The Student Room Group
University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website

Anyone going to Essex university this September?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by CUFCDan
You're lucky - Essex are really revolutionising their courses for your intake. The first year courses look incredible, and I promise you, the quantitative training you get is one of the best in the country.

I'm not overstating it, honestly.

To be honest I couldnt be more excited. I went on a couple world university ranking websites a couple weeks back and saw that Essex's uni government department is ranked 48th in the world! I live in the US, so when I saw it's ranked above universities such as Brown, Duke, Notre Dame, and Boston University I was truly thrilled! Are you a student at Essex ?
University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website
Reply 61
Original post by briansm
To be honest I couldnt be more excited. I went on a couple world university ranking websites a couple weeks back and saw that Essex's uni government department is ranked 48th in the world! I live in the US, so when I saw it's ranked above universities such as Brown, Duke, Notre Dame, and Boston University I was truly thrilled! Are you a student at Essex ?

It is likely to rise. Honestly, I'm really envious of your intake.

I am, just finished my second year so going into my third. I do politics but I took the International Relations modules in my first and second year so I might be of some use.
Reply 62
Original post by CUFCDan
It is likely to rise. Honestly, I'm really envious of your intake.

I am, just finished my second year so going into my third. I do politics but I took the International Relations modules in my first and second year so I might be of some use.

Well that's actually really great to hear. It's just making me look even further to september!
Being dead honest here... don't apply for the towers if you're simply not the party person, because you will get pretty p*ssed off by the end of the year. Food stealing, loud noise, horrible mess are probably the few negatives. Not to forget you are living with a lot of people so don't be surprised if not everyone's your friend. Money saver, less restrictions, HUGE social life, always something to do, always someone to hang with are the positives!!! (The negatives are not always but it's a pretty big possibility)

Survived towers in my first year (North). Not much work got done, regrettably. Now I just need something more quiet to get serious with my studies. Your first year in towers should generally be fun. But if you haven't opted for towers that's also fine just make friends that live there so you always get invited to "social gatherings" :headbang: .

There's the truth guys. Enjoy freshers!
(Don't forget why you are in Uni)
Yeah im going to Essex Uni this year, studying History :smile:
Reply 65
Yeah I'm studying Modern History this September so we'll most probably be in the same lectures

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 66
Original post by Tye Singer
Hey I just finished my first year studying Psychology and living in North towers, feel free to ask any questions...

Hello Tye I've applied to UOE to start this September fingers crossed*
I wanted to ask about your experience of living in North Towers as that it my first choice accommodation?
Reply 67
Going to Essex to study Law ! But I still need to improve my english... I'ne known people who lived in the North Towers and they loved it. Personally I'll be living in the South Courts, anyone else ?
Reply 68
Original post by Jadou
Going to Essex to study Law ! But I still need to improve my english... I'ne known people who lived in the North Towers and they loved it. Personally I'll be living in the South Courts, anyone else ?

Same, hopefully.
Reply 69
I'm going this year! I'll be on the Colchester campus :smile:
Reply 70
yup :smile: Sport science. will be at keynes towers.
Reply 71
Politics :smile: Harwich Court (South Courts)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 72
I'm coming to Essex this year! To study law!
Original post by Unientry2012
Being dead honest here... don't apply for the towers if you're simply not the party person, because you will get pretty p*ssed off by the end of the year. Food stealing, loud noise, horrible mess are probably the few negatives. Not to forget you are living with a lot of people so don't be surprised if not everyone's your friend. Money saver, less restrictions, HUGE social life, always something to do, always someone to hang with are the positives!!! (The negatives are not always but it's a pretty big possibility)

Survived towers in my first year (North). Not much work got done, regrettably. Now I just need something more quiet to get serious with my studies. Your first year in towers should generally be fun. But if you haven't opted for towers that's also fine just make friends that live there so you always get invited to "social gatherings" :headbang: .

There's the truth guys. Enjoy freshers!
(Don't forget why you are in Uni)

I lived in south courts. Made loads of friends (who also happened to live in south courts) and had a good social life. I'm going to miss my old south court house.:frown:
Reply 74
I'll also be in Harwich Court ! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 75
AAAAAAAH so many Harwich Courters!
Reply 76
I am indeedy! I'll be in Cole, and studying Tropical Marine Biology at Master's level. The diving thing has me curious. Guess I better learn to swim a bit better. :colondollar:

I was a bit bummed I didn't get into something less expensive, but hearing that the Towers are party central, I think I might be okay with this.
Original post by Saliency
If anyone has any questions about any of the biosciences, feel free to ask me. I've just passed my first year with a first so I can answer any work related questions you may have :smile:

Heyy ^.^ I'm going to be studying Biomedical Science and I'm wondering how you found your course. Did you enjoy it? How was the learning experience ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 78
Original post by Abiiabidemi
Heyy ^.^ I'm going to be studying Biomedical Science and I'm wondering how you found your course. Did you enjoy it? How was the learning experience ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congrats on getting in! Tp be honest I didn't really enjoy the first term as it was quite basic and I think it was just to make sure everyone is on the same level. As long as you did A-level Biology and Chemistry it definitely is like a recap. The labs in autumn were pretty good though I learnt quite a bit from. We also had to fill out assessed worksheets but as long as you read all the pre lab material you should be fine. Spring term became more interesting as we we're learning a lot if new material but this also means you have to work harder. There was multiple choice questions in January and after Easter then I had Essay based exams in June. There was some bits of the course which was done online like online maths and stats tests and MasteringBiology assessments. All in all I enjoyed the academic year though! It's easy to say 'I'm aiming just to get 40% as first year doesn't count' but if you want to do a year in industry or a year abroad you really have to aim for 65%+.

Hope this helped
Reply 79
I'm in south courts! Found so many people on here who are in Harwich Court, haven't seen anyone mention any other courts (apart from me! Haha) I'm in Brightlingsea Court :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending