The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Scroll to see replies

Original post by annymous
my mother is sick seriously and she the only one person in my family.

I am study in University of Manchester. I cant find any student handbook state clearly about consequences of caught cheating.

Yes, the uni know about the notes in the phone.

Oh, that's convenient then I guess, I'm familiar with Man uni policies.

You can read them yourself Here.

I think that you'd need to bring in the case about your mother and the stress you were under. The fear of failing, the provider complex, etc etc. You really need to emphasize to them that you're an otherwise extremely respectable individual, you did it as an opportunistic act out of fear, and you'll never do anything similar again.

Know this - you will be punished.

No circumstances justify academic malpractice, and a penalty must always be applied.
Although students may present evidence of mitigating circumstances (which may be taken into account when determining the penalty to be applied), it must always be borne in mind that programme handbooks encourage students to bring such circumstances to the attention of their School at the earliest possible opportunity so that the School can consider offering appropriate help.

But in all likelihood the university don't want to ruin your life. They'll try to let you continue with your degree. I hope that when you tell them the stress you're under, you'll be given a 40% retake for that module, pretty much guaranteeing you a low overall mark anyway. That's punishment enough.

Prepare yourself for the worst though. I don't think they would revoke your past qualifications in this case, which is fortunate, but in the majority of these cases students are dismissed from the course.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 21
Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
Oh, that's convenient then I guess, I'm familiar with Man uni policies.

You can read them yourself Here.

I think that you'd need to bring in the case about your mother and the stress you were under. The fear of failing, the provider complex, etc etc. You really need to emphasize to them that you're an otherwise extremely respectable individual, you did it as an opportunistic act out of fear, and you'll never do anything similar again.

Know this - you will be punished.

But in all likelihood the university don't want to ruin your life. They'll try to let you continue with your degree. I hope that when you tell them the stress you're under, you'll be given a 40% retake for that module, pretty much guaranteeing you a low overall mark anyway. That's punishment enough.

Prepare yourself for the worst though. I don't think they would revoke your past qualifications in this case, which is fortunate, but in the majority of these cases students are dismissed from the course.

Thanks for the reply. I will try my best to minimize the damage. hopefully i can continue my course.
In all honesty, I feel sorry for you.

I hope you do pull through this tough time. :frown:

Just keep calm!
Reply 23
Original post by Golden_Boy786
In all honesty, I feel sorry for you.

I hope you do pull through this tough time. :frown:

Just keep calm!

Thanks, I would meet head of faculty tomorrow for apologize and write a letter.
Thanks, I would meet head of faculty tomorrow for apologize and write a letter.

That doesn't seem to bad, quite a light way to handle the situation. Hopefully, it won't get worse than this.

Just make sure you make a very sincere apology.

Good Luck
Reply 25
Original post by Cookidge
That would be the best case..

best case would be if they let him off the hook!
Reply 26
Sounds bad maybe you can talk to tomclarky or ------
They are super at giving advice out like this
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 27
damnnn... what did you do just whack the phone out mid way exam? Even in my GCSE's i couldnt of done that :redface:
Reply 28
Original post by marcusfox
Really you need to look at what your university policy on this sort of thing is.

I'd say probably you will just get a zero for that exam and warned not to do it again - depends how you were cheating though.

You need to speak to your personal tutor who will explain your options.

I agree with this. I can't see them kicking you out unless they have a problem with cheaters and wish to clamp down. If you are really worried or believe you are likely to be kicked out then withdraw from the course and start afresh elsewhere before they kick you out.
Reply 29
Original post by rizzl8
best case would be if they let him off the hook!

Of course!
Reply 30
i cant help myself to think i am gonna being expel from university.
As a post-grad, studying at university, you should really know better. Ridiculous. I can somewhat understand fools who cheat at GCSE, maybe a tiiiiiiiny bit at college, but university? Good timing mate.
Reply 32
i cant help myself to think i am gonna being expel from university.

Just chill out, it has happened. Nothing can be done to change that now, just focus on damage limitation.

Go see your head of faculty tomorrow as soon as you can. Even email them now if you feel that would help get some of the weight of it off yourself. Write a letter explaining everything like why you resorted to cheating and then be reasonable with them. Talk to the head of faculty in a polite sincere way. Show you sorry, etc.

Best of luck for the situation YOU have put YOURSELF in.

Live and learn
Reply 33
You don't deserve to be at university if you couldn't have thought of a more elaborate, subtle way to cheat than getting your phone out :rolleyes:
Original post by Futurism
Just chill out, it has happened. Nothing can be done to change that now, just focus on damage limitation.

Go see your head of faculty tomorrow as soon as you can. Even email them now if you feel that would help get some of the weight of it off yourself. Write a letter explaining everything like why you resorted to cheating and then be reasonable with them. Talk to the head of faculty in a polite sincere way. Show you sorry, etc.

Best of luck for the situation YOU have put YOURSELF in.

Live and learn

Lmao. Love your sig. I like how all the three guys at the front jump, and you get that chillaxed dude leaning on the yellow mat casually watching :biggrin:
Why cheat though it doesn't make sense, chances are at best you'll have to resit the exam but at worse they can kick you off the course.
Reply 36
You'll have to talk to the head of your course? If you had family/health/personal problems then you may be let off 'easy' providing you go about it the right way. I mean see your doctor, the uni's councillor perhaps? I'm sure there will be a punishment, it just depends how harsh it is.
What would happen to me ? I just caught cheating in exam today. Please someone let me know :confused: :frown:

hope you don't mind me asking but how did you get caught
How to minimize the damage? What should i do ? Should i just lie ?

I was caught using mobile phone during exam with all the notes inside the phone.

oh you got caught with the phone.you should always expect to get caught.
Reply 39
Manchester Uni examination guidelines state that just for having a mobile phone on you in an exam carries the following penalty:

"It is a serious offence to take to your examination desk any mobile phone, pager or other electronic means of communication or tape/CD/MP3 player. If you are caught in possession of any unauthorized equipment, whether or not you intended to use it, it will be confiscated by invigilators. You will be subject to disciplinary action and will normally find that, as a minimum penalty, your examination paper will be cancelled (that is, given a mark of zero). More severe penalties are available, depending on the circumstances of individual cases."

Section 11 here: http://www.tlso.manchester.ac.uk/map/teachinglearningassessment/assessment/sectiond-theprocessofassessment/examinationsguidanceforstudents/

And that's before you're caught using it to cheat, so expect worse.
(edited 11 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending