The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by annymous
What would happen to me ? I just caught cheating in exam today. Please someone let me know :confused: :frown:

ull probably have to got through a disciplinary hearing..worst case scenario ull have to resit the exam..!
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Original post by rizzl8
ull probably have to got through a disciplinary hearing..worst case scenario ull have to resit the exam..!

That would be the best case..
Reply 3
You will get no more than 40% for the exam, if you resit it. You could be struck off the course!
Reply 4
Original post by sharp910sh
You will get no more than 40% for the exam, if you resit it. You could be struck off the course!

any previous student get caught in exam ? what is their punishment ?
Reply 5
Would i get expelled from University ? Because i'm a postgraduate taught progamme student.

I felt hopeless right now.

you very well could do, what made you cheat? surely you knew there could be consequences
Reply 6
Original post by lucaf
you very well could do, what made you cheat? surely you knew there could be consequences

i'm so nervous that i might fail my exam because i have experiencing extreme stress from family and my scabies.
Reply 7
i'm so nervous that i might fail my exam because i have experiencing extreme stress from family and my scabies.

if you had failed without cheating you could have done a retake, and if there are personal problems they would probably give you another chance even if you failed that. but cheating a retake is the very best you could hope for, if they show you leniency
Original post by rizzl8

That's a pretty good worst case scenario.
Reply 9
zero mark? would it possible to retake again ? and what kind of disciplinary ?

I am really hopeless and no idea what would happen. I am really regretted for cheating in exam
(edited 2 years ago)
Would i get expelled from University ? Because i'm a postgraduate taught progamme student.

It will be a disciplinary hearing, and in all likelihood you're going to be kicked off the course. Focus on damage control, and try to make sure they don't push for your degree to be revoked (Which they're obliged to pursue). If you manage to just get capped at 40% with a retake, consider yourself extremely lucky.

You probably don't need to hear this, but you shouldn't have cheated. How severe was it? What did you do?
Really you need to look at what your university policy on this sort of thing is.

I'd say probably you will just get a zero for that exam and warned not to do it again - depends how you were cheating though.

You need to speak to your personal tutor who will explain your options.
Reply 12
Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
It will be a disciplinary hearing, and in all likelihood you're going to be kicked off the course. Focus on damage control, and try to make sure they don't push for your degree to be revoked (Which they're obliged to pursue). If you manage to just get capped at 40% with a retake, consider yourself extremely lucky.

You probably don't need to hear this, but you shouldn't have cheated. How severe was it? What did you do?

How to minimize the damage? What should i do ?

I was caught using mobile phone during exam with all the notes inside the phone.
(edited 11 years ago)

Lol, you're either full of ****, or an idiot. Either way, I have little sympathy.

You'll either fail that exam, but more likely is that you'll have to resit the year or be expelled from the course altogether
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by marcusfox
Really you need to look at what your university policy on this sort of thing is.

I'd say probably you will just get a zero for that exam and warned not to do it again - depends how you were cheating though.

You need to speak to your personal tutor who will explain your options.

I was caught checking my mobile phone with all the notes inside.

Any example case? I am really mentally breakdown now. This could ruin my life.
Reply 15
You have to check your own university's policy, which should be found on their website.
I was caught checking my mobile phone with all the notes inside.

Any example case? I am really mentally breakdown now. This could ruin my life.

How to minimize the damage? What should i do ? Should i just lie ?

I was caught using mobile phone during exam with all the notes inside the phone.

Well, if you're stressing, probably best not to look at some of the example cases. You have people with PhDs having their entire academic career revoked from cheating on one exam at the most extreme end of the scale, and that's all you'll find reported in the news :tongue:

Let's try and help you, answer these questions for me:

- Did you mention something about family problems? Did you have some form of mitigating circumstances?

- What university are you at?

- What has been said to you about the situation so far?

- Do the Uni know the phone had notes on it?
Reply 17
How to minimize the damage? What should i do ? Should i just lie ?

yes, more deception will totally help your case :rolleyes:

the chances of you not getting kicked out are pretty slim, and frankly you deserve it
Reply 18
The thing is, universities have proper procedures such as councillors and extenuating circumstances applications which are for cases such as yours where personal or family problems arise. The systems make sure you get a fair chance (e.g. another attempt without marks capped at 40% at a later date) if they are followed properly. By cheating they may not be lenient as you havent been to see a councillor or someone who could put your case across to academic staff etc
Reply 19
Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
Well, if you're stressing, probably best not to look at some of the example cases. You have people with PhDs having their entire academic career revoked from cheating on one exam at the most extreme end of the scale, and that's all you'll find reported in the news :tongue:

Let's try and help you, answer these questions for me:

- Did you mention something about family problems? Did you have some form of mitigating circumstances?

- What university are you at?

- What has been said to you about the situation so far?

- Do the Uni know the phone had notes on it?

my mother is sick seriously and she the only one person in my family.

I am study in University of Manchester. I cant find any student handbook state clearly about consequences of caught cheating.

Yes, the uni know about the notes in the phone.