The Student Room Group

Homeopathy and Vegetarianism

It appears many of the medicines used in homeopathy involve insects or flesh of some sort (along with plants).

But if a lot of people who use homeopathy are vegetarian then do they use just plant sources or do they accept animal-sourced drugs in this situation?

I'm confused :/
Reply 1
Homeopathic drugs don't contain any trace of the original source chemical anyway, so it doesn't really matter whether it's animal sourced or not.
Reply 2
Original post by Domeface
Homeopathic drugs don't contain any trace of the original source chemical anyway, so it doesn't really matter whether it's animal sourced or not.

Well it does, but it's very diluted.
I'm a vegan and I take prescribed medication (I know its not homeopathy but still) which obviously has been tested on animals and some will contain animal ingredients (lactose for example). Some would see this as me being a hypocrite which is not the point, being vegan is about living a life as animal free as possible. We cannot avoid animal by products in the modern world, its impossible to avoid it completely. So to answer your question, I would say, if they need it for their physical health, they would use the animal derived version if they cannot find a non animal derived product.

This is a very sensitive topic though. I have stopped taking my medication before because I wish to live an animal free life, and its made me very very ill and I've been sectioned. So I have to take it really. However I am strongly against animal testing, so yeah, I feel like a douche, but what can I do?
Reply 4
Original post by bullettheory
I'm a vegan and I take prescribed medication (I know its not homeopathy but still) which obviously has been tested on animals and some will contain animal ingredients (lactose for example). Some would see this as me being a hypocrite which is not the point, being vegan is about living a life as animal free as possible. We cannot avoid animal by products in the modern world, its impossible to avoid it completely. So to answer your question, I would say, if they need it for their physical health, they would use the animal derived version if they cannot find a non animal derived product.

This is a very sensitive topic though. I have stopped taking my medication before because I wish to live an animal free life, and its made me very very ill and I've been sectioned. So I have to take it really. However I am strongly against animal testing, so yeah, I feel like a douche, but what can I do?

Can I just ask, with the medication you take, how are the animals treated/what is used from the animals that are being tested on?
Original post by ANARCHY__
Can I just ask, with the medication you take, how are the animals treated/what is used from the animals that are being tested on?

Well all medications are tested on animals before being released to the public, it would be hard to tell exactly how they are treated but it would most likely involve pain and suffering. There may also be animal derived ingredients in the meds, which are most likely by products from the meat/dairy industry
Reply 6
Well all medications are tested on animals before being released to the public, it would be hard to tell exactly how they are treated but it would most likely involve pain and suffering. There may also be animal derived ingredients in the meds, which are most likely by products from the meat/dairy industry

Um, well I can't really say much to that. I have to say, I can't really bring myself to believe that all medication is tested on animals. But even if it was, I'm not sure how this would involve pain and suffering, necessarily. I'm a vegetarian but I don't use homoeopathic medicine, in answer to the OP and I have no problem with using medication personally.

As for animal derived ingredients, this is a fair point if you are a vegan I guess but I'm pretty sure most medicine, as a requisite, lists its ingredients, right? So by extension, surely it is relatively simple to see which medication has stuff and which doesn't. :dontknow:
Original post by ANARCHY__
Um, well I can't really say much to that. I have to say, I can't really bring myself to believe that all medication is tested on animals. But even if it was, I'm not sure how this would involve pain and suffering, necessarily. I'm a vegetarian but I don't use homoeopathic medicine, in answer to the OP and I have no problem with using medication personally.

As for animal derived ingredients, this is a fair point if you are a vegan I guess but I'm pretty sure most medicine, as a requisite, lists its ingredients, right? So by extension, surely it is relatively simple to see which medication has stuff and which doesn't. :dontknow:

Last time I checked it was a requirement for each new medication to be tested on an animal before going to human trials. Well the medication may not be right which would harm the animal through side effects. Also animals which have been tested on are usually euthanised once the testing has finished, so many animals die. Yes that is true, but for me, unfortunately, it has taken a long time to find the right meds, so if mine do have animal ingredients its very hard for me to convince my doctors to let me change my meds
Reply 8
Last time I checked it was a requirement for each new medication to be tested on an animal before going to human trials. Well the medication may not be right which would harm the animal through side effects. Also animals which have been tested on are usually euthanised once the testing has finished, so many animals die. Yes that is true, but for me, unfortunately, it has taken a long time to find the right meds, so if mine do have animal ingredients its very hard for me to convince my doctors to let me change my meds

Is there anywhere I can find out more about this?
Original post by Pawsies
Well it does, but it's very diluted.

You'll probably be taking in more animal parts every time you breathe in.

Edit: But I geuss the issue is more with that animals were used or killed for the product.
Well, I'm vegetarian for religious reasons (Hindu), but I have no trouble accepting homeopathic and other medicines, irrespective of animal traces it may possess. Hindu vegetarianism is a choice of circumstances, like most of the religion's structure. If you're in a set of circumstances where being a vegetarian is easily manageable, then great, be a vegetarian. If you're stuck in the jungle and hunting is the only way to survive, that's okay too. So when you're sick, you need your medicine, whether or not that has been sources from animals is pretty irrelevant then.

Thanks. Did you neg rep me or something? Or was that somebody else? :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending