The Student Room Group

Nursing

I'm currently studying my AS levels, and am possibly looking at a career in nursing. I have always wanted to do something truly worthwhile, and actually help people while earning a semi-acceptable salary. The trouble is, I'm not sure as to how I will get into university, I'm currently studying History, Economics, Psychology and Media, which I know are not science based. I'm just wondering how important science at A-level is, to get into a course in nursing? Also, is it possible to do work experience, possibly shadowing a nurse, or something of the sort while studying A-levels?
Reply 1
A lot unis, particularly the higher ranked ones, will require a science, and biology is usually preferred. However, not all do, and psychology is considered a science.

It is possible to get related work experience, and most unis actually require that you have some experience in caring before starting a nursing degree. It is very hard to get experience in a hospital (it took me 3 years of pestering to get a week on a ward!) but you can still gain valuable experience volunteering at a care home, hospice, community group etc.
Reply 2
You can always take your Nursing degree overseas if you want. The money for Nurses is better in the US and Canada, just as long as you have a little bit of experience. Do what you need to do to get into Nursing, and as long as you work hard at it, you should be able to have a degree and work experience by the time you are done.

If you need more help with nursing requirements and salaries, you can go here: www.nursing-works.com/salary.html which has a huge list of nursing salaries and schools.

Good luck! :smile:
Original post by glelin96
I'm currently studying my AS levels, and am possibly looking at a career in nursing. I have always wanted to do something truly worthwhile, and actually help people while earning a semi-acceptable salary. The trouble is, I'm not sure as to how I will get into university, I'm currently studying History, Economics, Psychology and Media, which I know are not science based. I'm just wondering how important science at A-level is, to get into a course in nursing? Also, is it possible to do work experience, possibly shadowing a nurse, or something of the sort while studying A-levels?

Science at A Level is considered to be vital by some universities. It's a good idea to look at universities you want to go to, and email them to ask if it is worth you applying with the subjects you have. If you're doubtful, there's no harm in applying anyway (all you'll lose is your UCAS fee).

If you're unsuccessful, you can do an Access to Nursing course which usually takes 1 year, then reapply that year.

Whenever you apply, you will need some work experience. Contact local hospitals and health centres to see if you can get a few days shadowing a nurse. Any family/friends you know who are nurses could help with this. Also ask your careers advisors whether they can help you to arrange it. You can also volunteer in care homes, hospices, hospitals, homeless shelters which will demonstrate you are caring and interested in the field. You should try and get as much experience as you can.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending