The Student Room Group

CCEA C3 - 23rd January 2013

What did people think of this exam? I thought it was a fairly standard paper. Some parts were messy, for example the differentiation of e3xcot(1/2 x + π/4)

and also the question where it asked for the horizontal axis that reflects the curve (x-2)2 + (1/y)2 = 1

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey, I thought it was fine - hopefully 100%. The horizontal axis of symmetry was y=0 :smile:
Reply 2
I also think it was quite easy. I'm certain the mark scheme will have marks for saying let u = e^3x and all that substitution for the question mentioned so I done it that way. I hate that though because you could just do the derivative and write it down straight away.
Reply 3
Original post by Ateo
I also think it was quite easy. I'm certain the mark scheme will have marks for saying let u = e^3x and all that substitution for the question mentioned so I done it that way. I hate that though because you could just do the derivative and write it down straight away.

I also did that, just in case. I liked the binomial question at the end - can see it throwing some of the weaker candidates (and perhaps lowering our boundaries).
Reply 4
Original post by CD315
I also did that, just in case. I liked the binomial question at the end - can see it throwing some of the weaker candidates (and perhaps lowering our boundaries).

I agree. Pure never gets scaled though, does it?
Reply 5
Original post by Ateo
I agree. Pure never gets scaled though, does it?

It does. C2 last year got scaled - I got 74 and got 100%.

My only worry with today was not writing something down and explaining myself properly..
Reply 6
Original post by CD315
It does. C2 last year got scaled - I got 74 and got 100%.

My only worry with today was not writing something down and explaining myself properly..

It should be ok, there wasn't anything that required very specific explanations. I won't be bothered doing the solutions for now. I'm going to focus on C4 and mechanics and might post a whole bunch of solutions on Friday next week if anybody wants them.
Reply 7
Original post by Ateo
It should be ok, there wasn't anything that required very specific explanations. I won't be bothered doing the solutions for now. I'm going to focus on C4 and mechanics and might post a whole bunch of solutions on Friday next week if anybody wants them.

I'd love to be doing C4 and getting it out of the way - damn school. Good luck with those :smile: I'm not too worried about solutions to be honest.
Reply 8
Original post by CD315
I'd love to be doing C4 and getting it out of the way - damn school. Good luck with those :smile: I'm not too worried about solutions to be honest.

It is really easy, I was looking forward to some more complicated questions on parametric integration (volumes of revolution etc) but I found out that there is none on C4. Luckily I will have a little bit of fun with this when doing the AEA.
Reply 9
Original post by Ateo
It is really easy, I was looking forward to some more complicated questions on parametric integration (volumes of revolution etc) but I found out that there is none on C4. Luckily I will have a little bit of fun with this when doing the AEA.

Yeah, C4's fine - when you've done some STEP integration the material on C4 becomes simple! Really wish I could do it now, at least I'd have an A* earlier.
Reply 10
The only question i had trouble with was the parametric equation! My mind blanked and just did not have a clue on how to do it! For the equation of the tangent i got y=2x-1 i think? And really liked the binomial question
Reply 11
Original post by nathannnb
The only question i had trouble with was the parametric equation! My mind blanked and just did not have a clue on how to do it! For the equation of the tangent i got y=2x-1 i think? And really liked the binomial question

It was y=2x+1y = 2x + 1, not minus 1.
Reply 12
Yea i got that :smile: for the ln questions for the first one did you get x=e and the other one x=e^3 and e^-1
Reply 13
Yea i got that :smile: for the ln questions for the first one did you get x=e and the other one x=e^3 and e^-1

Correct.
Reply 14
Original post by CD315
Correct.

What did you get for the binomial question?
Reply 15
What did you get for the binomial question?

Can't remember exactly.. 12+5x4\dfrac{1}{2} + \dfrac{5x}{4} ? I think, I'm not sure though. I can't remember my x2x^2 term.
Reply 16
Original post by CD315
Can't remember exactly.. 12+5x4\dfrac{1}{2} + \dfrac{5x}{4} ? I think, I'm not sure though. I can't remember my x2x^2 term.

I got 1+x/2+7x^2/4
Reply 17
I got 1+x/2+7x^2/4

I'll do it now, give me 2 minutes.
Reply 19

The binomial expansion isnt there it just says series expansion? I've been trying wolfram alpha as i have the app on my ipad but it hasnt been working.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending