The Student Room Group

Planned A Level Changes

Scroll to see replies

If some one was to go to college in the year 2016 will they be affected by these changes ?
I think what's being missed in the article is the fact that A-levels are also synoptic. Sure, modular A-levels encourage this 'learn and forget' idea, however 20% of each A level exam contains material from AS exams, so students still need to revise over the content of previous modules. My belief is that a middle-ground should be adopted, by having an AS qualification in its own right, that also contributes to the full A-level, and by having 1 set of exams each year, not two.
Reply 62
I think it would be a good thing. People would learn to revise stuff regularly, and not just start cramming a month before exams, then have to retake, as these end of Alevel exams won't be able to be retook unless youre willing to do A2 again and go to uni a year later. and people might make a better effort and understand their subject more, as unit by unit actually builds on itself. and people will actually enjoy christmas/ summer more now exams won't be in the way, which is always nice.

Gonna be a tough time for unis though. Don't think Gove thought this idea all the way through..
Original post by IShouldBeRevising_
Most private schools dont do january exams anyway... this doesn't effect them I guess...

Increasing numbers of state schools have not used Jan Y12 exams either
Original post by IShouldBeRevising_
Yes you will be affected... you will sit all your A2 exams in the summer... no more january exams

That is the last lot of changes not this lot
Gove will have an ulterior motive I am sure. He is a publicity seeker.
Reply 66
Original post by Occams Chainsaw
I think some reform is probably needed. If I were in Gove's position I would probably adopt the US system. Broader education with classes taken over semesters. I think this actually makes more sense than our current system. As for grades. What about a grade curve? We could have a fixed amount of A grades etc.
Instead of Exam boards competing for schools to use their easier specs -- what about a University-controlled spec? One for everyone in the uk?
It might even work! Perhaps the biggest change I would make is no room for resits.
Also, I know AS grades are important atm as a predictor to universities but I guess we could make a GPA system which combines GCSE and first year A Level grades. Then we could receive offers based on a certain GPA level and test scores on the exams to be taken in the future.

I would even want to work in the LAS type education that birmingham have adopted for their new course.
I think that system is far more fair than ours, but hey-- I don't know anything!

LAS type education? Trying to think what that stands for.
Reply 67
Original post by clareramos
LAS type education? Trying to think what that stands for.

liberal arts and sciences... sorry!
A less specific degree, like the US college system which consists of 4 years.
Original post by TenOfThem
I know of students on here who are predictions below/at/1 or 2 grades above their AS

If you are saying that AS gives a second, moderated, indicator alongside the predictions for universities to consider then you are correct

But you still seem to be suggesting that predictions are actually standardised at the moment ... this is incorrect ... they are trusted now because universities understand that schools (for the most part) make appropriate predictions ... we make appropriate predictions because there is no advantage to anyone to over-predict

This is more what I was getting at. I realise that some schools inflate predictions fairly substantially above AS results. I suppose this depends on individual schools and their past successes in boosting scores post-AS, through retakes or whatever else. I know that my school predicted above AS results on a consistent basis.

I take the point about overpredicting not being particularly advantageous. That said, I was predicted above my AS results and I may not have worked as hard to meet (or beat) my predictions had they been lower. I guess the judgment of whether to predict above a student's AS results would depend pretty heavily on the first-hand experience which teachers get of their students.
Original post by TurboCretin

I take the point about overpredicting not being particularly advantageous. That said, I was predicted above my AS results and I may not have worked as hard to meet (or beat) my predictions had they been lower. I guess the judgment of whether to predict above a student's AS results would depend pretty heavily on the first-hand experience which teachers get of their students.

I am not saying it is wrong to predict above AS

But schools, generally, do not predict above a reasonable expectation
Original post by The Polymath
Modular exams are too bite-sized, encouraging compartmentalised work. You spend more time fretting about revision, deadlines, coursework, exams etc. than actually enjoying your subject.

They also hinder the ability to link ideas from different modules as "you can't mention this in this module as it's not from this specification" etc.

Studying for exams like STEP, or linear language A-levels, is much more enjoyable as you can freely use/include anything you've covered, leading to deeper understanding and links between topics.

However, "It also means that apart from a stray AS-level, there will be no public exams in the lower sixth year"

This bit I think was a huge mistake. We NEED AS-levels as an indicator for universities as to who to select (seeing as most don't interview, they'll go by GCSEs.. which are a poor indicator). Also, AS-levels provide motivation to work in your first year so that you can maximise university potential.

I do agree that A-level grades should be independent of AS-level grades. Use AS-levels to encourage people to max out their university admissions chances, and then A-levels to force them to work to meet their offer.

For the average top 10 university applicant, once they've achieved top A grades at AS-level, it's simply a matter of slacking off, getting B/Cs in the A2 and then ending up with As overall to meet the offer.

So I would support the following:
- Exams right at the end of the first year (call them, say, University Entrance, or UE-levels)
- Exams right at the end of the second year, called A-levels, which cover the whole 2 years of content and require demonstration of serious understanding.
- And whilst I'm at it, we should make the exams tougher but lower the grade boundaries, allowing students to excel but not be penalised too much for petty mistakes.

This this this!
I find it interesting how the "older" generation continue to claim exams are getting easier year upon year. I genuinely would like to see some of these people take an A level and see how they get on. Especially in regards to Maths and the Sciences.
Gove shows his idiocy again-this is his worst idea yet.Yes pupils are being taught to the exam and a change to linear doesn't theoretically seem wrong for AS and A2 but not for the A-Level because a lot of students drop out at AS because they failed and try new things eg.apprenticeships, work experience etc and a lot of students drop one subject or completely change their options because they chose the wrong subjects and without this system a lot people aren't going to get the grades they need for college because most people can only handle 3 A-Levels and remember that the college funding only lasts 3 years, which means that students who fail after choosing the wrong subjects will have to pay money for the 2nd year, which just isn't on.Notice how stupid the idea seems before we have even considered the pressure of AS-A2 in one exam session.A linear AS and A2 would seem a reasonable proposal because students need to know where they at so that they can drop subjects.You could probably pick an average person and they would understand the importance of AS and A2 and the university UCAS applications are going to be extremely awkward.
(edited 11 years ago)
Whats ridiculous is that Micheal Gove has absolutely no experience in the Educational profession. F*** HIM
Reply 74
I take the IB so I can definitely see the benefits of moving over to less modular based courses, with a greater weighting on end of year examinations- I find that I'm maintaing a broader and deeper understanding of my subjects.

However I think that the distinction between AS and A2 is a mistake and I'm unsure as to what people would gain from a pure 'A-level' as opposed to the way that it is taught now- surely there will be no differences content wise? I think that there still needs to be some kind of intermediate qualification so that people can continue to build upon their knowledge in a second year.
(edited 11 years ago)
He's an idiot and needs to try out the current A levels for himself!
A-level Maths and Further Maths will be fine with only two exams....

What is Gove thinking? I think modules such as:

A Mixture of all the Statistics, Mechanics and Decision we can find
As much Core Maths as we can fit in
As much Further Pure Maths as we can fit in

will be being taken soon.
A levels are rigorous as they stand, but there is no denying the AS side to the A level is weak. I like the proposals as students still have the AS year to sort themselves and hone their essay skills etc but the easier qualification does not contribute to the overall grade. This means the A level is toughened, and it needs to be, but not in a drastic way.

It is the GCSEs that need sorting out. When I was at school the A* was rare but now many many students are coming out with whole hoards of them!
Original post by Abstract1234
I find it interesting how the "older" generation continue to claim exams are getting easier year upon year. I genuinely would like to see some of these people take an A level and see how they get on. Especially in regards to Maths and the Sciences.

Interestingly, when I took an A level 6 years ago I found it much easier than when I took the others, 32 years ago
Original post by metaltron
A-level Maths and Further Maths will be fine with only two exams....

What is Gove thinking? I think modules such as:

A Mixture of all the Statistics, Mechanics and Decision we can find
As much Core Maths as we can fit in
As much Further Pure Maths as we can fit in

will be being taken soon.

Again, Maths and FM was studied when we only had exams at the end (with a lot more content) and we managed

Quick Reply

Latest