The Student Room Group

What's the etiquette with x's

Ok I'm sure it's been asked before but I wanna ask it now. What's the deal with x's in texts and fb and stuff like that.

How many? What does quantity mean? What does it mean if suddenly someone uses them when they didn't before? Etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Don't use them, save yourself the hassle.
The general rule is not to worry about it too much.

Everyone has their own protocol when it comes to x's.
Be erratic and unpredictable, makes you seem like you don't give a FUARK. Dazzle her with a confident 4, then when she returns this, pretend like it was nothing and follow it up with a measly 2. Don't be afraid to be volatile like a little sweaty free-radical.
Reply 4
I copy however many the person texting me sends. This means my exes never received any, a lot of people receive one, one friend I had received three (but apparently she also had this strategy so I have no idea how we got on to three), and I have one friend I randomly do one or two with because she seems to go random lol.
There really isn't much to them.

I very rarely use them in messages, however my friends pretty much always display x's at the end of their texts/FB. I hope they don't mind that it isn't reciprocated. :colondollar:
I only use them with people who send me them :biggrin:

... And the guy I like. SHUSH.
A few (up to three) for close friends and family, none for normal friends and randomers, and a lot for my boyfriend, varies on how much i can be bothered to press the button on the screen :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I never notice nor use them. I can't believe how much though people put into them tbh.
Much easier to just ignore them completely and if someone acts offended just say 'Oh sorry, I never use them for anyone lol', with xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx' to compensate for all the ones you'll never send.
But then again I'm cynical and hate any sign of affection so :dontknow:
I only use them with specific people who end a text or whatever with a kiss (a few friends, my sister). Other than that I might rarely use them with a partner but I'm not too fussed about it.
Reply 10
I tried it once, felt kind of bent so i stopped.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by marcus2001
Be erratic and unpredictable, makes you seem like you don't give a FUARK. Dazzle her with a confident 4, then when she returns this, pretend like it was nothing and follow it up with a measly 2. Don't be afraid to be volatile like a little sweaty free-radical.

I wish I hadn't of used up all my rep :'(
I never use them, most of my friends don't either. The ones that do generally stop once they realise that I'm not using them. I just don't quite see the point in them, hope I'm not offending my friends :tongue:
Original post by bssjonny
I tried it once, felt kind of bent so i stopped.

:laugh:
Original post by bssjonny
I wish I hadn't of used up all my rep :'(

Tomorrows another day
Reply 15
it depends on who with. With my ex girlfriend, x' communicated moods. one x, something was wrong, two xx, everything was okay, more than 2 things we're very good etc.
But with my friend's girlfriend, i get the 3 but that means nothing, my friend get 20 from her. So they do mean things but it depends on the person.
Reply 16
I personally don't put any to anyone as they are pointless
With acquaintances, I put x, with close friends (male or female) I put xx, if I send a particularly romantic text to a boyfriend I'd send more x's but I think it's quite a teenage/young thing to worry about the x's? Especially if you're texting so much during the day, it gets annoying having to put x's on or to get worried if your partner or friend doesn't put any at the end of a text.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending