The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

How hard is it to get accepted for International Relations?

As a mature student? I'm studying an Access Course currently, which I know they accept. I'll be 22 when I start University. But from what I've read; LSE has a high foreign student rate. They prefer to accept international students? Is it really that hard to get accepted? What criteria do they use to select students?
I'm really passionate about the subject, the only thing I can think of that might give me a decent chance are my language skills. I speak semi-fluent Spanish (C1 Level) and Intermediate Korean.

How hard is it to get into LSE?
Reply 1
They prefer to accept international students?

Depends what you mean by this. If you are implying they will choose an international over a home student if both are equal then you'll be wrong. They accept a high proportion of internationals because a lot of internationals apply to LSE. They do not discriminate against either home or international studies, and nor does any other university for that matter

Is it really that hard to get accepted?

Yes it is hard you are applying to LSE but that shouldn't put you off

What criteria do they use to select students?

Umm... grades? references? They use the information you give them.

How hard is it to get into LSE?

The typical applicant to admission ratio is something like 15:1 so you can expect to be hard. If it was easy then LSE will be far less prestigious

Sorry for being blunt but I think it gets the message across clearer. If you want to go there then apply, don't let the competition scare you
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
The ratio is 28:1 for International Relations. This is one of the most competitive courses in the UK.
Reply 3
Original post by CEKTOP
The ratio is 28:1 for International Relations. This is one of the most competitive courses in the UK.

A little misleading as it tells you nothing about the number of offers or the quality of other applicants. Still relatively competitive though
Reply 4
Original post by amg_22
A little misleading as it tells you nothing about the number of offers or the quality of other applicants. Still relatively competitive though

Applications 2011:

First year students 2011:

Most applicants are predicted AAA or more
Reply 5
Original post by CEKTOP
Applications 2011:

First year students 2011:

Most applicants are predicted AAA or more

Yes first year students is not equal to the number of offers made
Reply 6
Original post by amg_22
Yes first year students is not equal to the number of offers made