The Student Room Group

Choosing my A-Levels

I'm currently in High School, and am in the process of picking my options for college. I am going to be doing A levels, and have decided on Maths, Physics and Computing. I need to pick one more A-level course, but am not sure what to choose. I would likely be dropping this fourth option after my first year. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions from past experiences or are in college now, and is enjoying a particular subject. I want to avoid any 'essay heavy' subjects if possible. I was considering taking Chemistry along with the other three, any thoughts on that? I have been told it would be a heavy workload, along with the other three. Another idea I had was Economics, as it fits in with the maths based topics I mentioned before. Thanks for any suggestions!
Original post by G.Burslem
I'm currently in High School, and am in the process of picking my options for college. I am going to be doing A levels, and have decided on Maths, Physics and Computing. I need to pick one more A-level course, but am not sure what to choose. I would likely be dropping this fourth option after my first year. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions from past experiences or are in college now, and is enjoying a particular subject. I want to avoid any 'essay heavy' subjects if possible. I was considering taking Chemistry along with the other three, any thoughts on that? I have been told it would be a heavy workload, along with the other three. Another idea I had was Economics, as it fits in with the maths based topics I mentioned before. Thanks for any suggestions!

Hi mate. As someone who recently graduated from the A-level programme (Though not from your choices) I can safely say that your A-level choices are enough. Taking Chemistry may only extinguish your enthusiasm as I had friends who took 4 options and did not me the mark. I'd say pick General studies as a fourth subject. But it's your choice :smile:
Reply 2
What are you looking at doing after college?
I do Chemistry myself and I absolutely love it, its definitely ticks the no essays box, but it is difficult; easily my most challenging a-level. I can't speak for Economics, but a few of my friends do it in conjunction with the other a-levels you talked about.
I think you just need to consider what subject you enjoyed most at gcse!
Reply 3

In my school it's the norm to take 4 subjects at AS, and I wouldn't have thought the workload would be that large as, as you say, you're avoiding the essay/extra reading subjects.

I'm really enjoying AS Chemistry at the minute, would recommend it. :smile:
Im currently doing my A2 and have applied to uni and no that if you plan to apply to top unis defo dont pick general studies or anything like it suchas critical thinking as top unis dont take the course seriously. Im doin chemistry and realy enjoy it. I would recommend it to you but u defo need to put the work in to get the high grade. Your choices so far are good I think chem or econ would be very suitable.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Thanks to all your replies guys. I pretty much have to pick four options at AS, and then drop one in my second year at A2. A lot of you seem to enjoy Chemistry, I'm just worried about the workload in conjunction with the other three. Economics is probably the best for me right now, and if anybody has done this at AS, could they let me know of their experiences? Thanks again!
Thanks to all your replies guys. I pretty much have to pick four options at AS, and then drop one in my second year at A2. A lot of you seem to enjoy Chemistry, I'm just worried about the workload in conjunction with the other three. Economics is probably the best for me right now, and if anybody has done this at AS, could they let me know of their experiences? Thanks again!

The workload of chemistry is not really anymore than physics, so I would still recommend it, but it comes down to what you enjoy. Economics will probably be less of a workload however, if you are good at maths (considering maths, physics etc)
Reply 7
Hmm well it obviously depends on what subject you want to study at university. Chemistry is very well regarded by all university departments but as you say it is a lot of work (some people say it's the hardest subject, and well, I don't want to go *that* far, but it's very time consuming, especially if you pick the Salters' course). Fortunately for you, if you're considering dropping it after AS it shouldn't be *that* bad, considering module 5 for both exam boards is sheer horror, and that's an A2 module. If you want to go for a maths based course (sounds like it by the choice of subjects) then go for Economics! Or perhaps consider Biology- it's a nice balance between the science subjects and the essay subjects, and I've been enjoying it a lot more at A-level compared to at GCSE :smile:Good luck for your future whichever one you choose!
Reply 8
I appreciate all the help guys, this is the first time I've ever posted on here and everyone has been extremely helpful. Thank you, I have a while to weigh up my options now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest