The Student Room Group

Bed Tax: Victims of Cuts? Social Cleansing?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by rmpr97
That's fair enough, the rich caused those problems it should be their problems.

But when they don't make mistakes and make money, by that logic, that should be their prosperity, it's their fault.

Rich's fault, they're to blame, they get the consequences, but when they do it correct, it's theirs also.

Or do you want your cake and eat it?

I don't understand a word of this. Are you saying that when the rich make money they don't prosper? Eh?
Reply 81
Original post by joker12345
These changes only apply to those on benefits. Since you didn't realise that, I can now see where you were coming from :smile: It is not an extra charge, just a reduction in benefits so the difference must be paid out of pocket.
http://www.housing.org.uk/policy/welfare_reform/‘under-occupation’_penalty.aspx

I do understand that. You don't seem to understand that a lot of people who claim housing benefit are actually employed. You also don't seem to understand that social housing is a net contributor to the treasury. You also don't seem to understand that the people that housing benefit does subsidise are private landlords.

So tell me...how is social housing subsidised?
Reply 82
Original post by Kibalchich
I don't understand a word of this. Are you saying that when the rich make money they don't prosper? Eh?

In my head it makes so much sense, but it's hard to say.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that it's fine to blame the rich for this mess.

But when there isn't a mess, those who haven't created the wealth then can't leech on to it.

You can't blame bankers and what not for ****ing up, and then expect them to fix it and make us all money.
I do understand that. You don't seem to understand that a lot of people who claim housing benefit are actually employed. You also don't seem to understand that social housing is a net contributor to the treasury. You also don't seem to understand that the people that housing benefit does subsidise are private landlords.

So tell me...how is social housing subsidised?

1) them being employed is irrelevant here. 2) how does it contribute to the treasury? The treasury are paying benefits to people, the people pay them back in return for rent, what's left is the cost of building/maintaining the properties, which comes out of the treasury, is taxpayers money. Here is the subsidy. 3) yes, private landlords earn from housing benefits but this is irrelevant.
Reply 84
1) them being employed is irrelevant here. 2) how does it contribute to the treasury? The treasury are paying benefits to people, the people pay them back in return for rent, what's left is the cost of building/maintaining the properties, which comes out of the treasury, is taxpayers money. Here is the subsidy. 3) yes, private landlords earn from housing benefits but this is irrelevant.

I suggest you go back and re-read the thread and have a look at the posts I have made and the evidence I have posted to back my argument up.
Reply 85
Original post by rmpr97
In my head it makes so much sense, but it's hard to say.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that it's fine to blame the rich for this mess.

But when there isn't a mess, those who haven't created the wealth then can't leech on to it.

You can't blame bankers and what not for ****ing up, and then expect them to fix it and make us all money.

Who is leeching on what? In what way? Describe the process.
Reply 86
Who is leeching on what? In what way? Describe the process.

Well obviously the leeching if you will is inevitable, because if big banking corporations are prosperous this naturally multiplies everywhere else.

What I'm trying to say is, there's no point harping on about the mistakes of the rich, because at the end of the day there the ones who everyone expects to 'make it better' and made the wealth in the first place to then cock it all up.
Reply 87
Original post by rmpr97
Well obviously the leeching if you will is inevitable, because if big banking corporations are prosperous this naturally multiplies everywhere else.

What I'm trying to say is, there's no point harping on about the mistakes of the rich, because at the end of the day there the ones who everyone expects to 'make it better' and made the wealth in the first place to then cock it all up.

Who expects them to "make it better"?
Reply 88
You do know that during this current recession, the rich have actually got richer?
I suggest you go back and re-read the thread and have a look at the posts I have made and the evidence I have posted to back my argument up.

I've already refuted those, but I guess you don't have any response to my points so we can leave it.
Reply 90
I've already refuted those, but I guess you don't have any response to my points so we can leave it.

You've refuted them? Where? I've seen no comment from you about the complexities of social housing finance and housing revenue accounts? Which post was this?
God we'll be taxed on the amount of times we go to the toilet next, stupid idea again from the Tories.
Reply 92
Original post by Rock Fan
God we'll be taxed on the amount of times we go to the toilet next, stupid idea again from the Tories.

It's a deduction from housing benefit, not a proper tax :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending