problem is individuals that do not have a clue what they want to do then apply for graduate schemes hoping to get something based of transferable skills alone a vast majority of these happen to be your typical arts or humanities grads, then again I think it is down to the individual.

Also we cannot all do Sciences, law and the other vocational degrees based on practical senses or space for courses ect.

But it is a numbers game. We say there is a surfeit of law graduates because we compare the number to the number of training places. We say there is a shortage of doctors because we compare the numbers of training places with available vacancies.

General arts graduates delight in saying that a huge proportion of graduate scheme vacancies are open to them. What they never say, is how many graduate scheme vacancies there are, and how many arts (and science and social science) grads are chasing those vacancies.
Good.

We've been hugely oversupplied with graduates (from most disciplines) for years.
Reply 22
Have the latest after deadline figures come out yet, I'm not sure. Even if there is another dip in applications nothing will change. They will just say oh well the sector is adjusting and it takes time plus our proposals are fairer etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending