The Student Room Group

Why can't we drill into the earth's mantle for electricity?

"Down there" is really hot and if we can just go far enough to get over 100 degrees worth of heat then we can generate steam and all the world's problems will be solved? It can't be that hard?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well they do have geothermal power stations that pump water down as far as possible, allow it to come back up as steam to propel turbines.
But they can only do it where it's hot quite high up (near geysers and things) because drill technology isn't advanced enough yet.
It is too deep and hot for modern technology to handle.
Reply 3
Original post by whyumadtho
It is too deep and hot for modern technology to handle.

Yeah but can't they cool the drill with liquid helium or something?
Reply 4
Original post by S.R
"Down there" is really hot and if we can just go far enough to get over 100 degrees worth of heat then we can generate steam and all the world's problems will be solved? It can't be that hard?

Most materials available to mankind will melt at the temperatures on the edge of the mantle. Those that don't will corrode incredibly fast, meaning any infrastructure (pipes etc) we put down there will be destroyed within a matter of weeks. Most damagingly, the steam will readily react with any metal (except platinum group metals, which are some of the ones that will melt, and cost several hundred million dollars per tonne anyway) leading to your exhaust gas containing an explosive quantity of Hydrogen, which will then of course catch fire when it comes into contact with the surface atmosphere.

There's also the issue of the high-pressure lava down there that you're effectively drilling down to. Tunnels that connect to high-pressure lava are better known as Volcanoes.

Original post by S.R

Vaporising the liquid helium into gaseous helium inside a cooling pipe, causing a dramatic increase in pressure and, shortly, an explosion.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by S.R

theoretically but there is a real shortage of liquid helium at the moment and is needed in so many vital areas of life, MRI scanners to name one, that it would take a real viable plan before that could even be considered
I actually think I drop IQ points every time you post a new thread...
Reply 7
Yeah we might as well use all the earths oceans to make a massive generator too.
Reply 8
Original post by Felix Felicis
I actually think I drop IQ points every time you post a new thread...

He's permabanned now :nopity:
Reply 9
Original post by S.R

It's too far. Above the continental crust we'd have to drill at least 30 km deep, and above the oceanic crust it would be at least 5 km plus the depth of the ocean itself. The deepest hole that's ever been drilled by mankind is ~ 12 km deep through continental crust, and it took 22 years to get that far.
Original post by nyan~
He's permabanned now :nopity:

:woo:
Doesn't geothermal energy do something similar? :smile:
Original post by S.R
Why can't we drill into the earth's mantle for electricity?

Because this, but 10,000 times larger:

[video="youtube;3GJUD731z10"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GJUD731z10[/video]
Hold on... did he really get 1010 warning points? Did he post about 101 Edexcel exams or something?
Reply 14
:woo:

Your IQ points are saved! :teehee:
Original post by nyan~
Your IQ points are saved! :teehee:

Not to mention my sanity :rolleyes:

Distinctively remember this thread...

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2195351

Ignorance :facepalm:
Original post by S.R

Instead, it might be better to move the Sahara up to here, then we could all bask in the heat.

Your plan is a good one though and we should all phone President Obama and ask him to implement. Drilling will take place in Norfolk, as being lower-lying, it's less far to go. Coolant can also be provided by vaporising the Wash.

That's a nice thread. I can see his point. Maybe we should also stop teaching all languages, now we have Google Translate? And how to look about you and recognise landmarks, or read street signs, due to the existence of Google Maps.

It all makes total sense.
Reply 18

:rofl2: I like to think he was a troll who knew exactly what he was doing.
Reply 19
Am i the only one wary of the fact that if we drilled a hole right down to the mantle the pressure there would force magma directly through it?

As for the idea there's really no need, we simply need a proper review of geothermal sites and can use the relatively shallow heat in these places (western Scotland and Cornwall being some).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending