The Student Room Group
Robotics at Plymouth University
University of Plymouth
Plymouth
Visit website

Plymouth University General Help and Advice

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and need quite a bit of advice, some of which I may not be searching in the right place for but fingers crossed.

Basically I have been offered a place at Plymouth University studying Extended Science (with year 0) and am most likely to take it, I'd like to hear from anybody who has studied it here or is currently studying it. I'd like to know what they think of the course pros/cons, and the uni as a whole.

I'd like to know any info on halls people have as well? I'm looking for halls with an en suite, 5 or 6 people to a flat and fairly modern. Alexandra Works looks pretty sweet. Anybody got anything to say about it?

I would also like some reviews if the nightlife aha. I'm not really into big clubs where you can't hear yourself think but more into smaller bars with character.

I am a skateboarder from Oxford area and would like to hear from any skateboarders at Plymouth University if there are any! I'd just like to know what the skate scenes like in general. Spots/parks/independent shops, etc.

Probably asking a bit much but thanks in advance to anyone who even reads the post haha!

Alex.
Reply 1
hi

i started this uni in sept 2012. im in faculty of arts so i dont know anything about science department sorry, but i can help you with other stuff.
halls are good, but ensuites are quite expensive for what you get. im in robbins paying about 90 pounds a week for a shared bathroom which isnt that bad cos you get your own sink in your room and the shower and toilet are in 2 seperate rooms. its also cleaned twice a week. however alot of my friends are in francis drake sharing with 7 others paying 120 pounds and their cleaners barely clean anything. but francis drake halls are very nice halls, theyre the newer ones :smile: alexandra works is about a twenty minute walk from the uni, and apparantly at the end of a big hill, whereas francis drake and mary newman are on campus, and robbins, gilwell(dont go there) radnor and pilgrim are across the road from uni less than 5 minute walk. all the accomodation is ensuite except robbins and gilwell. but i think you can get ensuite rooms in robbins too, but its mainly shared bathrooms. what i will say about halls, particuarly francis drake is that youre often treated like children, the resident assistants come in at 11pm to tell you to be quiet. and fire alarms will drive you crazy, just a warning. but its all good fun :biggrin:

plymouth has got oceana, c103, varsity and revolution which are further out of the way (but still walking distance) which are like clubby clubs, but on north hill theres a strip of bars. theres cuba and bangbang which are kinda like barry clubby things, then smaller bars around. i personally really like the plymouth nightlife and have an awesome time :smile: north hill is literally opposite the uni.

i dont know much about skating. but some people on my course are into skateboarding and longboarding, i know they go down to the hoe, but theres also a skatepark about a 10/15 min walk away in central park.

hope this helps :smile:
Robotics at Plymouth University
University of Plymouth
Plymouth
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by lauren_702
hi

i started this uni in sept 2012. im in faculty of arts so i dont know anything about science department sorry, but i can help you with other stuff.
halls are good, but ensuites are quite expensive for what you get. im in robbins paying about 90 pounds a week for a shared bathroom which isnt that bad cos you get your own sink in your room and the shower and toilet are in 2 seperate rooms. its also cleaned twice a week. however alot of my friends are in francis drake sharing with 7 others paying 120 pounds and their cleaners barely clean anything. but francis drake halls are very nice halls, theyre the newer ones :smile: alexandra works is about a twenty minute walk from the uni, and apparantly at the end of a big hill, whereas francis drake and mary newman are on campus, and robbins, gilwell(dont go there) radnor and pilgrim are across the road from uni less than 5 minute walk. all the accomodation is ensuite except robbins and gilwell. but i think you can get ensuite rooms in robbins too, but its mainly shared bathrooms. what i will say about halls, particuarly francis drake is that youre often treated like children, the resident assistants come in at 11pm to tell you to be quiet. and fire alarms will drive you crazy, just a warning. but its all good fun :biggrin:

plymouth has got oceana, c103, varsity and revolution which are further out of the way (but still walking distance) which are like clubby clubs, but on north hill theres a strip of bars. theres cuba and bangbang which are kinda like barry clubby things, then smaller bars around. i personally really like the plymouth nightlife and have an awesome time :smile: north hill is literally opposite the uni.

i dont know much about skating. but some people on my course are into skateboarding and longboarding, i know they go down to the hoe, but theres also a skatepark about a 10/15 min walk away in central park.

Omg! Thank you so much!! I've been searching for a thread like this for 3 days!!

I'm thinking about transferring to Plymouth but I'm a bit scared plus I never visited the city and I don't know much general knowledge as most British people would because I'm Portuguese. Thank you so much for your insight.

So because I couldn't share a bathroom, how much would I be looking at to choose an en-suite on campus?
Reply 3
Original post by katyness
Omg! Thank you so much!! I've been searching for a thread like this for 3 days!!

I'm thinking about transferring to Plymouth but I'm a bit scared plus I never visited the city and I don't know much general knowledge as most British people would because I'm Portuguese. Thank you so much for your insight.

So because I couldn't share a bathroom, how much would I be looking at to choose an en-suite on campus?

no problem, plymouth is a lovely city. im from london and compared to there, the people are friendly. its a very student orientated city. everything is in walking distance so you wont have to pay extra for buses and stuff

i think most standard ensuites are about 120 a week. i know this is how much francis drake halls are roughly :smile: i think the private halls not owned by the uni cost about the same if not more, but wherever you live, you shouldnt be more than 15/20 min walk away :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by lauren_702
hi

this is just the reply I was looking for! Money shouldn't hopefully be too much of an issue because I'm gonna work like mad and save as much money as I can before September. I like the look of Alexandra Works and Francis Drake Halls. The hill for Alexandra Works would be good exercise haha. Think I'm gonna have to mission it down for a look around to make my mind up. My girlfriend is in halls at Bristol UWE and they also treat you like a bit of a child so I was sort of expecting that.

Thanks for your help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending