Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Local election results.

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    No, Representative democracy is about electing government figures, if people choose not to have a say then it makes no difference, unlike in (say) Athenian direct democracy.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArthurOliver)
    It's not intelligent to go along with a programme which replaces the national identity and demographic with a new one - it's a very dangerous game that the wise would not play.

The pre-loading of the debate with all manner of stereotypes and moral judgements does become a little self-fulfilling though. There's a very good essay on the subject here:
    http://majorityrights.com/index.php/...nd_the_bloods/

It's a stupid person who believes everything that the major parties say. And it's a naive person who thinks that Searchlight, who have collated most of the info about the BNP that has been disseminated by the BBC and the major parties are entirely honest.
    The news items was on BBC and specifically related to Barking and Dagenham. Amongstehe accusations was one that the BNP told lies about immigrant housing etc. These lies were refuted by the officials of the Housing Dept. responsible for allocating social housing.

As far as I know, Searchlight didn't enter the equation at all. It was all about the locality's politics.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    The news items was on BBC and specifically related to Barking and Dagenham. Amongstehe accusations was one that the BNP told lies about immigrant housing etc. These lies were refuted by the officials of the Housing Dept. responsible for allocating social housing.
    Let the courts decide if there has been a case of slander/libel.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Does BNP membership bring with it tax-free charitable status?
    That's what I was wondering too. If it does, no-one told me about it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    Not wishing to appear partisan against the Tory Party, I would like to examine why some sections of society are more likely to vote BNP than others.
    Duh..... :hmmmm2:

(Original post by yawn)
    Some say the poor will more likely to gain their vote. I wonder whether it is the less intelligent that would, since they might not posess the mental capacity to be able to discern whether what is being portrayed to them as fact, actually is.

I saw on the lunchtime BBC News that in at least one constituency, mistruths were being peddled as truths. If a person is unable to exercise discernment by finding out for themselves the veracity of those mistruths, they will be more inclined to vote 'blindly'.

Just some thoughts - anybody have anything to add to them?
    No, we have the mental capacity to discern fact from fiction, thankyou very much. What people have been screaming out to you is this: "We are sick and tired of immigration and multiculturalism! Make it stop, please!".
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dani385)
    Duh..... :hmmmm2:

No, we have the mental capacity to discern fact from fiction, thankyou very much. What people have been screaming out to you is this: "We are sick and tired of immigration and multiculturalism! Make it stop, please!".
    Obvious question - are you a supporter of the BNP?

I am not screaming out to anyone "We are sick and tired of immigration and multiculturalism" because I'm not - despite living in an area where immigrants/asylum seekers are evident in huge numbers.

But then again, I was brought up in the borough of Lewisham so I have many friends from diverse cultures and colours.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)

As far as I know, Searchlight didn't enter the equation at all. It was all about the locality's politics.
    You mean the claims were denied. I don't know the facts, but it's quite possible to engineer a change in the racial demographic by change of policies that appear to have nothing to do with race.

http://www.searchlightmagazine.com/i...late&story=137
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    But then again, I was brought up in the borough of Lewisham so I have many friends from diverse cultures and colours.
    But all Papists no doubt.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    Obvious question - are you a supporter of the BNP?
    Yep.

(Original post by yawn)
    I am not screaming out to anyone "We are sick and tired of immigration and multiculturalism" because I'm not - despite living in an area where immigrants/asylum seekers are evident in huge numbers.
    People like you are a mystery to me. If you're white, then I can only assume that it's because you have no frame of reference, nothing to compare it to. Some of us can remember how nice the place used to be before it got taken over by immigrants and asylum seekers. Or it could be because you watch too much MTV. Both are valid theories.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ferrus)
    But all Papists no doubt.
    Ooh - bitch!

Not at all - many of them Muslim, some Hindu, quite a few Sikhs - one who taught me transcendental meditation (think he might have been Buddhist) and of course, plenty of fellow Christians.

I tend to avoid friendships with atheists, since they are so aggressive!
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    People like you are a mystery to me. If you're white, then I can only assume that it's because you have no frame of reference, nothing to compare it to. Some of us can remember how nice the place used to be before it got taken over by immigrants and asylum seekers.
    What, Lewisham? I find it hard to believe that Lewisham was ever nice!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    What, Lewisham? I find it hard to believe that Lewisham was ever nice!
    I don't know, I've never actually been to Lewisham, thank God. Where I live though, I remember a time when you could walk around town and not feel like a stranger in your own country.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yep.

People like you are a mystery to me. If you're white, then I can only assume that it's because you have no frame of reference, nothing to compare it to. Some of us can remember how nice the place used to be before it got taken over by immigrants and asylum seekers.
    'Nice' - what do you mean? It was all white?

Really, you are an out and out racist, since all you see is colour and cultural difference within this feeling of being 'taken over'.

Have you ever lived anywhere else for any length of time in a country that is predominantly black or Asian? Perhaps it is you who has no frame of reference.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't know, I've never actually been to Lewisham, thank God. Where I live though, I remember a time when you could walk around town and not feel like a stranger in your own country.
    So, where do you live?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    Really, you are an out and out racist, since all you see is colour and cultural difference within this feeling of being 'taken over'.
    Not necessarily, it could be an issue of nationalism, not racism.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    'Nice' - what do you mean? It was all white?

Yeah, it was white, less crime, safer, just generally more pleasant. Seriously though, do you not have a problem with white people becoming the ethnic minority in their own country?

(Original post by yawn)
    Have you ever lived anywhere else for any length of time in a country that is predominantly black or Asian? Perhaps it is you who has no frame of reference.
    I have, and funnily enough the people were a lot nicer there. It's almost as if immigrants are being briefed at the UK border by people from Searchlight and UAF and told to do everything they possibly can to be obnoxious and annoy white people once they get in.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    So, where do you live?
    Leeds.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Leeds.
    Oh. Are there lots of asylum seekers/immigrants in Leeds? Never been there myself.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yawn, if that is racism - a people wanting to retain their dominance and hold over their homeland - then the word "racism" should be ditched. It is implied anyway in the terms "people," "nation," and "human nature".

One wonders how Shakespeare, the translators of the bible, Milton, et al, managed to discuss race and nation issues without the useless neologism - could I be right?
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    I find it hard to believe that Lewisham was ever nice!

The thing that makes Lewisham 'nice' is the people who live there.

I really miss it, you know.
    Having a laugh, 'innit with me black bros (eating curried goat, rice and peas)
    Sharing houmous with my Greek friends in their back gardens, whilst dancing to Zorbra and smashing plates over our heads.
    Being invited to dinner to sample the delights of genuine Morrocan cuisine.
    Praising the Lord in Church with Cynthia (our choir's Gospel music expert)
    Dissing the smell of Singapore airport on approach with my mate from Singpore!
    Having the honour of being chief bridesmaid at my Nigerian friends' wedding.
    Enjoying the 'craic' with my Irish mates.
    Trying to do a 'sword dance' and falling over into the arms of a handsome Scottish bloke.
    Teaching English to a friend from Rio de Janeiro and him trying to teach me to drive.
    Just generally enjoying all the diversity that comes from exploring friendships with people from other places.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 10, 2006
New on TSR

A-level results day

Is it about making your parents proud?

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.