The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Should toddlers be able to vote? There has to be a cut off point and 18 seems quite reasonable. Many younger people don't even bother to vote as it is,how different the country would be if they actually gave a damn.
Reply 61
I believe at 16 it is not viable for a person to vote. As politics is not taught in this country properly, I strong doubt the majority of 16 year olds would read into the manifestos of the parties they are voting for, if they even bother to vote at all. A prime example is the amount of people on my facebook whose political views are "Who gives a ****" or something along those lines. I think it should stay at 18 fo'sho!
Raise it to 21 I'd say
Give more political ed in schools and maybe so.
On issues that directly affect them ie the education system then yes but otherwise 18 is a good age. Think there should be some kind of vote on all these a level reforms. Otherwise 18 is right

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know some 16 year olds that should be shot, never mind giving them the vote.

Oh yeah because that's something that needs a neg. Get a life.
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
16 year old should not vote because their still young
Reply 67
Not entirely sure whether my opinion will be worth much, but I believe that the age should be raised to 25. My reason for this is that, alot of 18 year olds (or most people below this age) do not truly know lies and deceit, or what is better for the people. In my opinion, age should be raised or some more restrictions should be put in place such as being employed.
I'm 16 and I'm not as politically ignorant as some are implying here. I see plenty of uneducated folk on the News, and they lecture that we shouldn't be doing this, that and another, when they don't know how much we're in a defecit and are considering facts. I, in no way follow my parent's views, and probably have a better knowledge of politics/economics than your 40 year lay man.
No. 16 year olds are nowhere near ready. This is just a cynical tactic from parties who think they'll do well with the younger voters.

I don't know if it exists in the UK, but in the US someone under 18 can become emancipated by proving they are economically self-sufficient and do not rely on parents for anything. I'd be OK with these people voting.
I don't see why not, there's hardly a great gulf between 16 and 18 year old's in most regards anyway.

at 16 people are considered old enough to do plenty of things so why not let them vote.
During the last general election I read the major party manifestos and attended a local hustings. I voted based on the outcome of my research. Most people I spoke to didn't know the manifestos are available to read let alone know what a hustings is. So no. If anything, it should be raised.
Reply 72
I really resent the people saying 16 year olds don't have the mental capacity, I on the other hand, am only 15 and I think it would be a good opportunity for the 16 year old who can be bothered to vote. That way, at least we have the chance to have some influence on who will mess up over education system. Sometimes it feels like our own development and education isn't in our hands.
Reply 73
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
Are you kidding? Most people in their forties are horribly ill-informed about political issues, let alone sixteen year olds. Age is a very bad way to select people for suffrage, in my view.

I second your opinion.
Reply 74
I personally think that 16-year-olds should be allowed to vote. I'd like to vote, and those people who don't care will just not bother registering to vote.
Reply 75
16-YEAR OLDS SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED TO VOTE
In my oponion, I think they are too ignorant to comprehend the world of politics, let alone, make right choices as to who to vote for.
Reply 76
No.

Most of them will probably vote for who their parents vote for or an extremist party to look cool. Also, they're terribly naive at that age, will listen to almost anything they hear on the news and take it as truth. They're also selfish and will vote for Labour just so they can see EMA into their bank accounts again.
I'd love there to be some kind of "Political Aptitude Test" which you have to pass in order to vote.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 78
Original post by Chlorophile
I'd love there to be some kind of "Political Aptitude Test" which you have to pass in order to vote.

****ing Hell, i do hope you're not over 18.
Not sure that a whole lot of 16 year olds are too bothered about voting, especially given the 18 year olds I know who don't care about having that right.
Even without getting into broad generalisations about 16 year olds, there just doesn't seem to be a mandate for this. Definitely not a good idea though.

Latest

Trending

Trending