The Student Room Group

US vs UK universities in terms of Prestige

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by LutherVan
This is rubbish!

What makes HYP far better than Oxbridge?

More competitive admission
Calibre of applicants
Huge endowment
Prestige
Network
Reply 21
I'd say UCL and LSE are on par with the Ivy League.

Which is good considering US universities get a huge amount more funding than UK ones.
Reply 22
I'd say it probably goes in the order of Yale, Cumbria, Harvard, Oxford and Hull. :P
The Ivy League is far superior to the Russell Group and every empirical statistic would prove it, most people here are just biased; especially when it comes to the US.

P.s. Oxbridge is NOT better than Harvard, Yale or Princeton.
The Ivy League is far superior to the Russell Group and every empirical statistic would prove it, most people here are just biased; especially when it comes to the US.

P.s. Oxbridge is NOT better than Harvard, Yale, MIT or Princeton.
I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned Imperial.
Reply 26
All of you seem to be very knowledgeable talking about top class universities. It makes me wonder how many universities have you actually experienced before making such conclusions.
Experience meaning being in the university and perceiving the academic atmosphere, facilities, lecturers, quality of research, etc.

Keep it classy, TSR.
My understanding was that Oxford and Cambridge exceed Ivy League for undergraduate degrees but Ivy League trumps Oxbridge for Masters. This may be an oversimplification but I think it generally holds true.
for me
Harvard>Yale>Cambridge>Oxford>Ivy League>G5>Rest of Russell Group
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Politricks
I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned Imperial.

Q. What does Imperial primarily teach?

A. Sciences

Q. How many scientists work in the media?

A. Very few, if any.

Take these articles in The Daiily Telegraph.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/9842340/More-privately-educated-pupils-win-university-offers.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/9845101/After-school-tutors-priced-out-the-grasp-of-middle-class-parents.html

What picture does the first show and which universities do they focus on?

Bear in mind the second article has been featured many times before, including in The Times, where they highlighted someone paid £1000 per hour for a tutor. Perhaps it did happen but it's more of an exception than the norm but they would like you to believe it's commonplace.

Don't believe everything you read.

Now are you still so surprised that nobody has mentioned Imperial?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by benq
More competitive admission
Calibre of applicants
Huge endowment
Prestige
Network

Please explain how HYP is better than Oxbridge in terms of all those criteria excluding endowment.
I have friends at many of these schools and I will try to rank them in terms of general international prestige, especially in terms of undergraduate education.

(Note alphabetic order for same rank - !)

1. Penn (Wharton)
2. Oxford
3. Dartmouth, LSE (economics), Penn (other schools)
4. Berkeley, Brown, Cornell, Duke, LSE (other subjects), UCL
5. Durham, Vanderbilt

Now to arouse some controversy I will also rank the top schools of the US and UK together. Note! I am trying to not be biased here. It is a bit difficult to compare for example narrowly oriented schools like Caltech and Imperial with others. Also, I only rank these in terms of international prestige, not pure UK or US domestic prestige, nor for any specific subjects - engineering at Cornell for example is generally regarded as better than at Harvard.

1. Harvard, Penn (Wharton), Stanford
2. Cambridge, MIT, Oxford, Princeton, Yale
3. Caltech, Columbia, Dartmouth, LSE (economics), Penn (other schools)
4. Berkeley, Brown, Cornell, Duke, Imperial, LSE (other subjects), U Chicago, UCL

Note: Yes, I believe the US comfortably edges out the UK overall, but remember that the US has a population many times that of the UK so I suppose you could say the UK is more impressive 'per capita'.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 32
I'd imagine you'd be better off studying law in the country you plan on living or practicing law in.
(edited 11 years ago)
For everyone's information:

http://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/2012/10/25/world/asia/25iht-sreducemerging25-graphic.html

Purely from a global employer point of view, this survey is spot-on.
Reply 34
Original post by alice_zhao
I have friends at many of these schools and I will try to rank them in terms of general international prestige, especially in terms of undergraduate education.

1. Penn (Wharton)
2. Oxford
5. Durham, Vanderbilt

Now to arouse some controversy I will also rank the top schools of the US and UK together. Note! I am trying to not be biased here. It is a bit difficult to compare for example narrowly oriented schools like Caltech and Imperial with others. Also, I only rank these in terms of international prestige, not pure UK or US domestic prestige, nor for any specific subjects - engineering at Cornell for example is generally regarded as better than at Harvard.

4. Berkeley, Brown, Cornell, Duke, Imperial, LSE (other subjects), U Chicago, UCL

Note: Yes, I believe the US comfortably edges out the UK overall, but remember that the US has a population many times that of the UK so I suppose you could say the UK is more impressive 'per capita'.

this looks more like an americancentric perception of prestige than an international one. In the latter, Imperial, LSE, UCL are higher and Penn, Dartmouth, Duke, Brown lower.
Original post by Theophile
this looks more like an americancentric perception of prestige than an international one. In the latter, Imperial, LSE, UCL are higher and Penn, Dartmouth, Duke, Brown lower.

I am afraid I have to disagree. You have to remember that the US is not only far more populous than the UK but also far more influential culturally and economically around the world. You would agree with me if I say that more people around the world would know about Penn, Cornell or Brown compared to UCL or Imperial. Furthermore, these schools have financial situations which are much superior to British schools in general and they are able to provide greater opportunities for undergraduates. Not to forget, acceptance to these schools is far more competitive -- remember that though American students may apply to an unlimited number of schools, each application requires more time per application on one hand and a fee ($75 - $90) on the other, making students on average apply to fewer schools in contrast to the UK where practically everyone applies to five schools through UCAS with one common application and a single fee of merely £23.

If I were to rank the universities in terms of American prestige, Oxbridge would not have been among the ranks of Princeton or Yale, and certainly would not have edged out Columbia or Penn.

The UK has many excellent schools, but in terms of international prestige, only Oxbridge attains that level of international recognition as elite institutions which most of the Ivy League, MIT and Stanford enjoys. I hope you agree with me. Also, remember that international prestige tells you nothing about which school is a better fit for you, since that is entirely subjective.

EDIT:

Though this is obviously no measure of international prestige, the number of English Wikipedia page hits for each university page reinforces my point about their global reputation. These statistics are for January this year:

University (English Wikipedia page hits rounded off to nearest 5k)

Harvard (190k)
Stanford (140k)
Yale (100k)
Columbia (90k)
MIT (90k)
Oxford (90k)
Cambridge (80k)
Cornell (75k)
Princeton (75k)
Berkeley (70k)
Brown (60k)
Dartmouth (60k)
Duke (60k)
Penn (60k)
UCL (45k)
LSE (35k)
Imperial (25k)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 36
I am afraid I have to disagree. You have to remember that the US is not only far more populous than the UK but also far more influential culturally and economically around the world. You would agree with me if I say that more people around the world would know about Penn, Cornell or Brown compared to UCL or Imperial. Furthermore, these schools have financial situations which are much superior to British schools in general and they are able to provide greater opportunities for undergraduates. Not to forget, acceptance to these schools is far more competitive -- remember that though American students may apply to an unlimited number of schools, each application requires more time per application on one hand and a fee ($75 - $90) on the other, making students on average apply to fewer schools in contrast to the UK where practically everyone applies to five schools through UCAS with one common application and a single fee of merely £23.

If I were to rank the universities in terms of American prestige, Oxbridge would not have been among the ranks of Princeton or Yale, and certainly would not have edged out Columbia or Penn.

The UK has many excellent schools, but in terms of international prestige, only Oxbridge attains that level of international recognition as elite institutions which most of the Ivy League, MIT and Stanford enjoys. I hope you agree with me. Also, remember that international prestige tells you nothing about which school is a better fit for you, since that is entirely subjective.

EDIT:

Though this is obviously no measure of international prestige, the number of English Wikipedia page hits for each university page reinforces my point about their global reputation. These statistics are for January this year:

Harvard (190k)
Stanford (140k)
Yale (100k)
Columbia (90k)
MIT (90k)
Oxford (90k)
Cambridge (80k)
Cornell (75k)
Princeton (75k)
Berkeley (70k)
Brown (60k)
Dartmouth (60k)
Duke (60k)
Penn (60k)
UCL (45k)
LSE (35k)
Imperial (25k)

Every international and prestige league table, with differing methodologies, consistently rank Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial, UCL, Edinburgh, KCL, Manchester and Bristol with the best in the world.

Apart from Oxbridge, both Imperial and UCL consistently rank on par or beat a lot of Ivy Leagues, so what do you mean by "only Oxbridge attains that level of international recognition as elite institutions which most of the Ivy League, MIT and Stanford enjoys"?

Is your Wikipedia hits table more reliable than these?

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/2012/reputation-ranking

http://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/2011/10/20/education/20iht-SReducEmploy20-graphic.html?ref=education

http://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/2012/10/25/world/asia/25iht-sreducemerging25-graphic.html?ref=nf
Original post by Whatthe
Hi guys,

I was just wondering what how you think the UK universities stand up to the US ones in terms of prestige in their own countries and globally as a whole. The universities I have applied to are as follows, and I would appreciate it if you could put in your opinion and add to the fray. (My list is in the order of my relatively uninformed opinion).

Oxford
UPenn
Dartmouth
LSE
Brown
UCL
Berkeley
Duke
Cornell
Vanderbilt
Durham

What do you guys think? Roughly correct or way out? The primary question I am interested in is UCL/LSE (because I have offers) vs the Ivy Leagues (waiting on). I am interested in studying law after my undergraduate course in either the USA or the UK, which would stand me in better stead? UCL or UPenn? LSE or Brown etc?

Although I've been rejected from Oxford, I'm still interested: Oxbridge or the Ivy Leagues (exc HYP). Specifically, is Oxford or UPenn more prestigious in the world as a whole?

Thanks everyone.

You completely missed out Cambridge.

I think some old UK unis have more prestige because they were founded way before any US uni.

EDIT:

)

That's a stupid comparison to use. Obviously mainly UK people will search for uk unis. Mainly US people will search for US unis. There's 3-4x as many Americans as there are brits.
Reply 39

1. Penn (Wharton)
2. Oxford
5. Durham, Vanderbilt

It is also fairly ridiculous to state Yale and Princeton rank internationally on par prestige-wise with Oxbridge. These universities are barely known outside the US especially Princeton. Harvard, Oxford and Cambridge would easily roll off the tongue of most people around the world, Yale and Princeton, far less so. It is only the educated that will know Yale, Princeton would still struggle amongst the educated outside the US. MIT can be on par but definitely not Princeton.

Not to say Princeton is not a world class university.

Also Penn above Oxbridge in international prestige? Are you joking? How many people around the world know Penn compared to Oxbridge?
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending