The Student Room Group

How to deal with a friend who keeps AMOGing me?

AMOGing = Alpha Male of The Group. Example - Proving your alpha male characteristics in a group or trying to gain dominance over a situation.

My friend keeps trying to compete with me and outdo everything I say or do. It's getting very annoying because I'm not someone who rises to the challenge and prefer to just be left alone in peace and quiet but he keeps picking on me trying to make me look stupid and small in front of my girlfriend and friends. I'm not the alpha male type so I guess it's easy for him to look tough but why does he keep doing this to me and how do I stop him?
Reply 1
Smack him?
Unfriend him.
Reply 3
Original post by natureartpeace
AMOGing = Alpha Male of The Group. Example - Proving your alpha male characteristics in a group or trying to gain dominance over a situation.

My friend keeps trying to compete with me and outdo everything I say or do. It's getting very annoying because I'm not someone who rises to the challenge and prefer to just be left alone in peace and quiet but he keeps picking on me trying to make me look stupid and small in front of my girlfriend and friends. I'm not the alpha male type so I guess it's easy for him to look tough but why does he keep doing this to me and how do I stop him?

be a man and fight it out over a match of fifa or a drinking competition !lol joke

just tell him to stop being a ****.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Ferrero Rocher
Unfriend him.

or you could poke him
Reply 5
The only way to put an AMOG in his place is either through out-AMOGing him, or neutralising him by leading him to believe your actions are platonic. In this case since he's you're friend, your only option is probably the former. You'd have to find ways to subtely best him at what he tries to do. The classic example is the high-five - an AMOG is the most likely to initiate a high-five, and there's no socially acceptable way to decline it, yet by giving him the high-five it's bending to his will. The subtle way in this case is to then hold out your hand for a 'low-five', turning the tables, requiring him then to slap your hand rather than you his. The psychology of it is very interesting to me, but I can appreciate how difficult it would be to find ways to implement this kind of behaviour yourself.

Alternatively you could have a word with him. There isn't much else that can be done.
Reply 6
He probably has low self esteem, don't sink to his level.
Reply 7
Original post by natureartpeace

If you just roll your eyes and laugh at his "jokes", then he will only end up making himself look like an attention-seeking dick. His behaviour will only work if you get riled up. Maintain self-control at all times.

Alpha males don't have to fight for attention, they get it off others. In a group dynamic, the fact that he is constantly challenging you actually signals to any girls that YOU are the alpha male, not him.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending