The Student Room Group

GCSE OCR Gateway Science B 24/1/13 (Core Science B1 C1 P1)

Hi everyone.

Sat the exam for the first module of GCSE core science. How did people get on? Wanted to know some of the answers people put, so that I can have a rough idea of how I did.

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i found it really hard, can i ask u what u put for the these questions :

how does oil and emulsion paint dry?

I put oil paint drys by evaporating then oygen oxidised it. I didnt bother with emulsion

Also for the vaccination question i put

Vaccination injects a harmless pathegon into your body however white blood cells will kill it however when they do some remember this pathegon so when you get it again it is automatically killed without you knowing.

can u tel me what u put for these questions thanks.
Reply 2
Hi, I didn't know how oil and emulsion paint dried haha, I think I wrote that the solvent in oil evaporates or something - I'm pretty sure it's wrong. Didn't write anything about emulsion.

What you put about vaccination was along the lines of what I put too, so don't worry!

What did you put for the question about people with darker skin being better protected from the sun? I said they had more melanin in their skin, but none of my friends wrote that.

Thanks.
Reply 3
for the darker skin one i put :

darker skin absorbs uv radiation

most of my friends put that as well.

Also for the first question the units one do you think i could be marked down because i put the guy has 4.4 units of alcohol however the answer is 4.45
wanted to ask,you guys i did the exam not b1c1p1 it was b3 and i wrote a word to do with it on my hand,whild i slosed my paper the teacher saw it she goes she is going to report me and took a pic...and write that i cheated,becasue its classed as it,,pople make mistakes and learn from them,they obviosuly will disqualify me for that exam or will they do it for all my science ones i did them last year and only one this year which i dint cheat on :/ but stil.will they scrap them and not let me do science at all or only that unit as they dont have evidence that i cheated on them papeers except for the one that was done today?if then do disqualify me alltogether can i do my sience with anoter examining body?
Reply 5
Original post by sunil111
for the darker skin one i put :

darker skin absorbs uv radiation

most of my friends put that as well.

Also for the first question the units one do you think i could be marked down because i put the guy has 4.4 units of alcohol however the answer is 4.45

Damn, that's what a lot of my friends put too.
I'm not sure how many marks it was worth, but if it was worth 2 they'll probably still give you one.
Reply 6
samantha i dont think they'll cancel all your papers just one, josh yeah ino and for that

balanced symbol equation one how much 2's did you put i put 2 however i should of put 3 i feel so stupid

oh and also what did you put for the one where it says britain need the north sea oils explain why
Reply 7
For the balanced symbol equation I put 2CO+2NO produces N2+2CO2 if you get what I mean because you can't do small 2s on here, lol.

The one about UK and the North sea confused me. I said about it being easier to get oil from there than from Arab countries because of all of the political issues. I also said that they had more petrol than the other countries, and we use lots of petrol.
Reply 8
i put along the same lines and also for the symbol equation i forgot to put one 2 infront of the co2 and i feel like an idiot haha. uno for the 80 hz question it asks you to tell you what it is

did you just put 80 hertz because thats what i put
Reply 9
You'll still get a mark for having the right formula even if it's unbalanced :smile: and I put something like"80 waves pass a certain point per second", or is that wave speed?
can you all help me!! i feel that i found it easy in the exam but i didnt have time to check through my answers. please can you tell me the answers you all wrote for some of the questions because i am now nervois to see how i did!!:confused::confused::confused:
Reply 11
josh i think what you wrote is frequency but im not sure and jack umm for the question about oil rifinerys asking you how they deal with to much oil i wrote

They deal with to much by cracking, this is used to break the longchain hydrocarbon molecules into shorter chains. They do this because its more useful
Reply 12
What even is Hertz a measurement of?:L
Reply 13
no idea lol and do you know the grade boundaries so how much marks for a B because thats what i really really want
Reply 14
I don't think we get told unfortunately, but it would be nice to find out what the grade boundaries are :smile:
Reply 15
Forgot to ask, one of the questions that really confused me was in the Physics part, the one with the prisms. What were the asking for? I just did a line that was symmetrical to the other one (angle of incidence = angle of reflection), but I didn't know if that was right.
Reply 16
that was difficult but josh i did the exact same as you i drew the line symetrical. however for the testing cosmetics on animals what did u put i put that

people sthink testing on animals is wrong because it is animal cruelity however some people think its ok to test on animals because it could harm humans
Reply 17
Haha, fingers crossed we're right. A lot of my friends did the same too.

I put basically the same thing for the animal testing question as you did. :smile:
Reply 18
what grade are you aiming for anyway? i do think 18 marks a C because my teacher said that if you get 6 marks on all the 6 mark-questions then its basically a C
Reply 19
An A or an A*. I don't know about that, I should think it would be higher because it's out of 75 marks. If it is, I'm sorted haha.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending